Per Mt Sinai, major reduction in Covid mortality w/anti-coagulates

2,232 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cone
Diyala Nick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/early/2020/05/05/j.jacc.2020.05.001
RVAg02
AG
IHIOGA that a major hospital in Houston has seen the same thing. To the point that they think they've figured it out. But not really going public with it until they follow the proper protocols, etc. whatever that means. I'm not in the medical field.
PJYoung
AG
This is great news!
DadHammer
Rachel 98
AG
Very good news!

What does IHIOGA stand for?
PJYoung
AG
I have it on good authority
cone
AG
did I read the findings correctly?

there was no reduction at large between the AC group and the non AC group in terms of mortality

but there was a significant reduction in mortality between the AC group and the non AC group if it only considered those requiring ventilation
Not a Bot
AG
That's what it looks like. Haven't had time to read the discussion part of the text, but my guess would be those needing vents are progressing enough with endovascular inflammatory response to have much higher release of clotting factors. I believe Stanford docs tracked high levels of Factor VIII and VWf.
slacker00
AG
Similar findings in this report from German autopsies. They took a detailed look at 12 COVID cadavers.
Quote:

Conclusion:
The high incidence of thromboembolic events suggests an important role of COVID-19induced coagulopathy. Further studies are needed to investigate the molecular mechanism and overall clinical incidence of COVID-19related death, as well as possible therapeutic interventions to reduce it.
LINK
Rachel 98
AG
Thank you! I tried to figure it out but didn't come up with that LOL
cone
AG
Quote:

Among 2,773 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, 786 (28%) received systemic AC during their hospital course. The median (IQR) hospitalization duration was 5 days (3-8 days). Median (IQR) time from admission to AC initiation was 2 days (0-5 days). Median (IQR) duration of AC treatment was 3 days (2-7 days). In-hospital mortality for patients treated with AC was 22.5% with a median survival of 21 days, compared to 22.8% and median survival of 14 days in patients who did not receive AC (Figure 1A). Patients who received AC were more likely to require invasive mechanical ventilation (29.8% vs 8.1%, p<0.001). Overall, we observed significantly increased baseline prothrombin time, activated partial thromboplastin time, lactate 4 dehydrogenase, ferritin, C reactive protein, and D-dimer values among individuals who received in-hospital AC as compared to those who did not. These differences were not observed, however, among mechanically ventilated patients. In patients who required mechanical ventilation (N=395), in-hospital mortality was 29.1% with a median survival of 21 days for those treated with AC as compared to 62.7% with a median survival of 9 days in patients who did not receive AC (Figure 1B). In a multivariate proportional hazards model, longer duration of AC treatment was associated with a reduced risk of mortality (adjusted HR of 0.86 per day, 95% confidence interval 0.82-0.89, p<0.001).
so how this gets parsed out is that sicker patients (on average) received AC?

or does it require a specific trigger of symptoms to get someone placed on AC

im trying to make sense of how the overall mortality is the same, but the on vent mortality is so much different (if vents are the last resort of treatment)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.