Dexamethasone shot helped my very very very sore throat...I'm vaxed and Cov+

3,428 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by heineman78
Human Being
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I were both vaccinated 4 months ago. Both Covid positive now. but yeah we for sure need to make those vaccines mandatory right?

Anyway. My sore throat hurt like HELL! My doctor gave me a dexemethesone shot. It really hurt my butt for a while, but my sore throat is much much better.

I was gargling every 3 hours, doing salt water nose drops, taking all sorts of stuff, but my throat was the biggest problem. I hope this helps someone.
OwlAg13
AG
I was in the same boat. Horrible sore throat on the back end of recovery.
I took a leftover prednisone I had and it helped tremendously.
amercer
AG
My mom said her throat was killing her too. Seems to be a major Omicron symptom.
AJ02
AG
That was the worst symptom for me when I had it....about 60 hours of horrible throat pain. Other than that, it was pretty tame. (Not vaccinated)
KidDoc
AG
I've had lots of dex shots over the decades to stop a case of laryngitis before I had to miss work. They don't hurt much at all, only 0.8 mL of fluid.

Glad it helped though!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bigtruckguy3500
KidDoc said:

I've had lots of dex shots over the decades to stop a case of laryngitis before I had to miss work. They don't hurt much at all, only 0.8 mL of fluid.

Glad it helped though!
Supposedly no difference between PO/IM/IV in efficacy. If you've got a thing with needles, just have the nurse squirt the syringe in your mouth.
KidDoc
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

KidDoc said:

Glad it helped though!
Supposedly no difference between PO/IM/IV in efficacy. If you've got a thing with needles, just have the nurse squirt the syringe in your mouth.
Exactly! I prefer the IM for me and most of my patients as the rate of vomiting and gastritis is fairly high with oral dosing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChevyAg
AG
Anything else I can try to minimize this sore throat? If it wasn't for the sore throat, I think I'd be close to 90%. I am on day 5 of symptoms and going on 2.5 days of this terrible sore throat. Advil, Tylenol, and gargling with salt water hasn't touched it.
AggieBiker
AG
Paint it with monkey blood like mom did.
AggieBiker
AG
Actually it was miserable. Waking up in the middle of the night was painful. l just used throat sprays and ice cream. Mine lasted about 2.5 days and then really subsided. Hang in there, you'll get past it.
Reveille
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

KidDoc said:

Glad it helped though!

This is absolutely correct! Back in my days that was a common pimp question to medical students as most would think the IV was better.
KidDoc
AG
ChevyAg said:

Anything else I can try to minimize this sore throat? If it wasn't for the sore throat, I think I'd be close to 90%. I am on day 5 of symptoms and going on 2.5 days of this terrible sore throat. Advil, Tylenol, and gargling with salt water hasn't touched it.
Can ask your doc for an RX of viscous lidocaine to swish and spit. We use it for ulcers due to chemo and such. Just don't swallow a bunch or it can trigger arrythmias.
bigtruckguy3500
Reveille said:

bigtruckguy3500 said:

KidDoc said:

Glad it helped though!

This is absolutely correct! Back in my days that was a common pimp question to medical students as most would think the IV was better.
Still is. Also, knowing the common side effect from pushing IV dex too soon is also a common pimp question.
SunrayAg
AG
So would a 6 day course of Methylprednisone pills help a relative who recently started feeling sick?

Healthy athletic 23 year old man. Moderna vaccines in late May 2021. No booster yet.

Woke up this morning with the chills, sore throat, cough, headache. This evening feels like he's burning up.

Lives in a very remote area not near a doctor or pharmacy.

My wife has a 6 day course of Methylprednisone that she was prescribed for back pain "if needed" prior to back surgery this fall, and she didn't need it.

So I was thinking of dropping it off in a bag on his door? Along with some vitamin D3, vitamin C, and tylenol?
Infection_Ag11
AG
Steroids will always make you feel better when in the throws of a hyper inflammatory state, infectious or otherwise. The problem is all the other stuff they can do to you.
Infection_Ag11
AG
ChevyAg said:

Magic mouthwash or viscous lidocaine if you can get them
heineman78
Human Being said:

My wife and I were both vaccinated 4 months ago. Both Covid positive now. but yeah we for sure need to make those vaccines mandatory right?

Anyway. My sore throat hurt like HELL! My doctor gave me a dexemethesone shot. It really hurt my butt for a while, but my sore throat is much much better.

I was gargling every 3 hours, doing salt water nose drops, taking all sorts of stuff, but my throat was the biggest problem. I hope this helps someone.

That's what she said.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.