COVID increases the risk of children developing Diabetes

2,932 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rubble
SamHou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7102e2.htm

Quote:

New diabetes diagnoses were 166% (IQVIA) and 31% (HealthVerity) more likely to occur among patients with COVID-19 than among those without COVID-19 during the pandemic and 116% more likely to occur among those with COVID-19 than among those with ARI during the prepandemic period. NonSARS-CoV-2 respiratory infection was not associated with diabetes.
Old Buffalo
AG
https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.com/p/does-covid19-cause-diabetes-in-kids?justPublished=true

Quote:

In IQVIA, among kids with COVID19, a whopping 68 out of 80,000+ or 0.08% ended with diabetes; among kids without COVID19, it was 132 out of 400,000+ or 0.03% ended up with diabetes, and among kids with prior respiratory infection it was ~0.06%

The absolute risk of diabetes due to COVID (if you believed this is causal) appears to be an increase on par with a swiftly eaten bag of skittles.

Now in the HealthVerity database, the risk of diabetes post COVID19 was 0.25% (a quarter of 1 percent), if you were tested for COVID19 but negative, it was 0.19% (one fifth of 1 percent). Here, COVID appears as risky as a McDonalds supersized soda.

The CDC trumpets this finding as "children and teens 18 years & younger who have had #COVID19 are up to 2.5 times more likely to have a #diabetes diagnosis after infection"

Is that a fair take away or a fear-mongering distortion?
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
aggiemike02
AG
I'm sure you're just passing on information but this is being dunked on big time. Headline garbage vs. understanding and interpreting the actual study/data.

Its sad things are still being reported this way...
GAC06
AG
Two years in and here we are
KidDoc
AG
Any virus increases the risk of Type 1 DM. It is an autoimmune disease so anything that stimulates your immune system can cause it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
planoaggie123
AG
COVID increased diabetes by having millions of kids living in fear stricken households and watching tv for 2 straight years vs getting out and playing with friends....
Dad
AG
nm
KidDoc
AG
planoaggie123 said:

COVID increased diabetes by having millions of kids living in fear stricken households and watching tv for 2 straight years vs getting out and playing with friends....
That is not what causes Type 1 DM. You are 100% correct though that pediatric obesity did increase dramatically and that can cause Type 2 DM.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
planoaggie123
AG
Correct. I should have clarified Type 2 vs Type 1.

To be fair...getting kids healthy takes work. They typically do not want to eat healthy foods and a lot of parents are busy and its easy to say "go watch tv" and make something quick/easy which is usually frozen or breaded. We rarely do "resolutions" in our household but wife and I are going to be more intentional this year with our kids. Neither are overweight but we want to teach them better habits and ensure that "treats" are just that and not a daily part of their diet....
Teslag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I think it's also an issue with sicker kids get tested more. Sicker kids are generally fat and unhealthy and more prone to childhood diabetes. So naturally it will seem like covid is causing diabetes when in reality you just have covid and diabetes crossing the same demographic.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Fear-mongering distortion, and if you want to restore some credibility and get people to stop eating stuff like "horse paste", using bad data and conclusions to pimp fear has to stop.
cisgenderedAggie
Increasingly frustrated that I've developed an almost standoffishly skeptical disposition toward anything I read in MMWR.
SamHou
KidDoc said:

Any virus increases the risk of Type 1 DM. It is an autoimmune disease so anything that stimulates your immune system can cause it.

Thanks for the reply. Are these odds ratios in line with other viral infections?
KidDoc
AG
Yup. It doesn't seem to be much higher but Omicron will be the real test because they are all gonna get that eventually.
KidDoc
AG
B-1 83 said:

Sounds like fat people, who are more likely to be heavily impacted by COVID, are now going to a doctor and finally being diagnosed with something they had pre-COVID.
Again, Type 1 DM has nothing to do with diet or obesity.
Rubble
AG
I'm not reading this. As kiddoc said, ANY virus can trigger T1D in children. There is a huge difference in T1 and T2.

My 9 year old was diagnosed with T1 in September. He got Covid a month ago. It was like a mild flu to him.

COVID does not affect people with T1D any differently than any other virus does.
Infection_Ag11
AG
We've long known the certain childhood viral infections increase the risk of type 1 diabetes, so this isn't particularly surprising.
Windy City Ag
AG
My 15 year old T1D son just got over COVID and his case was fairly asymptomatic. We did have a stretch of much tougher glucose control and had to increase his insulin intake by a decent amount for about 3 days to keep him under 200.

Interestingly, he told me the last night that he felt better and the glucose immediately fell back to the same steady patterns. We had him tested the next day and he was negative.

We were pretty worried about COVID and are thankful it was such a mild case.
Keller6Ag91
AG
Windy City Ag said:

My 15 year old T1D son just got over COVID and his case was fairly asymptomatic. We did have a stretch of much tougher glucose control and had to increase his insulin intake by a decent amount for about 3 days to keep him under 200.

Interestingly, he told me the last night that he felt better and the glucose immediately fell back to the same steady patterns. We had him tested the next day and he was negative.

We were pretty worried about COVID and are thankful it was such a mild case.
In General, this Omicron variant appears to be less viralent in general. I know dozens who had COVID (most unvaccinated) for the first time over the last 2 weeks (from 20-57 years old)....2-4 day cold.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Windy City Ag
AG
This was certainly our experience. We all had scratchy throats and congestion right before Christmas. We had gone to a family Christmas thing a few days prior and one of the cousins called the next day to let us all know she tested positive.

By that point, all symptoms had already passed. My sons had a six hour stretch of feeling fatigued but then were bouncing off the walls. We decided to get tested anyway and everyone was positive.

Zero symptoms thereafter at that point. The biggest challenge was getting the negative test result so I could go back to work.

Windy City Ag
AG
Interestingly, the JDRF (main research and advocacy group for T1D) is saying there is no clear linkeage.

https://www.jdrf.org/coronavirus/#2

Quote:

• JDRF has also been monitoring the number of new T1D diagnoses seen during the COVID-19 pandemic and praises the groups who have established registries to quantify this situation in the US, UK, the EU, and elsewhere.
  • Right now, the data do not clearly indicate that the rates of T1D diagnoses are changing during COVID-19, but we are continuing to evaluate the situation as more data becomes available.
  • It is possible that COVID-19 could have a direct effect on the insulin-producing beta cells or could be a trigger for underlying autoimmunity leading to T1D-like disease. Right now, researchers are working hard to determine if either of these cases is true. Some scientists suggest that viral infections, in particular rotavirus and coxsackie infections, can trigger underlying autoimmunity leading to T1D. More research is needed to prove that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to be a true T1D trigger.

TarponChaser
planoaggie123 said:

The TC family got healthier over covid. Although, Mrs. TC did hurt her back working out and her doctor hasn't cleared her to return and it's been almost 4 months.

WFH means more time to exercise, get out and take the dog for a walk at lunch, and when the kids were doing remote learning lots of time outside for bike rides, playing basketball, playing wiffle-ball, and all manner of other sports. Plus more time to cook healthier meals.

A lot of this is why I'm not enthusiastic about my company's plans to have us return, even on a hybrid office/WFH plan. I'm happier, healthier, a better husband, a better father, and as about 50% of my income is commission/bonus and I eat what I kill I'm every bit as efficient and productive as at the office.
Old Buffalo
AG
I did a double take, because I could not for the life of me understand what a Tampon Chaser was....
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
planoaggie123
AG
Honestly that is awesome for you and glad you all have taken advantage of the opportunity; however, I think it is fair to say at least 50% of kids who were forced home live in families either with dual income or low-involvement parents which caused them to eat more snacks/fast food and exercise and get out less.

Not intended to be a blanket statement that everyone got fatter/lazier....just in general it seems to be pretty obvious more people went the "easier" way vs the "eat healthy and exercise more" way....
Rubble
AG
You may be correct, but that has ZERO bearing on whether or not a child develops T1D, which is what this original post was about.
planoaggie123
AG
Rubble said:

You may be correct, but that has ZERO bearing on whether or not a child develops T1D, which is what this original post was about.

I thought the article covered both types...my apologies...i understand T1 is not due to diet....T2 is what I am discussing....
Rubble
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Rubble said:

I thought the article covered both types...my apologies...i understand T1 is not due to diet....T2 is what I am discussing....
Until 4 months ago, like most people I also saw the word diabetes and only ever thought about T2 which is completely preventable and can actually be "cured" with a healthy lifestyle. This article is trying to point that kids who have gotten COVID have a better chance of getting T1D, but like WindyCity said, the JDRF has found no such thing as of yet and they lead the world in T1D research. There have not yet been any links from any coronavirus to T1D, but others have, like rotavirus and coxsackie infections. I feel like the CDC in this is just grasping at straws to link this to something else happening....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.