Disparity of Symptoms?

3,316 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by beagle2009
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've only know one person personally who tested positive for COVID-19. She is a healthy 30 year-old woman who just felt tired and whose temperature never hit 100. It was over in 5 days. I've heard of many similar cases. On the other hand, others are being hospitalized and dying.

Why does it seem like there are two types of cases? Is the virus "weakening"? Are there two strains? Is there something about the individual who make him more or less susceptible?

Sorry if this has already been talked about...
Infection_Ag11
AG
There aren't two types of cases but rather a virtually endless array of case presentations. Most viral respiratory illnesses have a wide range of disease severity. The primary issue with COVID is not that there aren't a bunch of mild cases (there are) but that more patients are progressing to severe disease compared to other viral respiratory infections.

For example, some people do progress to severe viral pneumonia and ARDS with the common cold (rhinovirus, HMV, Cocksakivirus, etc.). It's not common but it does happen, generally in the severely immunocompromised and those with transplanted or very diseased lungs. A greater number of people progress to this stage with influenza, and a greater number than that from COVID, etc. At the top of the chain you have stuff like MERS with a 50-70% progression to ARDS and a 35% mortality. All of these disease also cause very mild cases as well however and everything in between.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3119257/replies/56780754

This is my prior post on study re this. Lung structural protein loci and ABO loci differences. Sure more to it. And obviously comorbidties, and inoculum load.
Vito55
I'm 46 and generally healthy. Work out a couple days a week, but could stand to drop a bit of weight. I'm on day 7 of Covid. Did nose swab Saturday and tested positive.

Week ago today I started getting back pains and then ran a fever. Symptoms progressively got worse over next 4 days; fever, chills, headache, fatigue, body aches and 2 days ago I lost taste and smell.

Fever broke 2 days ago and that was huge. Basically like a very bad flu with lingering symptoms. Think every case is different, but if you are genuinely healthy think you will be just fine.

Thoughts with all impacted. This virus is no joke.
AggieUSMC
AG
COVID really is no different in severity than the seasonal flu.......for most of us. But the combination of it being highly contagious (I really think it will be found as being as contagious as the measles when this is all said and done) and it being absolutely deadly for the remaining 1-2% of the rest makes it a huge problem for us.
bigtruckguy3500
It's interesting. I've seen a few folks in the past few days that had fever, fatigue, body aches, semi-low O2, but they tested negative. Some colleagues have seen folks with their "allergies acting up," but no other symptoms, and they tested positive.

This is a very strange virus. What we were originally told is the "typical" presentation, isn't so typical anymore. And that makes it so difficult to pin down and stop the spread without rapid and reliable testing - just about anything can be COVID, and everything can also not be COVID. And just because your headache and sore throat isn't COVID today, doesn't mean it won't be COVID next week.
beagle2009
AG
Glad to hear you're on the uptick. Hope you get back to 100% ASAP!

Curious if you're still dealing with the loss of taste and smell. I've been dealing with what feels like a sinus infection for about a week and got tested for COVID-19 on Monday. I've had no other symptoms (no fever, no shortness of breath, etc.). I still have not received my test results.

On Saturday, my congestion reached its peak and I lost all sense of taste and smell. I'm crossing my fingers it's just sinusitis/sinus infection, but bracing for a positive result.

I've been reading about the long term effects of COVID and am seeing this can be a permanent symptom. Trying my best to not get too worked up...
Vito55
Well now I'm worried!!!!!

No just kidding. Sounds like your situation is more sinus related. I basically woke up two days ago with my Covid symptoms, made some egg beaters and toast and when I starting eating my eggs I was completely void of taste and then noticed no smell. Came on out of the blue. I still have no taste or smell and my aches and fatigue are getting a little better by the day, but still exist.

I'll check back when they return. Given the newness of this virus it is impossible to know the longterm impact.
Vito55
Also from what I e read fever is associated with >85% of the cases. So not ever having a fever is a good sign.
Rock Too
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

There aren't two types of cases but rather a virtually endless array of case presentations. Most viral respiratory illnesses have a wide range of disease severity. The primary issue with COVID is not that there aren't a bunch of mild cases (there are) but that more patients are progressing to severe disease compared to other viral respiratory infections.

For example, some people do progress to severe viral pneumonia and ARDS with the common cold (rhinovirus, HMV, Cocksakivirus, etc.). It's not common but it does happen, generally in the severely immunocompromised and those with transplanted or very diseased lungs. A greater number of people progress to this stage with influenza, and a greater number than that from COVID, etc. At the top of the chain you have stuff like MERS with a 50-70% progression to ARDS and a 35% mortality. All of these disease also cause very mild cases as well however and everything in between.
I've read that viral load also drives severity.....any truth to this?
Infection_Ag11
AG
Rock1983 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

That's generally true for viral respiratory illnesses, but the viral load is a product of the host moreso than the inoculum. The viral inoculum load can determine whether or not you get sick in the first place but patients with the highest detectable viral loads are generally those with weaker immune systems.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Knucklesammich
I believe this is the root of the fear, its not the massive number of folks that have little to now symptoms its the random fury of this thing when you do get more serious symptoms....from weeks to get lung capacity back to the obvious stuff the ER/ICU docs here post about.

It's like walking in a cage and taking a nap with a "tame" tiger. Sure its tame but its a tiger and how tame can it be.? More dangerous than a house cat (flu) less dangerous than a wild tiger with a bad attitude (say MERS).
lazuras_dc
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Rock1983 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

That's generally true for viral respiratory illnesses, but the viral load is a product of the host moreso than the inoculum. The viral inoculum load can determine whether or not you get sick in the first place but patients with the highest detectable viral loads are generally those with weaker immune systems.
That's interesting. I haven't heard this. Probably good news- at least for those that are healthy.
agforlife97
AG
AggieUSMC said:

COVID really is no different in severity than the seasonal flu.......for most of us. But the combination of it being highly contagious (I really think it will be found as being as contagious as the measles when this is all said and done) and it being absolutely deadly for the remaining 1-2% of the rest makes it a huge problem for us.
I had it recently and had mild symptoms for about 7 days. I stayed home, but the illness was not nearly as bad as the flu for me, though symptoms lasted a few days longer.
rynning
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Rock1983 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

If I don't have a weak immune system and was given a very low dose of the virus, would I likely experience a mild case and then be immune from having a severe case later? Is that's what's happening with all of the mild cases I keep hearing about? Seems almost as good as a "live virus" vaccine.
aginlakeway
AG
Vito55 said:

I'm 46 and generally healthy. Work out a couple days a week, but could stand to drop a bit of weight. I'm on day 7 of Covid. Did nose swab Saturday and tested positive.

Week ago today I started getting back pains and then ran a fever. Symptoms progressively got worse over next 4 days; fever, chills, headache, fatigue, body aches and 2 days ago I lost taste and smell.

Fever broke 2 days ago and that was huge. Basically like a very bad flu with lingering symptoms. Think every case is different, but if you are genuinely healthy think you will be just fine.

Thoughts with all impacted. This virus is no joke.

Glad you're doing better. Any idea how you got it?
lazuras_dc
AG
rynning said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Rock1983 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

If I don't have a weak immune system and was given a very low dose of the virus, would I likely experience a mild case and then be immune from having a severe case later? Is that's what's happening with all of the mild cases I keep hearing about? Seems almost as good as a "live virus" vaccine.
From what i've read/heard yes. Viral load inoculation can affect severity of disease. As stated above it will also depend on your immune response. For example a young healthy nurses getting a huge hit of viral load in the hospital vs. coming in contact with an infected individual outside briefly.
Vito55
Think I've narrowed it down to 2 friends that tested positive around my time of symptoms. But frankly I cannot trace it back exactly.

One went to a party at a ranch in central Texas and it was learned a wife had it and the other friend tested positive I was casually around the week prior.
beagle2009
AG
Update: positive test result came back today. I am on day 10 of symptoms and feel otherwise normal except for severe congestion and still no taste/smell.

We're pretty sure my wife has it too as she is experiencing a lot of the same symptoms I did (basically minor cold with bad congestion). She lost her taste and smell today.

We have a 3yo and 2yo who both seem to be completely fine. Gonna be a long ~2weeks...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.