just curious...how long after traveling or attending a large event until...

2,155 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
you can assume you didn't catch COVID at that time?

For example, last week was my first business travel since march. I spent Mon-Sun traveling to TX from GA. I have no symptoms and not concerned, just curious more than anything. I know the incubation period is longer than most other viruses but is a week long enough to assume no infection or is it longer?
ORAggieFan
The second I walk off the plane.....
Fitch
AG
3 to 5 days is the typical presentation for symptoms. While they say symptoms can present up to 14 out, the prevalence curve drops off pretty rapidly after 5 days.
c-jags
i've kept a pretty low profile for about 3 days after any of my travelings which really didn't start until July. i don't make a big deal of it, but I just don't go into many other crowded buildings afterwards and wear my mask regularly.

i'm going to El Paso this weekend which is having a pretty big outbreak right now, but I'm going to keep to myself in my hotel outside of my business dealings.
Proposition Joe
3-5 days depending on how large an event it was. And really that's 3-5 days of just keeping a somewhat low profile -- ie. don't follow a 10+ person get-together with another one a few days later if it can be avoided.
jopatura
AG
If you're concerned about passing it to other people, 3-5 days. If there is someone you are actively avoiding meeting with because you traveled, I've heard 5 days + testing is pretty accurate If you can't wait 14 days. Don't get rapid tested the minute you land somewhere because that is useless.

Also be honest with yourself. If you travel and wake up feeling crummy in a few days, start isolating until you know what's going on. You're most contagious right as you're becoming symptomatic.
Capitol Ag
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Honestly, this. If you don't feel sick, don't quarantine. It's not reasonable. But, if it makes you feel better, I understand and do it. But in the end, it hard to live one's life....

Personally I will stay away from my elderly parents for about a week or two.
bay fan
S
That's a thoughtful question.
bigtruckguy3500
Capitol Ag said:

ORAggieFan said:

Honestly, this. If you don't feel sick, don't quarantine. It's not reasonable. But, if it makes you feel better, I understand and do it. But in the end, it hard to live one's life....

I think it really depends on where you go and what you do. If you're going into any area with a high COVID prevalence and are hanging around a lot of people without masks, I think it's more reasonable to quarantine, or at least limit your exposure to others, for a 5-7 days after your last high risk exposure.

If you're going to some place with a low prevalence and you, and everyone you were around, wore masks, it's more reasonable to just go back to your normal routine.

I know all the cool kids are doing whatever they want, without masks, and generally not caring if they spread it to others, but I still am being pretty cautious.
Capitol Ag
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Capitol Ag said:

ORAggieFan said:

I think it really depends on where you go and what you do. If you're going into any area with a high COVID prevalence and are hanging around a lot of people without masks, I think it's more reasonable to quarantine, or at least limit your exposure to others, for a 5-7 days after your last high risk exposure.

If you're going to some place with a low prevalence and you, and everyone you were around, wore masks, it's more reasonable to just go back to your normal routine.

I know all the cool kids are doing whatever they want, without masks, and generally not caring if they spread it to others, but I still am being pretty cautious.
For me its about not having the ability to really do that with work, young kiddos and other commitments. But if one has the ability to quarantine, it won't hurt, no doubt. I think, in the end, it's a question of what one values. The ones you describe as the "cool kids" have a legitimate reasons for not wanting to follow every protocol out there. Obviously the major debate is what obligations people have or should have when it comes to personal behavior. And it's one that depends on what people value. Some just value being able to socialize more than the potential to limit spread (considering there is no guarantee that socializing in a particular case will become a spreading event). And, after speaking with people from other states this weekend, here in TX we have it pretty good overall. A lot of states still are pretty much shut down like TX was in April. Which is crazy to me and something that I think many in TX do not realize. And I mean shut down or extremely limited in what they can do to go out. Gyms closed still, restaurants closed or capacity severely limited and retail limited or closed. Here, I haven't really been inside since April and have not limited my get togethers, shopping, eating out or working out since April. The mask is the only thing really mandated and the limited capacity at sporting events.

My point is just be careful to respect the "cool kids" decisions to do what they feel is comfortable and appropriate to do just as they should respect your decision to be follow more protocols.
PJYoung
AG
Capitol Ag said:

ORAggieFan said:

Quote:

When is a person with COVID-19 most contagious?

We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms. (As of Oct 16, 2020)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus#:~:text=We%20know%20that%20a%20person,start%20to%20experience%20symptoms.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

Capitol Ag said:

ORAggieFan said:

Quote:

We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms. (As of Oct 16, 2020)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus#:~:text=We%20know%20that%20a%20person,start%20to%20experience%20symptoms.

The part that is crazy about his virus is that only less than 20% of the infected are really contagious.
eric76
AG
PJYoung said:

PJYoung said:

Capitol Ag said:

ORAggieFan said:

Quote:

The part that is crazy about his virus is that only less than 20% of the infected are really contagious.
20% are responsible for most infections, but is that because they are more contagious or because they are less careful about spreading it to others?
PJYoung
AG
eric76 said:

PJYoung said:

PJYoung said:

Capitol Ag said:

ORAggieFan said:

Quote:

20% are responsible for most infections, but is that because they are more contagious or because they are less careful about spreading it to others?
I am pretty sure the thinking is that some people are just more contagious.
eric76
AG
PJYoung said:

eric76 said:

PJYoung said:

PJYoung said:

Capitol Ag said:

ORAggieFan said:

Quote:

I am pretty sure the thinking is that some people are just more contagious.
It appears to be a number of factors.

From https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971211000245

Stein RA, Super-spreaders in infectious diseases, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, Volume 15, Issue 8, August 2011, Pages e510-e513

Quote:

Early studies that explored hostpathogen interactions assumed that infected individuals within a population have equal chances of transmitting the infection to others. Subsequently, in what became known as the 20/80 rule, a small percentage of individuals within any population was observed to control most transmission events. This empirical rule was shown to govern inter-individual transmission dynamics for many pathogens in several species, and individuals who infect disproportionately more secondary contacts, as compared to most others, became known as super-spreaders. Studies conducted in the wake of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) pandemic revealed that, in the absence of super-spreading events, most individuals infect few, if any, secondary contacts. The analysis of SARS transmission, and reports from other outbreaks, unveil a complex scenario in which super-spreading events are shaped by multiple factors, including co-infection with another pathogen, immune suppression, changes in airflow dynamics, delayed hospital admission, misdiagnosis, and inter-hospital transfers. Predicting and identifying super-spreaders open significant medical and public health challenges, and represent important facets of infectious disease management and pandemic preparedness plans.
PJYoung
AG
I was talking Covid-19 in particular but yeah, I mis-remembered this article as a study that was much more detailed.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-pandemics-archive-d28390683347580d33c56fbce16d6358

Quote:

Scientists studying three months of contact tracing data from Hong Kong estimated that 19% of people infected were responsible for 80% of the spread of coronavirus infections.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.