At Home Test Question

2,217 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgsMyDude
Coates
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assuming peiple actually order them online, with the 1 billion or so tests available by mail, is this what ends covid? No way to report positives and it sort of goes away from the media/governments attention.
Aggie95
AG
Not to mention about 80% will do it incorrectly.
FlowCtlr
AG
This is actually a very interesting thought. I hope it comes true.
coolerguy12
AG
If they can microchip vaccines then they can microchip the tests they send you.
Clown_World
I don't think it will "end COVID".

I actually think this is the best way to keep COVID in the public consciousness. Huge segments of the population have immunity. Most who catch it now experience very mild symptoms. If we actually went back to just having regular colds instead of rushing to take a test every time we didn't feel right, that's what will actually "end COVID".
Coates
My point was that if everyone starts using at home tests the daily reported cases and positivity rate will be extremely low. Those are two measures governments are using to create policies and mandates, like masks on planes.

If near zero cases are reported then back to normal. I agree with what you're saying, but there's always going to be a new variant and covid will be with us forever like the flu. But we don't get daily flu cases reported, and the local news never leads with flu cases.
Clown_World
I think "normal" left the station two years ago and we aren't going back unfortunately.

You are absolutely right in that there will always be variants. I just don't have faith that the media will actually tell anyone the truth and won't let it out of the public consciousness. I don't know that COVID will ever be allowed to be like the flu…at least not for the foreseeable future.
BiochemAg97
AG
Coates said:

My point was that if everyone starts using at home tests the daily reported cases and positivity rate will be extremely low. Those are two measures governments are using to create policies and mandates, like masks on planes.

If near zero cases are reported then back to normal. I agree with what you're saying, but there's always going to be a new variant and covid will be with us forever like the flu. But we don't get daily flu cases reported, and the local news never leads with flu cases.
I'm guessing lots of people who ordered their free govt tests will take them unnecessarily and then go back to clinical tests when they actually have it. After all only 4 tests per household isn't going to go very far.

Lots of the supply problems around the at home tests in late Dec/early Jan were people taking them before and after visiting friends and family even though everyone was asymptomatic.

ETA: it will also depend on what you do with the test result. If you test positive on the at home test, is employer going to take that as a reason you miss, or will they want a clinical test? I'm sure that will be very dependent on the employer. Keep in mind, kids in UK found out they could get out of school by tricking the at home test with fruit juice.
Coates
4 tests per person per month, so a family of 4 could test 16 times a month on these.

My only point is there's no reporting, has anyone tested positive at home and let the county know? Extremely doubtful.
MiMi
S
Quote:

After all only 4 tests per household isn't going to go very far.

Besides the govt-provided tests, most insurance plans will now cover at-home tests. I received an email yesterday that I can get 8 tests every 30 days for every covered family member free of cost/$0 co-pay. For my household, that's 56 tests every 30 days! There is going to be a lot of unnecessary/improper testing and no reporting of results. It's going to be interesting to see how this impacts reported case numbers.
AgsMyDude
AG
Coates said:

4 tests per person per month, so a family of 4 could test 16 times a month on these.

My only point is there's no reporting, has anyone tested positive at home and let the county know? Extremely doubtful.

In tx I don't think rapids even count regardless of reporting. I wouldn't be surprised to see some other states like NY and CA encouraging their citizens to report them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.