Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11-like Terrorist Attack

28,638 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Check out all the coverage of North Korea that Vice has put out. They were the ones who got Dennis Rodman and The Harlem Globetrotters in there... It is truly fascinating stuff.

The Hermit Kingdom

The Vice Guide to North Korea - 3 Part Series
Great stuff. Truly weird country.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
the eventual movie about these hacks will be awesome.
Only if we can get Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman to play Franco and Rogen.
israeliag
AG
Sounds to me like either NK contracted Russian/Eastern-European hackers, or an Anonymous type group committed this.

Neither would gain from committing a physical and lethal act of terrorism.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not sure if it's been posted, but it's been pulled by Regal and AMC now.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-theater-owners-pull-the-interview-terror-threats-1201327612/
SeattleAgJr
Yeah. Not surprised by the outcome. While the threats are very very likely b.s., there is the real result that people would likely avoid going to theatres showing the film which would cut down on ALL box office during an already down year.

Either delay it until Spring or release on VOD immediately.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
the eventual movie about these hacks will be awesome.
Only if we can get Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman to play Franco and Rogen.

I was thinking Jonah Hill and Dave Franco
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It's too bad. This was one that I really wanted to see in the theaters.

I like that we are seeing numerous groups of actors/comedians/writers/directors who are collaborating on projects these days. Reminds of the 80's when the members of SNL/SCTV and their friends were putting out all those great movies.

We've got one group of Rogen, Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride and more making some good stuff. Then, there are the members of The State (and then Reno 911!) and all their friends who are doing stuff all over the place (if you haven't seen it, Childrens Hospital is a 'who's who' of funny people).

You may be getting tired of Rogen and Franco, but I enjoy seeing these constant collaborations among all these actors who really seem to enjoy working together in anything.
VanZandt92
I would go see it, but I've taken a pledge not to watch any more ****ty Seth Rogen or James Franco movies. Just glad I didn't take the pledge before Freaks and Geeks.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
We've got one group of Rogen, Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride and more making some good stuff. Then, there are the members of The State (and then Reno 911!) and all their friends who are doing stuff all over the place (if you haven't seen it, Childrens Hospital is a 'who's who' of funny people).

You may be getting tired of Rogen and Franco, but I enjoy seeing these constant collaborations among all these actors who really seem to enjoy working together in anything.

I get that a lot of people are probably tired of them, and can find them annoying, but I love these guys. I wish they'd do a This Is The End type movie every year.
TCTTS
AG
ABC News / 'Sony Hack Believed to Be Routed Through Infected Computers Overseas'

"The primary suspects are members of an elite North Korean cyber-security unit known as 'Bureau 121,' the sources also confirmed today."
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Is that officially North Korea threats then? If so, how childish.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I bet they release it online before the week is out.
Simplebay
AG
i actually didnt expect them all to pull it. I thought Sony might pull it, but not the theaters.

crazy. what a bad precedent this sets.

surely this must constitute a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
Sex Panther
AG
North Korea isn't going to commit any kind of violence. This is such bad precedent by the studio.
israeliag
AG
quote:
I wish they'd do aThis Is The End type movie every year.
Agreed, although I'd wish they'd just release a movie without any McGuffin. I don't need an end of the world, or assassination plot. Just give me another James Franco is throwing a party situation, and it doesn't need anything else. Just put the lot of them in a room, or do it documentary style and follow them (real or scripted/improved) over a single night and it'd be funny enough.
bangobango
AG
So, I got an email yesterday from Sony asking me to verify my new account. I kept racking my brain trying to think if I registered for a game or something yesterday and couldn't remember. I couldn't think of anything, so I ignored it.

Now I come across this and wonder if it's related?
reb,
AG
the chilling effect has begun in earnest

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/17/7411845/north-korea-thriller-starring-steve-carell-has-been-canceled
R0GUE
AG
Could be phishing. Don't click on the link in the email. If you want to change your password go to Sonys site directly.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
surely this must constitute a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
Those North Koreans better "GET OFF MY PLANE!!!"
.......wait, wrong movie.
Furlock Bones
AG
i'm guessing Sony Japan pulled this. according to the emails, this was the first time they have ever really gotten involved. no one is worried about a US strike from NK. but, i bet the Japanese are feeling the heat.
Quinn
AG
quote:
Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for 'The Interview' on Christmas
TCTTS
AG
And... it's official: Sony has cancelled the release altogether. At this point I expected as much, but still cannot believe it's come to this. We literally gave way to the demands of terrorists. Insane.
TCTTS
AG
Beat me to it.
VanZandt92
Watching Seth Rogen makes me miss Philip Seymour Hoffman in a weird way.

And Sony Walkmans were cheaply made.
Scientific
AG
Sony is a Japanese company though.
Pignorant
AG
Does the movie go straight to DVD now?
Carlo4
AG
Did the North Koreans object to "Team America: World Police"?

I'm assuming they didn't. Guessing they changed the ending to have the North Koreans win in the end (when they sang the "America EFF YEAH" song slowly) and used it for propaganda.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Sony is a Japanese company though.
what point are you trying to make?
VanZandt92
quote:
Does the movie go straight to DVD now?

Probably not a bad thing for the world.
Bunk Moreland
Setting a stupid precedent.
LawAg05
AG
Stupid decision and precedent. Get ready for these threats to happen more often now.

I thought this quote from the article was hilarious spin:
quote:
In announcing the decision to cancel the holiday debut, Sony hit back at the hackers who threatened movie theaters and moviegoers and who have terrorized the studio and its employees for weeks.
VanZandt92
Maybe the premier was much worse than expected? Like Ishtar with Seth Rogen?
20ag07
Will be interesting to see if Netflix buys this. It's right in their wheelhouse, with a tossed away TV series already through production from NBC and exclusive Sandler movies coming up. Can definitely see them not being interested in seeing what hackers can do to their system though.
Quinn
AG
The only review I saw ( HitFix) gave it an A-, so don't think the quality of the movie influenced their decision.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.