mRNA Reverse Transcription to DNA

5,491 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by petebaker
BQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am interested in some expert opinion this article that just came out:

https://www.mdpi.com/1467-3045/44/3/73/htm

It apparently shows that the Pfizer mRNA vaccine can alter the DNA in human cells, in opposition to the accepted view that this cannot happen.
Kunkle for Congress TX-34
Just heard about that initial paper as well. More research will surely come out.

Similar to shingles showing up after chickenpox, the consequences are unknown.
amercer
AG
" Furthermore, a recent study showed that SARS-CoV-2 RNA can be reverse-transcribed and integrated into the genome of human cells."

I doubt either happens with any regularity. The paper showing that Covid-19 gets into the genome is controversial, and no one has shown any evidence outside of cell lines. Actual retroviruses have to carry around a lot of machinery to convert their genomes to DNA and integrate into host chromosomes. The chances of that happening to a random bit of RNA in a healthy cell is basically zero.
Windy City Ag
AG
The rebuttals I have seen are pretty wonky and tend to bash folks as clueless anti-vaxxers. They contain a few good points.

1) Study is In Vitro So already suspect and likely useless

2) The experiment was rigged to force this output using doses and steps that would never occur in any sort of real world vaccine process

3) The Huh7 cells used for the process are derived from cancer cells rather than somatic cells so again suspect

4) The part about the RNA actually reversing back into the DNA was just speculation on the part of the authors. They couldn't actually show that happening.

94chem
amercer said:

" Furthermore, a recent study showed that SARS-CoV-2 RNA can be reverse-transcribed and integrated into the genome of human cells."

I doubt either happens with any regularity. The paper showing that Covid-19 gets into the genome is controversial, and no one has shown any evidence outside of cell lines. Actual retroviruses have to carry around a lot of machinery to convert their genomes to DNA and integrate into host chromosomes. The chances of that happening to a random bit of RNA in a healthy cell is basically zero.
If the vaccine could do this, couldn't Covid do it as well? TIA for any explaining.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
GeographyAg
AG
This is not a kind response, but it is thorough and hits the science pretty well.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-return-of-the-revenge-of-covid-19-mrna-vaccines-permanently-alter-your-dna-and-lab-leak/
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
TheMasterplan
Lab leak theory is still a legit theory whether or not the OP is BS.

The author of rebuttal loses credibility that way. It's incredibly hard to read that unhinged blog post.
GeographyAg
AG
TheMasterplan said:

The author of rebuttal loses credibility that way. It's incredibly hard to read that unhinged blog post.
Yeah, I disagree with him on that, but I also have the capability to read the entire thing and see the logic and science in much of it. I'm not going to dismiss the whole thing because of that. YMMV, of course, but I throw it out there because he does do a thorough job of answering those articles.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
amercer
AG
94chem said:

amercer said:

If the vaccine could do this, couldn't Covid do it as well? TIA for any explaining.

I think both are exceedingly unlikely. I tried to come up with a scenario for it to happen, but it got very long and very hand wavy. Certainly there are pathways to turn RNA to DNA and have it integrate into the genome. Those pathways are really specific though and wouldn't really exist in people getting the vaccine or the virus.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
The slow COVID science evolution from "it's impossible" to "it's highly unlikely." I remember when it slowly changed from "the vaccine protects" to "you can still get sick but ______" and then on to ......
Harry Stone
AG
This could never occur with line-1. Line-1 sequence has two main open reading frames, ORF1 and ORF2. ORF1 encodes for an RNA binding protein and ORF2 has endnuclease and reverse transcription. In order for Line-1 to reverse transcribe, you have to code for both ORF1 and ORF2. The Pfizer vaccine only has 1 ORF. Reverse Transcriptase is an enzyme you have to code for in a sequence order for it to be created in the cell. Neither mRNA vaccine code for reverse transcriptase nor have a second open reading frame. Unless you code for an ORF2 in Line--1, Line-1 cannot retrostranspose to the nucleus. Im betting the fact that they used carcinoma Huh7 cells, thats what caused the increase in Line-1, even though they tried to sugar coat it by saying they did all this stuff, including using RNase to eliminate residual RNA in the cells.
94chem
TheMasterplan said:

Remember that the lab leak theory isn't a binary debate.

Covid very well could have been natural in origin, but studied in the lab, and escaped due to lax protocols. That's my theory. Andromeda Strain, Demon in the Freezer, The Hot Zone...on top of that, I work in a chemistry lab, and the scenarios are countless as to how biological agents can "get loose" from containment.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Also, nobody would have released it on purpose from WUHAN. Would require quite an elaborate conspiracy for that to make sense.
TheMasterplan
That's fine but that was also quashed as fake news and banned from social media. You have to show some humility.
Kvetch
AG
94chem said:

Also, nobody would have released it on purpose from WUHAN. Would require quite an elaborate conspiracy for that to make sense.

The question isn't really whether it was released on purpose. The question is whether the virus was subject to gain of function research and whether the point of origin is the lab in Wuhan. A genetically modified virus that was leaked from a lab has GIANT scientific and political ramifications.

Also, based on China's response and their government power over their citizenry, it's not exactly outside of the realm of possibility that they would take some collateral damage in Wuhan for greater spread. I mean, they shut down all internal travel from Wuhan while continuing to allow international travel and have rebuffed every attempt at an honest investigation. Not saying I personally believe that, but it doesn't exactly require tinfoil to believe that they would do something of that nature to try and destabilize their enemies.
harge57
AG
amercer said:

Kind of like the chances of healthy person under 40 dying of COVID?
eric76
AG
amercer said:

I understand that viral RNA often does have the potential to do this.

Don't forget that something like 8% of our DNA (with individual variations) is from viruses. Borna virus DNA is apparently very common in human DNA. And apparently quite a few have poliovirus DNA.

Also, I think the amount of our DNA from bacteria is even more.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Don't forget that something like 8% of our DNA (with individual variations) is from viruses. Borna virus DNA is apparently very common in human DNA. And apparently quite a few have poliovirus DNA.
It would be an interesting mathematical exercise to think of how this grew over the very, very long arc of human existence. I read once that the oldest detectable retrovirus dates back almost 450 Million years if that is to be believed.

Given the sheer number of viruses endured by human kind and its predecessors, it makes any sort of retrovirus activity look very uncommon.
woodlees
AG
I regularly attend scientific seminars at our medical school with some world class molecular biologists that I know and respect, some of whom we have collaborated with.

When the issue of SARS CoV mRNA integration into the human genome following reverse transcription issue first came up, there was some discussion. Basically there was no one who believed it was even remotely possible in normal human cell populations. The discussion was very brief, and basically the experts scoffed at the idea. Nobody advocated for the possibility that RNA vaccines can lead to genomic integration.

Of note, the article is published in an on line journal with a low impact factor. We have already seen very poor quality articles published in the COVID era, only to subsequently be forced into retraction upon academic discussion in the broader scientific community. I suspect this article may well meet a similar fate

The sad thing about this is that these types of pseudoscience issues just will not die on the internet largely because of individuals from the lay public just cannot understand the science and appear to be bent on advancing a false agenda.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Harry Stone
AG
woodlees said:

I regularly attend scientific seminars at our medical school with some world class molecular biologists that I know and respect, some of whom we have collaborated with.

When the issue of SARS CoV mRNA integration into the human genome following reverse transcription issue first came up, there was some discussion. Basically there was no one who believed it was even remotely possible in normal human cell populations. The discussion was very brief, and basically the experts scoffed at the idea. Nobody advocated for the possibility that RNA vaccines can lead to genomic integration.

Of note, the article is published in an on line journal with a low impact factor. We have already seen very poor quality articles published in the COVID era, only to subsequently be forced into retraction upon academic discussion in the broader scientific community. I suspect this article may well meet a similar fate

The sad thing about this is that these types of pseudoscience issues just will not die on the internet largely because of individuals from the lay public just cannot understand the science and appear to be bent on advancing a false agenda.

this study was designed for the very reason to try and argue genomic integration with the vaccines and it was obvious when the scientists chose using immortal carcinoma huh7 cell lines that can self ampify line1 expression to induce reverse transcriptase. they used all normal techniques required in transfection, degradation and isolation, but knew these cell lines would already show these results. guarantee this was done in return for a nice corporate grant or investment to the lab.
eric76
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

It would be an interesting mathematical exercise to think of how this grew over the very, very long arc of human existence. I read once that the oldest detectable retrovirus dates back almost 450 Million years if that is to be believed.

Given the sheer number of viruses endured by human kind and its predecessors, it makes any sort of retrovirus activity look very uncommon.
There is a process called horizontal gene transfer or lateral gene transfer that can result in genes from one species being transferred into members of another species. It does appear to be uncommon.

One thing to remember is that the only genes that get passed on are those of the cells involved in sexual reproduction -- the gametes. So unless the modified DNA makes it to the gametes, it shouldn't be passed on. I don't know, but this might make it easy to overlook how much might go on in other cells.
AgsMyDude
AG
94chem said:

TheMasterplan said:

Remember that the lab leak theory isn't a binary debate.

Covid very well could have been natural in origin, but studied in the lab, and escaped due to lax protocols. That's my theory. Andromeda Strain, Demon in the Freezer, The Hot Zone...on top of that, I work in a chemistry lab, and the scenarios are countless as to how biological agents can "get loose" from containment.
I sort of agree with this sentiment but more emphasis on "studied" actually leaning closer to "altered"
BiochemAg97
AG
Windy City Ag said:

The rebuttals I have seen are pretty wonky and tend to bash folks as clueless anti-vaxxers. They contain a few good points.

1) Study is In Vitro So already suspect and likely useless

2) The experiment was rigged to force this output using doses and steps that would never occur in any sort of real world vaccine process

3) The Huh7 cells used for the process are derived from cancer cells rather than somatic cells so again suspect

4) The part about the RNA actually reversing back into the DNA was just speculation on the part of the authors. They couldn't actually show that happening.

Add that the Huh7 cells are derived from liver carcinoma.

Hepatitis is the greatest risk factor in developing liver cancer.

Hepatitis is a RNA virus that utilize reverse transcriptase.

There is a likely explanation that the liver carcinoma cells were infected with Hep at some point, leading to the cancer, with at least portions of Hep incorporating into the genome. It is entirely possible that this particular cell line produces a Hep reverse transcriptase that would not be found in normal cells.

BiochemAg97
AG
Also, consider the point of the vaccine is to cause a cell to produce spike protein and activate the immune system to kill the cell with the vaccine. So any cell that might incorporate the vaccine RNA into the genome is also one that is targeted for destruction.

petebaker

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.