Another new promising treatment for severe covid patients

3,750 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jagvocate
agywife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/08/05/houston-methodist-reports-rapid-recovery-of-covid-19-patients-with-new-drug/

https://www.neurorxpharma.com/our-services/rlf-100/

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/first-covid-therapeutic-block-replication-sars-cov-2-human-lung-cells-and-monocytes

Charpie
AG
That's awesome.
John J 01
AG
Anecdotal or not, the recovery of the lung transplant patient is impressive! Looking forward to the studies on this one but sounds very promising.
ranchag04
AG
Does anyone else believe that this pandemic will lead to breakthroughs in the medical field outside of COVID-19? I believe we may find new cures and therapeutics on a variety of illnesses.
PJYoung
AG
ranchag04 said:

Does anyone else believe that this pandemic will lead to breakthroughs in the medical field outside of COVID-19? I believe we may find new cures and therapeutics on a variety of illnesses.

Absolutely. With the billions poured into the vaccine research alone, they have talked about this as the 1960s Moon shot which led to all kinds of advances in science that led to many improvements in everyday life. I would not be surprised to see some innovative cancer treatments come out of this.
DTP02
AG
Promising. Any idea on the cost of this drug and scalability of production?
Duncan Idaho
ranchag04 said:

There is a reason we went to the moon. And it wasn't for cool pictures.
amercer
AG
I think the biggest science gains out of this will be validation of these new vaccine approaches. Vaccines are a hard business in regular times, so new approaches aren't worth trying. Hopefully what comes out of this are technologies that make the timelines for the next pandemic vaccine months instead of years.
BiochemAg97
AG
PJYoung said:

ranchag04 said:

Absolutely. With the billions poured into the vaccine research alone, they have talked about this as the 1960s Moon shot which led to all kinds of advances in science that led to many improvements in everyday life. I would not be surprised to see some innovative cancer treatments come out of this.
At the very least, if the mRNA vaccines are proven safe and effectiveL it provides another vaccine platform that is much faster to produce than other types of vaccines. Plus, you can design vaccine candidates for the next one once you have a genome sequence for the virus.
2PacShakur
AG
ranchag04 said:

Thank cancer research, a lot trickles down from cancer research including the vaccine efforts and has expanded our knowledge regarding immunology (immunotherapies).
BiochemAg97
AG
amercer said:

I think the biggest science gains out of this will be validation of these new vaccine approaches. Vaccines are a hard business in regular times, so new approaches aren't worth trying. Hopefully what comes out of this are technologies that make the timelines for the next pandemic vaccine months instead of years.
Here is a link to the timeline for Moderna's mRNA vaccine. They went from China releasing the sequence to having the vaccine designed in days and had clinical manufacturing of the first batch for clinical trials done within 25 days.

https://www.modernatx.com/modernas-work-potential-vaccine-against-covid-19
amercer
AG
Now they just need to get it approved.

Novavax is in the same boat. The technology has always been there, but no one is really going to believe until you get something on the market.
Ag Natural
AG
amercer said:

I'm also expecting some realization that the "normal" process for pharma development has some unnecessarily long roadblocks that are almost entirely procedural. If we get a viable vaccine done in less than a year after all experts claimed that it takes 3-5 years typically... that tells you a lot.
2PacShakur
AG
Ag Natural said:

amercer said:

I'm also expecting some realization that the "normal" process for pharma development has some unnecessarily long roadblocks that are almost entirely procedural. If we get a viable vaccine done in less than a year after all experts claimed that it takes 3-5 years typically... that tells you a lot.
Not really, re: procedural roadblocks. The tech to recognize good candidate sequences that could trigger an immune response is a ton better. Cancer neoepitope vaccine research has accelerated the time to find a vaccine.
BiochemAg97
AG
Ag Natural said:

amercer said:

A good part of the acceleration was preparing for the next trial during the previous one. Trails get progressively bigger and more expensive as you go, and in normal times it may not be worth the risk to go through the expense of planning and setting up a phase 2 before you have the data from phase 1. Or scaling manufacturing before you start phase 3. There is a lot of (government) money being spent to speed this up that companies wouldn't normally put at risk so early.
TefIon Don
AG
While they are doing this, I hope they stumble upon an influenza vaccine
wangus12
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

ranchag04 said:

Its because we needed to dickslap those commie *******s
94chem
amercer said:

Now they just need to get it approved.

Novavax is in the same boat. The technology has always been there, but no one is really going to believe until you get Americans sick on US soil.

fify.

Ebola on line 2.
Boat Shoes
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

ranchag04 said:

Velcro?
Boat Shoes
AG
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fda-grants-inhaled-ind-rlf-050000708.html
jagvocate
AG
John J 01 said:

Anecdotal or not, the recovery of the lung transplant patient is impressive! Looking forward to the studies on this one but sounds very promising.
Every scientific study is chock full of anecdotes.
jagvocate
AG
John J 01 said:

Every scientific study is chock full of anecdotes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.