22 year old daughter in CO just diagnosed

3,877 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by encinoag
water turkey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Noticed symptoms on Saturday, tested Monday, confirmed today (Tuesday). No fever. Congested, headache, fatigue. No taste.

Didn't get much instructions from the doctor as what she should do. As a young, healthy person, what is her best course of action besides lots of rest and fluids?

Thank you.
murphyag
AG
The poster Reveille (an MD) has a page stickied at the top. Read through his posts as he often lists the vitamins and supplements he recommends. You might also post your question on his page and hopefully he will see it. Covid Update Aggie Physician is the title of his thread. Look at top of page in Covid forum.
water turkey
Thanks!
dermdoc
AG
murphyag said:

The poster Reveille (an MD) has a page stickied at the top. Read through his posts as he often lists the vitamins and supplements he recommends. You might also post your question on his page and hopefully he will see it. Covid Update Aggie Physician is the title of his thread. Look at top of page in Covid forum.

Agree.

Reveille is a gem.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cc_ag92
AG
Here's a cut and paste from his most recent Facebook update. You may want to spend time reading the thread because there's lots of information there, but you may also want a quick suggestion:

Quercetin from 250mg up to 1g twice per day Remember this is a Zinc ionophore.
Vitamin D3 Take this for sure if you are deficient and I now recommend taking it either daily or weekly as long as your values are not too high. Remember too much vitamin D can cause issues. However, if you are diagnosed with Covid-19 take 50,000IU immediately as this appears to have significant benefits.
Sleep greater than 8 hours per night
CoQ10 100-300mg per day: a potent antioxidant that potentially helps balance oxidative stress, increase vasodilation, prevent clot formation and decrease vasoconstriction.
Zinc any amount is probably good but take what you can tolerate without making you feel bad up to 40mg. You do not want to be Zinc deficient as it is how many drugs like HCQ work.
Melatonin 0.1mg to 10mg at night. Take what you can tolerate and what helps you sleep without making you feel drugged or tired in the morning. If you are diabetic watch your sugars.
N-acetylcysteine (NAC) - 600mg twice per day shown to decrease severity of influenza, improve lung functions in COPD, antioxidant properties, potentially helps prevent clotting and with mental disorders. Caution for asthmatics as there is potential for bronchospasm but this is rare.
Vitamin C 250mg to 500mg twice per day. Effects debatable in oral form but IV did help in China. But is proven to strengthen immune system
Green Tea either drink some or 1 pill per day alternate zinc ionophore if you don't have or don't take Quercetin
Famotidine 10-20mg twice per day potentially inhibits viral replication and helps with heartburn
Baby Aspirin 81mg aspirin to thin blood and help prevent clots but only after discussing with your physician to make sure you have no contraindications to its use.
As always the information and understanding of COVID-19 is changing rapidly. This information is for education purposes only and you should never make changes to your health without consulting your personal physician. Make a virtual appointment with your physician and discuss your health and the best possible treatment plan for you. It is also important to reiterate that there are no clinically evidence-based integrative prevention or treatment strategies for COVID-19 infection.
Tabasco
AG
What is the date on that update?
DCAggie13y
AG
You might also consider adding pepcid ac to that mix. Only side effect is it also relieves heartburn!

Edit: just noticed famotodine is already on the list.
Harkrider 93
AG
Thanks for doing this when you see the opportunity to help.
Jack Boyett
AG
My kids have had it. It's no different from the flu. If you do nothing, they will be sick for 2 days max.
aggiebrad94
AG
Tabasco said:

What is the date on that update?
Last night
Tabasco
AG
Jack Boyett said:

My kids have had it. It's no different from the flu. If you do nothing, they will be sick for 2 days max.
VaultingChemist on here (another thread yesterday or the day before) said he had a fever for 12 days straight.
cc_ag92
AG
I just go to his last Facebook page and cut and paste from there so that I have his most recent recommendations.
Infection_Ag11
AG
water turkey said:

Noticed symptoms on Saturday, tested Monday, confirmed today (Tuesday). No fever. Congested, headache, fatigue. No taste.

Didn't get much instructions from the doctor as what she should do. As a young, healthy person, what is her best course of action besides lots of rest and fluids?

Thank you.

If she's truly a normal, healthy 22 year old as you say she will likely be fine within a week or so. She should stay away from high risk individuals for 10 days from the date of symptom onset, those she's around now or immediately prior to symptoms should be aware in case they start feeling ill but other than that just do what you'd do for the flu. Rest, fluids, OTC symptom meds, etc. There is around 5-20% chance she could have lingering "post COVID" symptoms for 2-4 weeks but even those who get this usually are back to normal within a month.

In the unlikely event she develops significant shortness or breath, that would be the point at which I'd take her to the ER. But like I said, at her age and health status that is highly unlikely.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Petrino1
Infection_Ag11 said:

water turkey said:

Thank you.

If she's truly a normal, healthy 22 year old as you say she will likely be fine within a week or so. She should stay away from high risk individuals for 10 days from the date of symptom onset, those she's around now or immediately prior to symptoms should be aware in case they start feeling ill but other than that just do what you'd do for the flu. Rest, fluids, OTC symptom meds, etc. There is around 5-20% chance she could have lingering "post COVID" symptoms for 2-4 weeks but even those who get this usually are back to normal within a month.

In the unlikely event she develops significant shortness or breath, that would be the point at which I'd take her to the ER. But like I said, at her age and health status that is highly unlikely.

Infection ag I've had post covid symptoms for about 4 months and a half now. Every other week the Covid symptoms return. Is this normal? I've tried Zithromax, steroid pak, the vitamin cocktail (zinc, vitamin d and c) but nothing seems to work. Anything else I should be trying? For reference, I'm a healthy male in my mid 30's.
Jack Klompus
AG
Tested positive on Saturday. Had a fever of 102 on Saturday, fever broke Saturday night. Fever free ever since. Some stuffy nose, chest congestion, and lingering cough. O2 sat levels have been 97-99.

However, now I feel like my breathing is labored and my pulse is elevated (90-100). My O2 saturation levels have been hovering around 94-96 last night and this morning. Set up an appt. with my GP, but anything else I could be doing?
cc_ag92
AG
Did you see your GP today?

Have you started the vitamin regimen recommended by Reveille?
Jack Klompus
AG
I am doing Zinc, Vitamin C and Vitamin D. I don't have the others. I also take 2 squirts of Flonase and a Zyrtec every morning.

Dr. didn't seem worried, but was cautiously optimistic. She prescribed Albuterol inhaler to me, which will be delivered today. She said mainly rest, fluids is what I need. She said the nature of the virus is that you can be feeling good one day, and then not so good the next. I feel better today than I have since this all started. Also monitoring pulse and oxygen saturation levels is good, but do not be afraid to go to ER if you aren't feeling right or if pulse/%O2 is not in range.
encinoag
AG
My 27 yo daughter, a paramedic in Houston, contracted the virus last month. Other then OTC supplements, she took no prescribed therapeutics. Just rested and stayed hydrated. Back at work about a week later. Other then loss of taste and smell her symptoms were like normal allergies. Hope your daughter recovers quickly
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.