Per capita death rates

7,306 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Whoop Delecto
VAXMaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Similar to the chart in the other thread I indexed each country to the day reported deaths exceeded 10 per 100 million population.

EDIT: Chart Updated 3/28/20
VAXMaster
AG
I'm generally suspicious of the China data but it is interesting how closely South Korea is tracking with China. Italy of course stands out but several others are on the same path. Singapore just today exceeded 10 per which is impressive to me given the population density.
Seven Costanza
AG
Good work. I would look at labeling the lines differently. It's very difficult to read with the similarity of the colors of the lines.
flakrat
McInnis
AG
The number of new deaths in the US peaked at 57 three days ago and then dropped to 49 then 46 yesterday. Just a blip or something meaningful? If the average time from infection to death is 15-20 days could we be starting to see the effects of people gaining awareness os social distancing?

Chart of new deaths by day
FrioAg 00
AG
It's rare that I will say positive things about communism and totalitarianism in general, but it shouldn't be surprising that governments adept at oppressing their people and freedom have more success doing so in there circumstances

Of course, what isn't shown is the tens of millions of deaths that same mentality has created in normal times
Exsurge Domine
Safe at Home said:

The number of new deaths in the US peaked at 57 three days ago and then dropped to 49 then 46 yesterday. Just a blip or something meaningful? If the average time from infection to death is 15-20 days could we be starting to see the effects of people gaining awareness os social distancing?

We are showing 86 today
VAXMaster
AG
Tried to make it easier to distinguish who's who.
VAXMaster
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

Safe at Home said:

We are showing 86 today
In this data set the last 7 days of US deaths are listed as
Exsurge Domine
Section327Ag said:

Exsurge Domine said:

Safe at Home said:

We are showing 86 today
In this data set the last 7 days of US deaths are listed as

Yeah I think we report ours daily, and then worldinfo backs out the ones that occur after midnight gmt, and puts them in the next day
FrioAg 00
AG
Safe at Home said:

Very meaningful, IMO.

You basically cannot use any data so far that relates to case count or ratios of anything to case counts, because the lack of testing completely invalidates those numbers. Now that testing is ramping up exponentially - confirmed cases are going to ramp up exponentially and it has no bearing on measuring the actual spread of the disease.

But given the general lack of effective treatments other than supportive care, I don't believe the true hospitalization rate or death rates have changed in the last month. Therefore, when death counts stabilize you can be confident the case counts have stabilized. I'm fact, given the incubation period and the period between exposure and hospitalization or death, you can actually be confident that the real case counts stabilized 4-14 days prior.

If we see deaths stabilize for another few days or a week, it's a GREAT sign of turning the tide
DCAggie13y
AG
Section327Ag said:

Similar to the chart in the other thread I indexed each country to the day reported deaths exceeded 10 per 100 million population.

This chart would be really interesting if it showed NYC and the rest of the US. I think it would show how dire things are in NYC.
Chetos
AG
Plot it against the common flu
Thomas Ford 91
AG
It took 4 days to get from 25 to 50, 4 days from 50 to 100, 2 days from 100 to 200, and 3 days from 200-400.
Bankeraggie
AG
Chetos said:

I honestly cannot believe any educated person is still saying this.
Chetos
AG
Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

I cant believe you are afraid to evaluate. everything needs to be weighed against a relative known. Especially unknowns. This is the only way to understand the extent of consequence and properly design a mitigation plan.
AustinAg2K
Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

I cant believe you are afraid to evaluate. everything needs to be weighed against a relative known. Especially unknowns. This is the only way to understand the extent of consequence and properly design a mitigation plan.

I think it's still a fair question, but it's not always easy to find statistics for each country. However, with some simple math, we can get a rough comparison to the US. Obviously there is more to it than my simple math below, but I don't have time to figure out our percentage of old people, smokers, etc. compared to Italy.

Italy is currently the worst case scenario, so I am going to use them to say how bad it can get. For the past week, as the virus has ramped up, they've averaged 600 deaths per day. Flu season is six months, so I'll use 180 days. If they were to maintain that average for the duration of flu season (currently there isn't much evidence this goes away after fly season, but I am just using that time for comparison) that's over 100,000 deaths for Italy. Now consider Italy has about 60 million people. The US has 300 million people, so you can multiple that 100,000 by 5 and get 500,000 deaths in the US for unchecked coronavirus. I think they estimate the flu kills 20,000-40,000 each year.
MaroonStain
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

I think it's still a fair question, but it's not always easy to find statistics for each country. However, with some simple math, we can get a rough comparison to the US. Obviously there is more to it than my simple math below, but I don't have time to figure out our percentage of old people, smokers, etc. compared to Italy.

Italy is currently the worst case scenario, so I am going to use them to say how bad it can get. For the past week, as the virus has ramped up, they've averaged 600 deaths per day. Flu season is six months, so I'll use 180 days. If they were to maintain that average for the duration of flu season (currently there isn't much evidence this goes away after fly season, but I am just using that time for comparison) that's over 100,000 deaths for Italy. Now consider Italy has about 60 million people. The US has 300 million people, so you can multiple that 100,000 by 5 and get 500,000 deaths in the US for unchecked coronavirus. I think they estimate the flu kills 20,000-40,000 each year.

Please cease the hysteria posting. Italy's population density, demographics and health care system are much different than US. Extrapolating death numbers is sadistic and does not add any positive value to any crisis.

Added to Ignore...
nortex97
AG
How does Germany only have 23 serious cases right now?
Zobel
AG
With the per capita stuff the population you sample from really changes the slope of those curves. The arbitrary nation boundaries don't necessarily line up with the epidemic outbreaks. For China, if you get the population of Hubei and plot the deaths there, you get right on the same cluster as Western countries.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

since you and many are so insistent on seeing this but unwilling to do the work to see this, i made a whole new post just for you and your cohort

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3102477/replies/56249481
Pumpkinhead
AG
Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

Here were some recent remarks on March 20th by the U.S. government, Chetos, related to their thoughts on the potential consequences of COVID-19 compared to the flu:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-c-oronavirus-task-force-press-briefing/

It is felt that COVID-19 is about two to three times more contagious than the regular flu, and potentially about 10 times more deadly. And no vaccine yet available. That is the Cliff Notes version of why COVID-19 is not being treated as 'just another flu', and why you are seeing governments across the world forcing social distancing and lockdowns, despite the huge economic costs.
mazag08
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

Here were some recent remarks on March 20th by the U.S. government, Chetos, related to their thoughts on the potential consequences of COVID-19 compared to the flu:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-c-oronavirus-task-force-press-briefing/

It is felt that COVID-19 is about two to three times more contagious than the regular flu, and potentially about 10 times more deadly. And no vaccine yet available. That if pretty much the Cliff Notes version of why COVID-19 is not being treated as 'just another flu', and why you are seeing governments across the world taking forcing social distancing, despite the huge economic costs.

And the "feelings" that produce that data are faulty, because we have absolutely no idea how many have had or currently have the chinese virus.

It's more likely the death rate is .01% than 1%, much less the astronomical numbers we've seen "experts" posting.
AustinAg2K
MaroonStain said:

AustinAg2K said:

Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

Please cease the hysteria posting. Italy's population density, demographics and health care system are much different than US. Extrapolating death numbers is sadistic and does not add any positive value to any crisis.

Added to Ignore...
Cool...
Pumpkinhead
AG
mazag08 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

It is felt that COVID-19 is about two to three times more contagious than the regular flu, and potentially about 10 times more deadly. And no vaccine yet available. That if pretty much the Cliff Notes version of why COVID-19 is not being treated as 'just another flu', and why you are seeing governments across the world taking forcing social distancing, despite the huge economic costs.

And the "feelings" that produce that data are faulty, because we have absolutely no idea how many have had or currently have the chinese virus.

It's more likely the death rate is .01% than 1%, much less the astronomical numbers we've seen "experts" posting.
I think the CDC and people like Dr. Fauci deserve to be called experts, not "experts" with double quotes. They are the people educated and experienced with infectious diseases in our country. Obviously doesn't mean they are always right or their models are going to be correct, but they are about the best we got.
mazag08
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

mazag08 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

I think the CDC and people like Dr. Fauci deserve to be called experts, not "experts" with double quotes. They are the people educated and experienced with infectious diseases in our country. Obviously doesn't mean they are always right or their models are going to be correct, but they are about the best we got.
That's fair, as long as you always keep in mind that models are just models. They don't think for themselves or use logical reasoning. They provide an output measured the way the creator intended based on a finite set of inputs. We don't have remotely close to 100% of the inputs, and we don't even know if ANY of the inputs are accurate.

So the models are nothing more than background noise until we know the exact data. And until we know how many people have and have had the virus, the models can't tell us anything within even a large error range.
Zobel
AG
I really think your last paragraph is overly pessimistic.

What are you basing that on?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Italy has one of the oldest population. No surprise to seem them at the top.
agforlife97
AG
So does the virus affect Asian people less severely than caucasian people? Or perhaps it's a function of authoritarianism (even Asian democracies are relatively authoritarian) vs. democracy?
Pumpkinhead
AG
mazag08 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

mazag08 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Chetos said:

Bankeraggie said:

Chetos said:

That's fair, as long as you always keep in mind that models are just models. They don't think for themselves or use logical reasoning. They provide an output measured the way the creator intended based on a finite set of inputs. We don't have remotely close to 100% of the inputs, and we don't even know if ANY of the inputs are accurate.

So the models are nothing more than background noise until we know the exact data. And until we know how many people have and have had the virus, the models can't tell us anything within even a large error range.
Actually design simulation modeling software for a living, nearly 25 years now, so quite familiar with statistical modeling practices.

Your comments don't change the fact that experts on infectious diseases in this country are saying COVID-19 is more contagious and more deadly than the regular flu. And they are experts not "experts", as I previously posted.
California Ag 90
AG
worth a read:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-israeli-expert-trump-is-right-about-covid-19-who-is-wrong-1.8691031
We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
VAXMaster
AG
Updated chart

USA still trending up at the same pace. US, and Canada trending together. Italy is starting to curve over. UK is on same path as Italy and other western European countries are even worse.

Stay safe out there!
FamousAgg
I believe we implemented lockdowns earlier in the process than Italy. We SHOULD start to see things level out before we reach them, but then again we moved earlier but with softer regulation, so who knows what we will have...
TxAG#2011
The world is on a very grim trajectory over the next couple months.
AgLA06
AG
Sad that what we seeon TV and that chart aren't anywhere close to the same.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.