My potential COVID experience - Just tested this am

7,165 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cone
Keller6Ag91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to my 18 year old nephew's grad party 2 Saturday's ago. Sunday he starts a mild fever and some minor aches and loss of taste. All better Monday before he takes the COVID test. Comes back positive. 18 year old in good physical health with severe asthma issues. Minor cold symptoms for ~24 hours.

FIL (73 years old, no spleen, overweight) starts feeling puny a few days later. Self-quarantines in his own house. Symptom were mild fever, achiness, and some loss of taste. Took the COVID test Monday this week, found out he's positive this am. Still has minor cold systems over a week in.

Monday I had severe coughing all day, work up yesterday with mild fever, minor aches, and some loss of taste. Took COVID test this am without leaving my car. Doc who administered the swab asked my symptoms. He said those are standard - gave 91 tests yesterday and over 1000 the last 2 weeks. Only 1 person went to the hospital. VAST majority are mild systems for a few days - even for the 70+ years olds.

Hopefully I'll get my results back by Friday - onward to herd immunity.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Athanasius
AG
Prayers for you and yours.
Keller6Ag91
AG
Athanasius said:

Prayers for you and yours.

Much appreciated. Wanted to share to educate.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
cone
AG
thanks for relating

was the severe coughing painful? did you feel short of breath?

can you sleep?

are you class of 91?
cone
AG
also were you taking any supplements in prep for a possible infection?
ToddyHill
AG
Hi Keller,

Hope everything works out well, regardless of your test results.

I tested positive on May 4. Thru those 14 days I had 3 days where I felt terrible, then 3 days when I felt great, then 4 days when I felt terrible, then finally, 4 days where I felt great. Got released by the Health Department, and was grateful for the 'immunity.' That said, my stamina was shot, and it took me 6 weeks to get back to what I consider normal. My taste/smell is still not where I think it should be, but that may be all in my head.

Hope your FIL does OK with this.
Rutedown
Wouldn't let your guard down as it looks like immunity is only lasting 2-3 months. Natural herd immunity may not be an option with a window so small https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6
Keller6Ag91
AG
cone said:

thanks for relating

was the severe coughing painful? did you feel short of breath?

can you sleep?

are you class of 91?
Coughing was deep and frequent. I've had some mild bouts with asthma in the past, but it's been more than a decade.

No shortness of breath. Sleeping has been ok, not great.

I am '91 - 50 years old.

Mild fever comes and goes - still feels like a mid cold for day 3 (counting Day 1 as the Coughing day).
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Keller6Ag91
AG
cone said:

also were you taking any supplements in prep for a possible infection?
Wife had me get a vitamin B12 shot on Day 2. Been taking vitamin supplements for the last several years - not every day, but 2-4 days a week (Vitamin D included).
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Keller6Ag91
AG
ToddyHill said:

Hi Keller,

Hope everything works out well, regardless of your test results.

I tested positive on May 4. Thru those 14 days I had 3 days where I felt terrible, then 3 days when I felt great, then 4 days when I felt terrible, then finally, 4 days where I felt great. Got released by the Health Department, and was grateful for the 'immunity.' That said, my stamina was shot, and it took me 6 weeks to get back to what I consider normal. My taste/smell is still not where I think it should be, but that may be all in my head.

Hope your FIL does OK with this.
Appreciate you sharing Toddy. In Day 3 without a determination on whether I'm positive or not (though based on symptoms I'd bet I am).

We'll continue to pray for our FIL - he's about a week in and not having anything beyond a mild to medium cold....thankfully.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
cone
AG
hang in there
Keller6Ag91
AG
cone said:

hang in there

Appreciate the sentiment. Day 4 of mild cold symptoms. Slept decent for first night. No fever.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
DadHammer
AG
Rutedown said:

Wouldn't let your guard down as it looks like immunity is only lasting 2-3 months. Natural herd immunity may not be an option with a window so small https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6

That can't be true because Spain, Italy, France, Sweden, and others are not demonstrating that at all.
DadHammer
AG
Check out Dr Coates recommendations for over the counter supplements. It may help you. Good luck.
cone
AG
lol does that mean we stay in hiding for the rest of time?

what exactly will a vaccine do in this case? vaccination is just artificial herd immunity
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

gave 91 tests yesterday and over 1000 the last 2 weeks. Only 1 person went to the hospital.

Great news.
eric76
AG
DadHammer said:

Rutedown said:

That can't be true because Spain, Italy, France, Sweden, and others are not demonstrating that at all.
Can you explain your thoughts? What evidence is there for a long lasting immunity from any coronavirus?
The TC Jester
The "come and go" nature of this virus is very bizarre. While I did have a mild dry cough for a few days and loss of sense of smell for 5-6 days...it was very mild for both me and my wife fortunately. However, we'd feel lethargic/sluggish/out of it for a day or two and then next day would be back at 100%, only to be followed up with a day or two of mild symptoms again. It just seems to come and go in waves. Very weird.

Best of luck Keller, hope it's very mild and manageable for you as well.
Keller6Ag91
AG
Day 4 for me (expecting test results Sat or Sunday). Fever gone. Still feeling a bit lethargic and trying not to exercise/exert myself. Minor cough continues.

My FIL went to UT Southwestern today when his fever rose to 103 and his oxygen levels dropped to 82%. He retested positive for COVID and they found Inflammation in his lungs-administering antibiotics for the next 1-2 days in the hospital. Everything trending positive.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Keller6Ag91
AG
The TC Jester said:

The "come and go" nature of this virus is very bizarre. While I did have a mild dry cough for a few days and loss of sense of smell for 5-6 days...it was very mild for both me and my wife fortunately. However, we'd feel lethargic/sluggish/out of it for a day or two and then next day would be back at 100%, only to be followed up with a day or two of mild symptoms again. It just seems to come and go in waves. Very weird.

Appreciated TC. Good to share our stories to educate and hopefully encourage.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
The TC Jester
And imo, while you don't want to over exert yourself, I do think moving around and doing light exercise (long dog walks / relaxing bike rides etc) helped us. Or even just getting outside in the sun. As opposed to just lying in bed or on the couch the whole time.
Keller6Ag91
AG
The TC Jester said:

And imo, while you don't want to over exert yourself, I do think moving around and doing light exercise (long dog walks / relaxing bike rides etc) helped us. Or even just getting outside in the sun. As opposed to just lying in bed or on the couch the whole time.
No doubt. I can't sit still for long anyway. Good encouragement.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
goodAg80
AG
I have been advised to take low dose aspirin since I have been exposed. It looks like small clots cause the most damage to the brain and organs.

I am not a Doctor.
ToddyHill
AG
Keller,

My goodness, prayers sent for your FIL.

The one thing Covid has taught me is that everyone is different, which is what is so weird about this virus!
Keller6Ag91
AG
ToddyHill said:

Keller,

My goodness, prayers sent for your FIL.

The one thing Covid has taught me is that everyone is different, which is what is so weird about this virus!

Appreciate the prayers, everyone. My FIL is struggling. Antibiotics haven't impacted his lung inflammation. Putting him on Remdesivir tomorrow.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Federale01
AG
Guy I work with got it back in late March. He is still out of the office dealing with the after effects. He says he has what feels like a relapse if he pushes himself to hard. Take it easy for a while.
Petrino1
The TC Jester said:

This has been my experience as well. I'd feel fine one day and then the next day have a slight fever or chills. It was all very minor though.

4 weeks later I still have a stuffy nose/congestion and get hot flashes, but not fever. It's hard to tell if it's due to the covid or just allergies from the Sahara dust.
Keller6Ag91
AG
The AMAZING update. Praise GOD for the outcome.

Put him on Remdesivir yesterday at 5pm.. He slept through the night, coughing disappeared, and he was up eating breakfast on his own this am. On the road to recovery!!!
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
JYDog90
AG
Hallelujah! Praise God for his mercy.

Thanks for sharing.
Formerly Willy Wonka
cone
AG
badass
goodAg80
AG
Very happy for you!!
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

Put him on Remdesivir yesterday at 5pm.. He slept through the night, coughing disappeared, and he was up eating breakfast on his own this am. On the road to recovery!!!
Really encouraging that he responded so quickly to the Remdesivir. My 83 year old father is in the midst of Covid and I have had mom keep close tabs on oxygen levels and other symptoms. I think we are in about week three of his bout and his shortness of breath has gone away and he got his appetite back a couple of days ago. His oxygen levels are at 93 which is on the edge of a concern but we are monitoring it closely.
The New Crew
AG
Keller6Ag91 said:

Fantastic news Keller. If you don't mind sharing, will you report back your medical costs once known?
Keller6Ag91
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Quote:

Really encouraging that he responded so quickly to the Remdesivir. My 83 year old father is in the midst of Covid and I have had mom keep close tabs on oxygen levels and other symptoms. I think we are in about week three of his bout and his shortness of breath has gone away and he got his appetite back a couple of days ago. His oxygen levels are at 93 which is on the edge of a concern but we are monitoring it closely.

When I heard they were recommending Remdesivir, what I read indicated the earlier the drug is provided, the better chance for recovery.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Keller6Ag91
AG
GIG5 said:

Keller6Ag91 said:

Fantastic news Keller. If you don't mind sharing, will you report back your medical costs once known?

Since their my in laws, I may not be privy to that info, but I'll let you know if Govt/Ins doesn't pick it all up.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.