Loss of Taste/Smell - No Other Symptoms

3,027 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TelcoAg
class12of
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html

" A mother who was infected with the coronavirus couldn't smell her baby's full diaper. Cooks who can usually name every spice in a restaurant dish can't smell curry or garlic, and food tastes bland. Others say they can't pick up the sweet scent of shampoo or the foul odor of kitty litter.

Anosmia, the loss of sense of smell, and ageusia, an accompanying diminished sense of taste, have emerged as peculiar telltale signs of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and possible markers of infection.

On Friday, British ear, nose and throat doctors, citing reports from colleagues around the world, called on adults who lose their senses of smell to isolate themselves for seven days, even if they have no other symptoms, to slow the disease's spread. The published data is limited, but doctors are concerned enough to raise warnings."
Shoefly!
AG
You've gone smell blind, Dewey.
Badace52
AG
Saw two patients today with low O2 sats and both of them complained of this and had persistent dry cough. Swabbed them both, we will see what happens in about a week when the testing comes back.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bondag
AG
***** I haven't been able to smell very good in about 20 years due to allergies. Guess I should go into quarantine.
Aust Ag
AG
A week?
TelcoAg
AG
So you're saying there's about to be a run on scented candles so folks can self-test
Kool
AG
Our Academy has been putting out info about this in the last few days. As the viral load is very heavy in the nasopharynx, that doesn't surprise me. Probably a viral neuropathy rather than due to congestion, as most people aren't having predominantly upper respiratory tract symptoms. I haven't seen any data on it, but I wonder if smokers will get viremic quicker and more intensely than nonsmokers. I've seen data on people with CV disease and HTN and RAD/COPD, but nothing parsing out smokers vs no smokers. Whenever I scope smokers, I can usually see tar stains and inflammation in the nasopharyngeal mucosa.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Cooks who can usually name every spice in a restaurant dish can't smell curry
One of the benefits of COVID19.
SidetrackAg
AG
TelcoAg said:

So you're saying there's about to be a run on scented candles so folks can self-test

Wait u til they start selling scented essential oils that cure it!
TelcoAg
AG
I'm medical-terminology challenged but when you say viral neuropathy I think loss of touch and feel, so is that being seen here or just the smell/taste senses?
Kool
AG
TelcoAg said:

I'm medical-terminology challenged but when you say viral neuropathy I think loss of touch and feel, so is that being seen here or just the smell/taste senses?

You usually have a rapid loss of sense of smell (and much of taste is just smell) because the air can't reach the top of your nose where the smell fibers are (trauma, allergies, polyps, infections), or a virus directly attacking the nerve fibers. In the latter case, it's extremely variable as to whether it returns or not. It's actually cell death from the virus. And sometimes, when it returns, the smell fibers reach out to the wrong fiber and you get distorted smell, almost always noxious. But we're getting off track here.

Neuropathy just means nerve damage. Whatever that nerve is responsible for determines symptoms. You can have sensory neuropathy, motor neuropathy, visual neuropathy, auditory neuropathy, olfactory neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, etc.
jopatura
AG
Didn't Baller say that was one of their symptoms?
Mordred
AG
jopatura said:

Yup, was first I heard of it, and then someone else confirmed the exact same symptoms (but couldn't get a test). Kinda wild to see it verified in the press two days later.
Badace52
AG
Aust Ag said:

A week?

Yes, it is taking a week or more for our swab results to be returned by LabCorp right now.
IDaggie06
AG
I haven't been following the testing issue very close.....Without getting political, why is it taking so long to get these tests and why such long turnaround time? They just don't exist or what? Are other countries such as Itlay and Spain having similar testing issues?
Badace52
AG
IDaggie06 said:

I haven't been following the testing issue very close.....Without getting political, why is it taking so long to get these tests and why such long turnaround time? They just don't exist or what? Are other countries such as Itlay and Spain having similar testing issues?
From what I understand it is lack of testing infrastructure, personnel, and materials at this point and we keep getting promised it will be better soon. So far improvement has been minimal and slow.
Shooz in Katy
AG
This is a chance for farts to have their only positive episode in history.
Baron von Bulsh
While waiting the week for the results to come back, how are you treating these patients?
Old Sarge
AG
Don't know if this would be a sign or symptom.

However, I know for a fact, that when my father was alive (passed in early 2014) knew he was getting sick with the flu or otherwise, when he put in a chaw of longleaf tobacco, and then would get a disappointed face and remove it, he'd say..."well, I better stop for a while, my tobacco tastes (either bad or no taste/insert here), I am fixing to get sick" Go straight to the kitchen and get water or some other fluid intake.

Since I did not start chewing till long after him, it finally happened to me which happened to be the last time I had the flu. Three years ago. I was having a beer at our Superbowl party and all was good. TV going on the patio, girls inside, guys out on the deck, and I lit a cigar. A good one. And it had almost no flavor or smell. Then the drink I had did not either. I remembered what he said years before. Told everyone on the deck to sit a ways from me, that I was not sure I was well.

Turned out I had the worst bought of flu I ever had from late that night for the next week. BAD. Real bad. Flu had never had me down for more that two days before that, and I lost an entire week of work that week, and was not 100 percent for a week or more.

Makes sense.
mazzag
AG
jopatura said:

TelcoAg
AG
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. Much appreciated
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.