Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11-like Terrorist Attack

28,592 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, this movie won't make a lot of money. That release window is tiny, and if it's as bad as reviews suggest (or even if it's just mediocre), word of mouth won't be there to help it out if Sony tries to widen the release.

I wonder if NK will follow through with another release, or if we've jacked their internet up enough to dissuade them.
AggieDPT
AG
Apparently it's going to be streamed by Sony and YouTube tomorrow.
Bobcat06
AG
Sony tried to release Tower Heist on VOD at the same time it was in theaters in 2011 to build their streaming service. I believe ultimately they want to circumvent the middle man (theaters) and go all VOD. Like Netflix, but with brand new movies.

I expect them to use The Interview as a trial balloon.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Hey, for 5.99, I'm down for that. My parents have a home theater we'll probably watch it at their place tomorrow.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
A stream of the Interview will go live on YouTube, Xbox and Google Play at 1 p.m. Eastern Today: http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/24/media/interview-digital-release/index.html
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, already up on youtube for 5.99
jeffk
AG
quote:
Too bad I don't even know what unbroken is. Everybody knows what the interview is ...now

I think you are in the minority of never hearing of Unbroken.
Texaggie7nine
What's unbroken?
7nine
redd38
AG
Do you people not watch TV? Or go to the movies? I can't go 3 damn minutes without see an ad for Unbroken.

My cousin doesn't own a TV and knows what Unbroken is.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
What's unbroken?
Angelina Jolie taking a dump on the life of Louis Zamperini
nai06
AG
Saw the interview yesterday on vod. Not bad overall. Definitely not as good as some other seth rogen films but still solid.
twenty two ags
quote:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Seems to be a lot of talk saying NK was not responsible for this (as they have stated all along) and is much more likely that this was someone from within the industry.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
reb,
AG
quote:
Seems to be a lot of talk saying NK was not responsible for this (as they have stated all along) and is much more likely that this was someone from within the industry.
There is skeptical chatter among security professionals and that is it. The root of their skepticism is more that the officially released evidence by the feds isn't sufficient for certain attribution of the hack to NK. Yes, it could be an inside job but that is 100% conjecture on their part, from what I'm seeing.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Well that's their point, as well. The FBIs released evidence indicates their belief that NK is responsible is conjecture, also. NK is publicly denying responsibility which is peculiar considering how much they boast about trying to make WMD and destroying the US and SK.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ashleyschaeffer
I'm surprised so many believe so strongly that NoKo had anything to do with this.
nai06
AG
What's your theory?
ashleyschaeffer
That it was likely an inside job, the results of which were sensationalized by the media who suggested it was NoKo because of the movie. Once that was thrown out there as a possibility it caught on and everyone gravitated that way because it makes for an easy answer/someone to blame. Gives talking heads something to talk about, Sony a way to "hide" their own problems (which just got worse), and the Feds a boogeyman to single out and bully.

I don't doubt that there are counties that can do this, I just doubt very seriously it was done in this instance, and by North Korea of all countries.

Or maybe it was the Chinese all along testing out a new cyber weapon as a shot across the bow. Next time it's the nuke power plants, electrical grid, and water supply. That would suck.
20ag07
quote:
200+ cinemas now. This is going to be a huge financial success.
It's done $15M via streaming since release and $3M in theaters its first weekend. While a smash for a VOD release, this is less than what it likely would have done pre all of this. And since hype had it pretty front loaded, this thing probably does less than $60M domestic gross box office and streaming during a normal theatrical window timeframe.

THR

Its theatre per screen averages were less than half of Unbroken, The Hobbit, and Into the Woods; and just even with Annie and Night of the Museum in their 2nd weekends.
redd38
AG
This Is The End made $20 million opening weekend and Pineapple Express made $23 million, so not too far off those considering the circumstances.
el aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Its theatre per screen averages were less than half of Unbroken, The Hobbit, and Into the Woods; and just even with Annie and Night of the Museum in their 2nd weekends.

I would imagine a lot of that has to do with releasing through places like Alamo Drafthouse, which has a far smaller capacity per showing than a normal theater.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.