Working with at home oxygen

1,491 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JB99
JB99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I went to the ER last night because my o2 stats had dropped below 90, I had shortness of breath, and chest pain. The put me through the mattery of tests including cat scan to rule out clots. All clear, still have viral pneumonia, although not a bad case of it.. they put me on oxygen, 3L at hospital and sent me home with the at home oxygen kit. Now they never measured my oxygen while I was sleeping and breathing slows down. When I got home and got everything setup I was worried what would happen once I started falling asleep. It's obviously a different device than what they use at the hospital as well. My Stats started dropping so I raised it to 4L and holding steady.

The other question I have is around the extensions. When you extend the oxygen line does that make it less effective?
I'm a little worried about that.

Also, just getting around the house, is it ok to to get off oxygen for a few minutes if I need to say go to the bathroom or get a shower, etc???

jlAG97
I was sent home with oxygen after a stout case of viral pneumonia causing shortness of breath. In hospital 5 days with IV steroid and oxygen weaned down from 6 to 4. However after a couple of days at home I was able to get off the oxygen as I could maintain 93 with sitting, standing and brief walks. If it dropped I could breathe it back up to 93 within a minute or less. Yes you can take shower without it and move around the house with the extended cannula. I kept it on me at night the first two nights but got rid of it after that once I went to bed early one night and watched the pulse ox stay above 93. Overall Definitely use it at first but also start to test yourself a little more each day to see how your lungs are healing so you can get off of it as soon as possible.
curry97
AG
JB99 said:

So I went to the ER last night because my o2 stats had dropped below 90, I had shortness of breath, and chest pain. The put me through the mattery of tests including cat scan to rule out clots. All clear, still have viral pneumonia, although not a bad case of it.. they put me on oxygen, 3L at hospital and sent me home with the at home oxygen kit. Now they never measured my oxygen while I was sleeping and breathing slows down. When I got home and got everything setup I was worried what would happen once I started falling asleep. It's obviously a different device than what they use at the hospital as well. My Stats started dropping so I raised it to 4L and holding steady.

The other question I have is around the extensions. When you extend the oxygen line does that make it less effective?
I'm a little worried about that.

Also, just getting around the house, is it ok to to get off oxygen for a few minutes if I need to say go to the bathroom or get a shower, etc???

First, there is nothing wrong with moving it to 4L if that is what it takes to bring your o2 level up. In regards to the length of the extension, most manufacturers recommend lengths up to 50 feet.

What is your oxygen level if you take it off for a short period of time without doing anything?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Have a back up plan for oxygen in case you lose power. There are portable sized tanks if you are traveling in a car for a doctor visit.
JB99
AG
I've lowered it down to 2L now. If I'm sitting I can take my oxygen off and can hold my O2 levels at around 93-94. If I get up and walk around they drop in the 80s, so I have to get back on the O2 to catch my breath. Also, a big change is I can now take a deep breath without it hurting. I can also hold me breath too which I couldn't do. I think the pneumonia effects are finally wearing off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.