*** 2nd Dose Information Thread ***

1,946 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TPS Reports
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I see a lot of questions asked about the second doses on other threads and the questions normally get buried / not answered / unknown. Since so few have even had first shot, this makes sense.

But we do have a growing population who have had the first shot, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread.

Some common questions that I would appreciate answers to (if anyone knows):

• Are 2nd doses being "held back" - in other words, are they being stored somewhere for those who have had the first shot?
  • If they are NOT being held back, is there any kind of plan in place to provide 2nd doses on the appropriate date at the appropriate location?
  • Do you have to return to the same location? I suspect the answer is "it's easier if you do", but do you have to?
  • At my first date, I was given a date for my 2nd shot and told "come back plus or minus 4 days of that date". My parents were told "you must come back on that date". Which, if either, was right?
  • If my 2nd dose date comes and goes and vaccine is not available, do I need to go thorough both shots again a some future date?

Feel free to answer or post your own questions here.
TYRY43
I was told I definitely have to return to the same place where I received the first dose. A new vaccine hub is about to go online for our area and they said folks who have gotten their first dose elsewhere have to return to that location and will not be allowed to get their second dose at the hub. I don't have an appointment for the second dose. I was told to call 3 or 4 days prior to the due date.
Gizzards
AG
Logistic are up to the place giving you the vaccine (appointments, come back during a window). Early on there was a question about the need to hold back vaccine for the second injection, and the state (TX) told our hospital to not hold back as more vaccine would continue to be provided. Now whether a facility abides by this is up to them and no one else is likely to know what they are doing. Ultimately it is up to the person receiving the vaccine to follow through on getting the second shot, so just follow the rules of the place you get the first one. Bottom line, there is no uniform set of rules for how each facility will administer and schedule patients.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Tarrant county/ Arlington fire made a date for the second shot on my card, but verbally said I would get a t ext, phone call, or email with time to come before I was to come it. Now they are saying they are out of vaccine, but that people who got first shots there need to come back there for the second shot.
wbt5845
AG
I guess of all my questions - the one regarding what to do if 2nd shot is not available is the more pertinent.

I too received mine in Arlington - and with them now being out, I wonder what they plan on doing for 2nd shots AND what am I supposed to do if they don't have it.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Arlington gave me a date but said it might be a day or two later at the time. But at the time I think they believed they would have a steady supply. I guess I will wait to see if I get that message to come in.
cc_ag92
AG
This is definitely my concern. We received our vaccines at a small medical clinic, not a big hub. If they didn't reserve doses because they thought they would receive more, this could be a mess for us.
wbt5845
AG
So what I am thinking will happen - come around Feb. 1, the availability of FIRST shots is going to decrease at a lot of sites as 2nd doses ought to get priority.

I also went to the Arlington eSports stadium and I'm hoping there's an express lane for us to get that 2nd shot - just show the card, get the shot and leave. Or even drive through.
wbt5845
AG
UPDATE: On their Facebook page, Arlington FD posted this:

Quote:

This morning we received a total of 8,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine. 5,000 are allocated as 1st doses, and the other 3,000 are allocated as 2nd doses. We will be administering 1st doses Thursday and Friday at the Esports Stadium Arlington & Expo Center from 9AM-4PM. Once again, these are by appointment only. If you receive notification from Tarrant County Public Health regarding a scheduled appointment at our Arlington Site, please arrive within your scheduled window of time.

On Monday, we will administer 2nd doses at the Esports Stadium Arlington & Expo Center from 9AM-4PM. We will be administering these 2nd doses exclusively to citizens and first responders who

1.) Received their 1st dose at the City's site between Dec. 29 and Dec. 31 and
2.) Have been scheduled to arrive on Monday to receive a 2nd dose.

Notifications for those who are to receive a second dose on Monday will be sent out via email and/or text message. For those receiving their 2nd dose from us, please bring your vaccine card. It is also imperative that you arrive within your scheduled time frame.

For more information, please visit https://arlingtontx.gov/news/my_arlington_t_x/news_stories/coronavirus_vaccines_update_jan_20

They were immediately slammed with requests from people to get 2nd shots who'd gotten first shots elsewhere because "my original site isn't getting more". Arlington FD replies "no we only do #2 for people who got #1 here."

All the more reason to go to a hub.
buffalo chip
S
My lay understanding (being a first vaccine shot person) is that the second shot absolutely should not be given prior to 3 weeks (Pfizer) or 4 weeks (Moderna) after the first shot is administered, BUT receiving the second shot after the 3rd or 4th week is not critical to its efficacy. How long after, then, is the question. I have not read anything definitive on that, although moving to a one shot strategy has been discussed to get more vaccine out to the population with limited supply.
Drip99
AG
buffalo chip said:

My lay understanding (being a first vaccine shot person) is that the second shot absolutely should not be given prior to 3 weeks (Pfizer) or 4 weeks (Moderna) after the first shot is administered, BUT receiving the second shot after the 3rd or 4th week is not critical to its efficacy. How long after, then, is the question. I have not read anything definitive on that, although moving to a one shot strategy has been discussed to get more vaccine out to the population with limited supply.

This is what the CDC says regarding pfizer:

Administration of 2nd dose within 4-day grace period (e.g., day 17-21) considered valid

Is there any documentation on efficacy when getting the shot on day 17 vs. 21? Does "valid" mean the protection will be the same?
buffalo chip
S
JesusQuintana said:

buffalo chip said:

Administration of 2nd dose within 4-day grace period (e.g., day 17-21) considered valid

Is there any documentation on efficacy when getting the shot on day 17 vs. 21? Does "valid" mean the protection will be the same?
Thanks. That suggests that a few days early second shot is okay (within the grace period) for Pfizer. Still no real guidance for how long after 3 weeks (Pfizer) is still okay. The latter is what this thread seems to be concerned about, given the scarcity of supply and the different protocols for second shot appointments.
Drip99
AG
buffalo chip said:

JesusQuintana said:

buffalo chip said:

Thanks. That suggests that a few days early second shot is okay (within the grace period) for Pfizer. Still no real guidance for how long after 3 weeks (Pfizer) is still okay. The latter is what this thread seems to be concerned about, given the scarcity of supply and the different protocols for second shot appointments.
I am scheduled to get my 2nd shot at 18 days. I was going to try and push it back but I am not sure I want mess with the schedule and risk not getting it.
The Shank Ag
Got Moderna yesterday through Tarrant County. Was told I would be contacted for my 2nd dose, and if I wasn't to call.

They would have to be saving 2nd doses wouldn't they? If they miscount, all this is for naught for hundreds of thousands that have already received it in Tarrant?
wbt5845
AG
No, they are not saving 2nd doses. That was why I started this thread.
cone
AG
I think it's up to the provider if the 2nd dose is being saved.

I would raise complete hell if I wasn't getting a 2nd dose in a timely fashion.
TPS Reports
AG
This article from DMN suggests Tarrant is allocating portions of shipments to second doses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.