Yougang Yu's summary of his model's findings

5,599 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cc_ag92
HotardAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a very good write up, where he goes through how he develops the estimates for real infections, deaths, etc. with the available data. He's had the highest quality model in this whole thing, so it is very interesting to read through his approach.
https://covid19-projections.com/estimating-true-infections/

Some sections that people will find interesting here.

Quote:

Lower IIFR Over Time
The IIFR in the US decreased from over 1% in March to 0.25% in July. Below, we present a few explanations to why the IIFR in the US has decreased significantly since March/April.
  • Lower median age of infection (see section above)
  • Better protection of vulnerable populations (nearly half of COVID-19 deaths in March/April were in care homes)
  • Improved treatment (new drugs, better allocation of resources, more experience among staff, etc)
  • Earlier detection
The above are explanations that would explain a true decrease in IFR. We believe the lower median age of infection and better protection of high-risk populations are the primary drivers behind the decrease in IIFR. Below are some reasons that could skew the IIFR lower, but not change the true IFR:
  • More comprehensive reporting of confirmed cases
  • Changes in the distribution of age groups tested (e.g. more younger people getting tested would skew IIFR down)
  • Inflation of the test positivity rate (e.g. double-counting positives, not reporting negatives, etc)
  • Longer lag in death reporting
  • Underreporting of deaths

Quote:

Herd Immunity Threshold
Looking at the data, we see that transmissions in many severely-impacted states began to slow down in July, despite no clear policy interventions. This is especially notable in states like Arizona, Florida, and Texas. While we believe that changes in human behavior and changes in policy (such as mask mandates and closing of bars/nightclubs) certainly contributed to the decrease in transmission, it seems unlikely that these were the primary drivers behind the decrease. We believe that many regions obtained a certain degree of herd immunity after reaching 10-30% prevalence.
A widely-accepted method to calculate the herd immunity threshold (HIT) is to use the basic reproduction number, R0:
HIT = 1 - 1/R0
. Back in March/April, we estimate R0 in the US to be around 2.3. This corresponds to a HIT of
1-1/2.3 = ~0.6
, or 60%. But the effective reproduction number, Rt, has decreased dramatically since then due to a variety of reasons such as greater population awareness, mask-wearing, reduced larger gatherings, and implementation of social distancing guidelines. The Rt in most regions around the US where there are outbreaks is now between 1.1-1.6. This corresponds to an effective HIT of 10-35%. As a result, it makes intuitive sense that we are seeing a decline in transmission after those regions reach a 10-35% prevalence.
One thing to note is that original definition of the herd immunity threshold is derived from the basic reproduction number, R0, and assumes no intervention/social distancing. Hence, by definition, the HIT of the SARS-CoV-2 virus remains unchanged over time, between 50-80%. But the effective HIT does change over time as the effective reproduction number, Rt, decreases due to society adjusting to the virus. That's why we are seeing an effective HIT of 10-35%.
Also note that reaching the herd immunity threshold does not stop transmission - it simply slows down further transmission.
RandyAg98
AG
Interesting! Thanks for posting.
Complete Idiot
I think many may gloss over this key fact:

Also note that reaching the herd immunity threshold does not stop transmission - it simply slows down further transmission.

Sometimes it seems people use "herd immunity" to indicate "the point at which it will stop spreading". I could be misinterpreting, but that's the tone I think I hear.

When the new case curve drops off one thing seems guaranteed - any threat to overwhelm a healthcare system is gone. While still spreading, it is slow and the system can easily handle it.
Duncan Idaho
Also

Quote:

But the effective reproduction number, Rt, has decreased dramatically since then due to a variety of reasons such as greater population awareness, mask-wearing, reduced larger gatherings, and implementation of social distancing guidelines.

So to have a HIT of 10-30%, you have to maintain all of these things like mask wearing, social distancing, reduced social gathers, etc.

Ever step you take to open it up, pushes the HIT higher and higher until you get back to 60%

HotardAg07
AG
I think he also has it right on the herd immunity. The herd immunity assuming no intervention of any kind is ~60%. However, the implied herd immunity WITH interventions is going to be lower. That's probably why people are seeing the 10-20% "burnout". However, it's the interventions that are lowering the R_t from 2.3 to something closer to 1, even if they aren't mandated by governments -- working from home, not shaking hands, social distancing, no large events, larger awareness, testing, etc. If you were to remove those interventions, then the implied herd immunity threshhold would go up again.

I was hopeful that there was some cross immunity or other thing making a large percentage of the population not susceptible. However, as some epidemiologists have pointed out:
  • If half the population is not susceptible, then the R_0 is actually twice as high
  • If R_0 is twice as high, then the herd immunity threshhold amongst the susceptible population is higher
  • So, in the case with 50% not susceptible, the herd immunity required would actually be 40%, not 30%

His explanation also better explains areas around the country that have blasted through the 10-20% "burnout", such as Northern Italy. It makes sense that an area that had it's breakout with much higher R_t due to lower awareness and mitigations would have gotten to higher population prevalence -- 57% in Bergamo, Italy for instance.

Complete Idiot
Agreed. For me personally, I first noted NYC cases and deaths dropping off to very low numbers and then that antibody study came out that said 20-25% of NYC may have antibodies. It was an observation (very few new cases and 20-25% have some immunity), wasn't sure why, but did note something similar in some other regions - small countries or states. But I wasn't sure if it was due to changing behaviors (distancing, masks, fear) or due to some immunities we didn't yet understand - certainly hoped for the latter. And when some studies have later come out indicating people may be able to fight this off due to their previous exposures to coronaviruses, or for other reasons, my hopes went up. But I still come back to the fact that many behaviors have changed and I can't buy the "viruses gonna virus" statement, which I actually find quite dumb (shingles, HIV, ebola, rabies , the common cold are all viruses and they all don't act the same). The most likely explanation for dropping cases would be a combination of factors, I think - yes, some have had the virus and now are not susceptible, yes some people are able to fight it off with no effect, some have it with no symptoms and don't get caught as a confirmed case, and also many people - certainly not all, I know - have changed their behaviors.

Whatever the case may be, dropping to 1% positivity rates, like in NYC, should allow things to reopen, and schools to teach kids in person.
terradactylexpress
Imo there where clear policy changes in July in Texas, we implemented mask ordinances, closed bars etc
Keegan99
AG
No, that's not the case.

Sweden does not employ masks and has bars and restaurants open and their HIT was in the ~20% range.

The 60% calculation assumes a homogeneous social graph and a truly naive population, neither of which is true.
Duncan Idaho
Take it up with the author of the article.

Quote:

Changes in human behavior and policy interventions such as mask mandates also contribute to a slowing of the spread. If current interventions and social distancing are relaxed, the effective herd immunity threshold would go back up.

Keegan99
AG

Quote:

I think he also has it right on the herd immunity. The herd immunity assuming no intervention of any kind is ~60%.

I don't think that's correct at all.

Again, the simplistic 60% calculation assumes homogeneity and no pre-existing immunity.

Do you think the social graph is homogeneous?

Do you think there is no pre-existing immunity?
Complete Idiot
Keegan99 said:

No, that's not the case.

Sweden does not employ masks and has bars and restaurants open and their HIT was in the ~20% range.

The 60% calculation assumes a homogeneous social graph and a truly naive population, neither of which is true.
Are you saying there is no mask wearing in Sweden or just that the government doesn't dictate you must wear one?

They did also make changes to bars and restaurants, but did also keep them open. Only table service, no bar or counter service, and table distancing. Some restaurants chose to close, on their own, at least temporarily due lack of customers. Far fewer governmental restrictions, no doubt, but nothing is really binary - we weren't totally locked down everywhere, Sweden did not have zero changes in behaviors.
Keegan99
AG
Sweden has no mask mandate and while some citizens do wear them, they are not common.

None of the Nordics are big on masks.

cone
AG
Quote:

While still spreading, it is slow and the system can easily handle it.
that will be true even after vaccine development and roll out

you will get covid, in all likelihood, during your lifetime

it's endemic and it's not going away
cone
AG
Quote:

If current interventions and social distancing are relaxed, the effective herd immunity threshold would go back up.
and what's the ceiling?
Complete Idiot
Correct. Just more **** to deal with.
Keller6Ag91
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Also

Quote:

But the effective reproduction number, Rt, has decreased dramatically since then due to a variety of reasons such as greater population awareness, mask-wearing, reduced larger gatherings, and implementation of social distancing guidelines.

So to have a HIT of 10-30%, you have to maintain all of these things like mask wearing, social distancing, reduced social gathers, etc.

Ever step you take to open it up, pushes the HIT higher and higher until you get back to 60%

Excellent. Self-quarantine the vunerable and open it up. We are so freaking stupid not doing this yet.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Aggie95
AG
cone said:

Quote:

While still spreading, it is slow and the system can easily handle it.
that will be true even after vaccine development and roll out

you will get covid, in all likelihood, during your lifetime

it's endemic and it's not going away
which begs the question, when do we go back to school, sports, etc.? I know it has some nuance, but at some point people will have to understand that having a couple hundred cases at a time in TX is okay.
HotardAg07
AG
Keegan99 said:

Quote:

I think he also has it right on the herd immunity. The herd immunity assuming no intervention of any kind is ~60%.

I don't think that's correct at all.

Again, the simplistic 60% calculation assumes homogeneity and no pre-existing immunity.

Do you think the social graph is homogeneous?

Do you think there is no pre-existing immunity?

As I explained earlier, if we assume pre-existing immunity, the herd immunity % for the susceptible population goes up, because the implied R_t would go up -- the virus would be more considered more virulent if it spread this fast and half the people couldn't get it. So therefore, to conclude that there is a 10-20% burnout on the basis of pre-existing immunity alone, you need something like 75%-90% of people to not be susceptible, which honestly we know is not true.

When I look at edge cases like Italy, India, etc. that report areas with 60% prevalence, it tells me that it's more likely than not there is not widespread immunity that does not allow you get the virus. Maybe the cross-reactive T-cells are not preventing people from getting it, but rather explaining the heterogeneity in the symptoms.

I think it is fairly observable that human behavior has changed in places. You are overly obsessed with Sweden, candidly and I think it would do you some good to diversify your material from Leavitt, Berenson, and el gato loco or whatever his name is. Even in Sweden they are aware of the virus, they are testing for the virus, they are not having large gatherings, etc. all of which reduce the R_t below the R_0 of ~2.3, which means the implied herd immunity threshhold with that level of R-t is going to be much lower -- something like 10-20%.

New York got to 20-25% prevalence with a concurrent lockdown of the later phase of the outbreak which demonstrably reduced the rate of transmission -- estimates are that they reduced it down to about 0.6. It makes sense that NY is currently enjoying herd immunity with the current mitigation steps. It also may be possible that they could relax a lot of mitigation and still sustain R_t<1.

I just think that model not only fits better to explain all of the available data, it also aligns with what actual epidemiologists have been saying. Leavitt is a smart man and I respect his intelligence, but I also respect the intelligence of these epidemiologists who have been trying to explain to us how this virus works. I think what Leavitt is observing in "burnout" is not necessarily wrong, it's just an incomplete explanation of the dynamics of the virus.

BowSowy
AG
HotardAg07 said:

I was hopeful that there was some cross immunity or other thing making a large percentage of the population not susceptible. However, as some epidemiologists have pointed out:
  • If half the population is not susceptible, then the R_0 is actually twice as high
  • If R_0 is twice as high, then the herd immunity threshhold amongst the susceptible population is higher
  • So, in the case with 50% not susceptible, the herd immunity required would actually be 40%, not 30%

Doesn't the concept of herd immunity innately include those who are not susceptible? Someone who can't/won't naturally catch the virus acts the same as someone who has caught it and is now immune, no?
94chem
Keller6Ag91 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Also

Quote:

Excellent. Self-quarantine the vunerable and open it up. We are so freaking stupid not doing this yet.
~16 posts to get to this point? Seems like you may be reaching burn-out. Kinda slow on the trigger there.

beerad12man
AG
Seems to be some good news lately

1) if people have some kind of immunity already, this doesn't seem to suggest that re-infection might occur ever 3 months with the lack of antibodies like some feared . Not to mention we don't hear about many reoccurring cases in people. Particularly severe.

2) Texas ifr is likely on the low end because we both kept it out of nursing homes, and started our spike after learning more about treatment. If that's the case, this means we are already at 11% of the population having had it.

It's okay to have Covid in our state. It's likely not going away, maybe ever. With now having better treatment and understanding, this should be treated no different than the flu for the vast majority of the population. As we build more and more immunity, more things should be opened up and relaxed. Well, I think they already should be, but I digress at this point. Yes. Even mask rules need to be relaxed soon as we move forward
plain_o_llama
There are plenty of examples of respiratory viruses displaying a seasonality that is not well understood. I think it is possible some type of seasonal signal is part of what we are seeing. It is possible that two or three years from now the virus will be endemic and the seasonal signal will be predominant. In the near term more of what we see is related to the relative novelty of the virus in the population.

And if you want to make things more confusing, separate transmission from susceptibility. The seasonal aspects of one or the other may be more a factor already.

And I may be way off base. YMMV
HotardAg07
AG
I have tried to do a lot of reading on the epidemiologists who are predicting the 10-20% herd immunity for a naturally selective virus versus a vaccine scenario which may have the more typical HIT formula resulting in 60%, so I can be better educated.

The paper is below:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.23.20160762v1.full.pdf

I have tried to read a lot of the author's defense and discussion around the topic:
https://twitter.com/mgmgomes1

This is the best thread I found dissecting it from an epidemiologist (from a critical standpoint):

And here is the best response I found to those arguments:

I am convinced that the HIT is probably lower than the traditional model, since it makes sense that the traditional model would apply well to randomly selected vaccines, whereas a naturally selected disease propogation would have a different behavior, infecting more susceptible people first and breaking down social chains.

A lot of this comes down to the homogeneity or lack there of of the social mixing in the population. What Wes argues is that some edge cases of high seroprevalence could be explained by a combination of naturally higher R_0 in densely populated areas and also overshoot (HIT does not imply that infections magically stop and the level of infection when HIT is reached implies how many future people will be infected.

What I think ties back to my original understnading is that we have certain social networks/mixing right now in our current semi-quarantined status. For example, in Houston I am not going to work, but I still occasionally see my family or neighbors. We try to be more mindful of distance around each other and hugging/shaking hands. We are not making as many shopping trips or exposing ourselves indoors, and when we do we wear masks. Other people are doing it differently, some only leave home to go grocery shopping once a week and some people are out and about seeing people every day and regularly mixing. So today, we have a certain level of social network/mixing and heterogeneity that has developed as a result of the virus. I do believe that it's possible under these circumstances, there could be a much lower HIT.

In some imaginary world, where we told everyone to go back to normal and forget the virus, those social networks and heterogeneity would change. I would be exposed to my coworkers every day and since I'm in sales going to customer meetings and such I would be a far more effective vector for transmission. You would probably consider me one of the more susceptible people. So, heterogeneity would increase and the HIT would increase and the level of infection would go up.

You're probably seeing this right now in Spain where they probably hit the HIT at their current level of infections (~10% of the total population), but then once they re-opened and encouraged tourism to return, they increased the number of social interactions and homogeneity and the infections returned:

I am not advocating for a shutdown or anything and I want schools opened, I think it just remains important to be vigilant on avoiding the virus in the easy to control ways -- wear a mask, wash hands, keep distance where possible, etc.

This week I found out my cousin, who for her own reasons (which I understand) is a bit of a COVID denialist and has been one of the more cavalier people I know with regards to the virus. Last week, she lost her sense of taste and smell along with some conjestion. Her son (4) was experiencing the same. Despite that, she assumed that she just had a cold and 2 days after her first symptoms she went to go visit my mom and dad while still symptomatic and got my parents to babysit her son while she went to go workout in a gym. My dad has T2 diabeties with 4 stents in his heart. Not just that, but 2 days after that, my mom was supposed to go visit her mom who is in her 80s and has a littany of comorbities. Once my mom feared that she might have caught the virus from my cousin and her son, thankfully she cancelled their visit. My mom started getting symptoms yesterday. To me, this personal situation perfectly encapsulates the issue that I want to express -- people just need to be careful. My cousin is a young healthy person who will not have any severe consequences from the virus and neither will her son. But, the least she could do is not visit my parents when she's sick, especially with tell-tale symptoms of loss of smell and taste, not to mention her visit to the gym. I'm hopeful that everything will be fine, but it just highlights that at a baseline we should all take the virus seriously and do the simple/easy things to protect others. I'm not asking people to lock themselves away forever, just be careful and thoughtful.

agforlife97
AG
So if the IFR is really 0.25%, then based on the number of deaths in Texas, that implies that Texas has had over 3 million real infections, which is right around 10% of the population. You have to imagine that the percentage of people that have had it is actually a lot higher in the major metro areas and lower in rural areas. So we may be close the the HIT in many places. If this is true, then what will happen in the next couple of months is that you'll see a decline in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, but maybe some mini outbreaks in smaller cities.
HotardAg07
AG
He estimates 17% of Texas has been infected:
https://covid19-projections.com/us-tx

SkiMo
AG
HotardAg07 said:

I have tried to do a lot of reading on the epidemiologists who are predicting the 10-20% herd immunity for a naturally selective virus versus a vaccine scenario which may have the more typical HIT formula resulting in 60%, so I can be better educated.

The paper is below:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.23.20160762v1.full.pdf

I have tried to read a lot of the author's defense and discussion around the topic:
https://twitter.com/mgmgomes1

This is the best thread I found dissecting it from an epidemiologist (from a critical standpoint):

And here is the best response I found to those arguments:

I am convinced that the HIT is probably lower than the traditional model, since it makes sense that the traditional model would apply well to randomly selected vaccines, whereas a naturally selected disease propogation would have a different behavior, infecting more susceptible people first and breaking down social chains.

A lot of this comes down to the homogeneity or lack there of of the social mixing in the population. What Wes argues is that some edge cases of high seroprevalence could be explained by a combination of naturally higher R_0 in densely populated areas and also overshoot (HIT does not imply that infections magically stop and the level of infection when HIT is reached implies how many future people will be infected.

What I think ties back to my original understnading is that we have certain social networks/mixing right now in our current semi-quarantined status. For example, in Houston I am not going to work, but I still occasionally see my family or neighbors. We try to be more mindful of distance around each other and hugging/shaking hands. We are not making as many shopping trips or exposing ourselves indoors, and when we do we wear masks. Other people are doing it differently, some only leave home to go grocery shopping once a week and some people are out and about seeing people every day and regularly mixing. So today, we have a certain level of social network/mixing and heterogeneity that has developed as a result of the virus. I do believe that it's possible under these circumstances, there could be a much lower HIT.

In some imaginary world, where we told everyone to go back to normal and forget the virus, those social networks and heterogeneity would change. I would be exposed to my coworkers every day and since I'm in sales going to customer meetings and such I would be a far more effective vector for transmission. You would probably consider me one of the more susceptible people. So, heterogeneity would increase and the HIT would increase and the level of infection would go up.

You're probably seeing this right now in Spain where they probably hit the HIT at their current level of infections (~10% of the total population), but then once they re-opened and encouraged tourism to return, they increased the number of social interactions and homogeneity and the infections returned:

I am not advocating for a shutdown or anything and I want schools opened, I think it just remains important to be vigilant on avoiding the virus in the easy to control ways -- wear a mask, wash hands, keep distance where possible, etc.

This week I found out my cousin, who for her own reasons (which I understand) is a bit of a COVID denialist and has been one of the more cavalier people I know with regards to the virus. Last week, she lost her sense of taste and smell along with some conjestion. Her son (4) was experiencing the same. Despite that, she assumed that she just had a cold and 2 days after her first symptoms she went to go visit my mom and dad while still symptomatic and got my parents to babysit her son while she went to go workout in a gym. My dad has T2 diabeties with 4 stents in his heart. Not just that, but 2 days after that, my mom was supposed to go visit her mom who is in her 80s and has a littany of comorbities. Once my mom feared that she might have caught the virus from my cousin and her son, thankfully she cancelled their visit. My mom started getting symptoms yesterday. To me, this personal situation perfectly encapsulates the issue that I want to express -- people just need to be careful. My cousin is a young healthy person who will not have any severe consequences from the virus and neither will her son. But, the least she could do is not visit my parents when she's sick, especially with tell-tale symptoms of loss of smell and taste, not to mention her visit to the gym. I'm hopeful that everything will be fine, but it just highlights that at a baseline we should all take the virus seriously and do the simple/easy things to protect others. I'm not asking people to lock themselves away forever, just be careful and thoughtful.

I would have come the **** unglued on anyone who irresponsibly and selfishly exposed my family to this. How horrible. It takes very little educating of oneself to realize how stupid of a move that would be. Even if you're "regular sick" you don't go to people's houses until you're better. I don't understand why you understand her reasoning, personally.
HotardAg07
AG
She was separated from her husband who is working abroad in a military function. So she's been stuck in a hotel room for the last several months, away from her husband, her home, etc. with a young 4 year old with no end in sight. I can understand her anger and frustration with the response to COVID due to how it affected her personally and I can understand her desire to get out of her hotel room and do things with other people.

I cannot understand her decision to visit people and workout while symptomatic, especially with symptoms as tell-tale as losing your sense of smell and taste. Even if you suspected it may be a cold, you should be cautious. I am extremely upset with her actions, but she is also family and I love her all the same.
SkiMo
AG
HotardAg07 said:

She was separated from her husband who is working abroad in a military function. So she's been stuck in a hotel room for the last several months, away from her husband, her home, etc. with a young 4 year old with no end in sight. I can understand her anger and frustration with the response to COVID due to how it affected her personally and I can understand her desire to get out of her hotel room and do things with other people.

I cannot understand her decision to visit people and workout while symptomatic, especially with symptoms as tell-tale as losing your sense of smell and taste. Even if you suspected it may be a cold, you should be cautious. I am extremely upset with her actions, but she is also family and I love her all the same.
Yeah. I can understand that. My sister is a bit of a denialist as well. And she's been visiting my parents and vice versa. But never sick. Family is complicated, but man I would have been soooo pissed about the visiting while sick part.
HotardAg07
AG
Trevor Bedford made a couple really enlightening threads on the topic of herd immunity's relationship with R_t recently that are illuminating. It is being shared widely in the epidemiologist community:

Transcribed:
Quote:

I wanted to discuss the degree to which population immunity may be contributing to curbing #COVID19 in Florida, Arizona and Texas, where recent surges have resulted in substantial epidemics.

After increasing dramatically in June and July, daily case counts in Florida, Arizona and Texas have begun to subside. Data from
@COVID19Tracking

This corresponds to a peak Rt of between 1.2 and 1.4 in late-May / early-June and steady reductions since this point. Declining case counts correspond to Rt < 1. Rt estimates from https://rt.live.

The recent uptick in Rt in Texas comes from increasing test positivity and the algorithm used by https://rt.live to convert test positivity to infections. I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I wouldn't ascribe too much weight to this particular estimate.

I (and others) have argued that the main thing curbing these epidemics have been societal responses, but I believe there is also a role for population immunity in controlling these epidemics.

If we take the simplest model of population immunity, we expect Rt will equal R0 fraction of the population susceptible. This is where the usual "herd immunity threshold" comes in. If we assume R0 of 2.5 then we need 60% of the population immune to bring R0 down to 1.

However, societal behavior has dramatically reduced Rt through social distancing, mask wearing, etc... The surge in Florida had Rt of only ~1.4 at its peak. Because of this reduction in transmission through social means, we don't need as much immunity to impact spread.

Here, we expect Rt will equal R0 fraction of the population susceptible relative social connectivity. If R0 is 2.5 and social connectivity is 56% of normal then realized Rt will be 1.4. In this case, the herd immune threshold would be 29%.

We can plot out the general relationship between Rt (as red vs blue) vs population immunity (on the x-axis) vs social connectivity (on the y-axis). With R0 of 2.5, to keep Rt<1, we need either lots of immunity, very strong social distancing or something in between for each.

At this point, we think that a substantial fraction of the population of Florida has had COVID-19. If we use a 8:1 ratio of confirmed cases to underlying infections, we'd estimate 510k x 8 = ~4M infections in Florida or roughly 20% of the population

Similarly, https://covid19-projections.com/us-fl currently estimates 21% of Florida has had COVID-19 at this point.

Assuming a large majority of infections leave enough immunity to be protected (which I believe to be the case, though correlates of protection are still being worked out), population immunity of 20% will have real impact if societal behavior has already reduced Rt to ~1.2.

I've been thinking of this as: to get to R0 of 1.0 with no immunity we need avoid 60% of transmission events. However, if 20% of the population is immune, then we need to avoid 50% of transmission events.

Or, with 20% population immunity, we can behave as though Rt is 1.25 and still get an epidemic that no longer propagates.

Thus, I believe the substantial epidemics in Arizona, Florida and Texas will leave enough immunity to assist in keeping COVID-19 controlled. However, this level of immunity is not compatible with a full return to societal behavior as existed before the pandemic.

That said, the costs for this immunity have been substantial and are continuing to accrue. We need a vaccine to achieve population immunity in a fashion that doesn't kill people.

Follow up #1: My use of 20% total infected in Florida is not the point I was trying to make. I think it could easily be 10% of Florida infected at present. The point being even 10% population immunity starts to make a difference when behavioral Rt is ~1.2.
HotardAg07
AG

Transcribed:
Quote:

A follow up to yesterday's controversial thread on societal behavior, population immunity and Rt to specifically address issue of what fraction of the population in Florida, Texas and Arizona may have had COVID-19.

Multiple people expressed skepticism that 20% seroprevalence in Florida is reasonable. Others thought that 20% was patently impossible due to implied crude infection fatality ratio (IFR).

This thread walks through a ballpark version of implied IFR that takes into account reporting delays in Florida, Texas and Arizona in their recent epidemic surge. Data and figures that follow from
@COVID19Tracking

If we look at Florida, we see cases start to increase ~June 6 and deaths start to increase ~July 3 (27 day lag). This fits expectation from disease progression alongside delays associated with reporting deaths.

We see a similar pattern in Texas, with cases starting to increase ~June 10 and deaths starting to increase ~July 6 (26 day lag).

Arizona also appears similar with cases starting to rise ~May 27 and deaths starting to rise ~June 23 (27 days). Additionally, cases appear to peak ~July 6, while deaths appear to peak 17 days later on ~July 23.

We can estimate the reporting lag between cases and deaths more rigorously by computing the lagged correlation between timeseries of daily cases and timeseries of daily deaths.

Across these three states, this lagged correlation is maximized at a 20 day reporting lag between cases and deaths. This 20 day reporting lag fits expectations from other sources (https://cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/).

We can ballpark a lag-adjusted IFR by comparing total deaths reported today to estimated infections 20 days ago, ie July 19.

Here, I assume a range of underreporting of catching between 1 infection in 4 as a case to 1 infection in 8. With 1 in 4, total infections are 4X total cases. With 1 in 8, total infections are 8X total cases.

For Florida, we have 8108 deaths reported as of Aug 8 and 350k cases reported as of July 19. This implies between 1.4M infections and 2.8M infections on July 19. This equates to a lag-adjusted IFR of between 0.3% and 0.6%.

For Texas, we have 8866 deaths reported as of Aug 8 and 325k cases reported as of July 19. This implies between 1.3M infections and 2.6M infections on July 19. This equates to a lag-adjusted IFR of between 0.3% and 0.7%.

For Arizona, we have 4140 deaths reported as of Aug 8 and 144k cases reported as of July 19. This implies between 576k infections and 1.15M infections on July 19. This equates to a lag-adjusted IFR of between 0.4% and 0.7%.

IFR of course depends on specific population infected, and I could believe there could be a slight improvement from early epidemic IFR of between 0.5% and 1% due to shift of disease burden towards younger individuals.

But overall, I take this as congruent with recent seroprevalance estimates suggesting a 5-6X ratio of cases to infections and IFR of still ~0.5% at this point.

My best guess for fraction of Florida infected is about 12%, ie 525k cases 5X ratio / 21.48M, though I could believe between 8% and 16% as reasonable. Lower than the 20% I threw out yesterday, but still high enough to impact epidemic spread if behavioral Rt is ~1.2.
DadHammer
AG
Covid will be mostly gone in Texas by end of August. Maybe not the cities that border Mexico but the rest , yes.
yobyob
nope
yobyob
total lunacy
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Also

Quote:

Posts like this remind me of how my neighbor has reacted to Covid. I've lost a lot of respect for my neighbor.

Go hide in your hole. Let the rest of us live our lives.
FrioAg 00
AG
.25% and dropping, comparable to .1% for the common flu

I. Can't. Even.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.