Friend being force to close his Dental practice - Austin area

6,655 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aust Ag
BrokeAssAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How is this even legal?
AggieFrog
AG
Probably shouldn't be forced, but that profession is at the absolute extreme of risk (outside of emergency departments).

Our dentist & kids' orthodontist rescheduled all appointments out a couple of months this past Saturday.
dr_boogs
AG
Agree w you on the high risk category. My dad is 74 and still practices in the DFW area. I told him he should mail it in for a couple of weeks. He refused. So frustrating.
BrokeAssAggie
Just told me it's the ADA telling everyone to shut down
Dad
AG
I thought they just said to only treat emergencies. I was thinking of doing that anyway to limit my exposure.
BrokeAssAggie
aggie-beta said:

I thought they just said to only treat emergencies. I was thinking of doing that anyway to limit my exposure.

What dental procedure would be considered an "emergency"? Especially with all this going on.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I am a pulmonologist. On the front line. I rounded on 8 potential COVID pts just today (results pending). But my outpt practice has and will take a massive hit. Well visit cancellations by pts and due to distancing policies. Will be financial disaster. Horrified of impact and don't know what to do.There needs to be govt intervention. Suspend lease, rent and other bills temporarily. Disaster.
2PacShakur
AG
If they can, maybe they can donate extra supplies to a hospital after keeping some for any emergencies if the need arises.
duck79
AG
My wife is a pediatric hygienist and just found out an hour ago they are closing. There is obviously some relief there because of the danger it puts her in but there is a lot of uncertainty and stress as well.
DuncanAg
AG
dr_boogs said:

Agree w you on the high risk category. My dad is 74 and still practices in the DFW area. I told him he should mail it in for a couple of weeks. He refused. So frustrating.

I have the same situation...step-dad is 69 and is keeping it going.
Dad
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

aggie-beta said:

What dental procedure would be considered an "emergency"? Especially with all this going on.

If you break an upper front tooth, I wouldn't want you to wait months looking like q hillbilly before getting it repaired.

If your crown comes off and you wait months to get it cemented it might not fit anymore.

Mostly dental emergencies are teeth that are causing pain or are infected and we can treat them and keep those people out of an emergency room and out of pain.
BrokeAssAggie
Ahh, thanks.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
For how long?
brotherbear
AG
My wife manages a pediatric dentist and they are making the call tomorrow what to do. The ADA is suggesting a three week shut down.
TXTransplant
Just out of curiosity, does the ADA provide malpractice insurance? Is this a way for them to mitigate their liability should someone be exposed while being treated at a dentist's office?
BrokeAssAggie
Wozlaw said:

For how long?

He just said emergencies only, like another poster mentioned. Didn't say a time frame was given.
lazuras_dc
AG
It's only a recommendation from the ADA To postpone elective treatment for three weeks. Key word is recommendation so we do not have to follow it if we don't want to. But obviously (Most) everyone Wants to do the right thing.

What constitutes and emergency is the dentists call.
For me:
Emergency treatment to me is anything that can cause pain and infection. Abscesses tooth, pulpitis, decay to the nerve. Etc.
Key to this is keeping ERs free from dealing with dental issues which I know they hate on a normal day and now given COVID would probably drive them up the wall.

Urgent treatment is something like a crown off or broken tooth.

Elective - fillings, veneers , cleanings

I'm shutting down elective treatment after tomorrow. Sucks big ones for many reasons - cash flow, employees, patients. But I feel as if that's the right thing to do.
lazuras_dc
AG
As far as malpractice I believe ADA does have a contracted third party who provides it but it does not come with an ada membership.

For what it's worth, Malpractice SHOULD cover any claims for covid contraction. However it will be hard to prove it fame from the office unless there is cross negligence noted.
lazuras_dc
AG
The dangers are there bc we are at high risk creating aerosols in patients mouths. Seeing as they are infective before symptoms it's not a great situation to be in. So tell your relatives that are still going full bore to do a few things.
One minute rinse of 1% hydrogen peroxide has been shown to reduce some viral load. Use rubber dam or isolite. Avoid cavitron for aerosol. Change your mask/gown every patient. I would cleanse waiting room areas and door handles hourly with bleach wipes. And continue sterilization procedures as normal for back treatment operatories.
Allow no more than one guest other than patient to the back and allow folks to wait In their vehicles and limit crowded waiting rooms.
Handshake free zone obviously.
Ask if patient has been ill or traveled in the last week. If so no penalty to reschedule.
lazuras_dc
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

I am a pulmonologist. On the front line. I rounded on 8 potential COVID pts just today (results pending). But my outpt practice has and will take a massive hit. Well visit cancellations by pts and due to distancing policies. Will be financial disaster. Horrified of impact and don't know what to do.There needs to be govt intervention. Suspend lease, rent and other bills temporarily. Disaster.

I feel your pain. 1/3 or more of patients today canceled.

House passed a bill and senate hopefully soon for tax credits for wages paid during quarantine among other ways to help. Also securing SB lines of credit and loans for cash flow issues should be made easier and hopefully interest free ??
Win At Life
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

aggie-beta said:

Something like an impacted tooth. Don't want to have to go all Castaway and knock it out with an ice skate.
elaggie2002
AG
lazuras_dc said:

It's only a recommendation from the ADA To postpone elective treatment for three weeks. Key word is recommendation so we do not have to follow it if we don't want to. But obviously (Most) everyone Wants to do the right thing.

What constitutes and emergency is the dentists call.
For me:
Emergency treatment to me is anything that can cause pain and infection. Abscesses tooth, pulpitis, decay to the nerve. Etc.
Key to this is keeping ERs free from dealing with dental issues which I know they hate on a normal day and now given COVID would probably drive them up the wall.

Urgent treatment is something like a crown off or broken tooth.

Elective - fillings, veneers , cleanings

I'm shutting down elective treatment after tomorrow. Sucks big ones for many reasons - cash flow, employees, patients. But I feel as if that's the right thing to do.

Yeah it's a recommendation to pospone elective procedures. We have decided to stay open a couple of more days for non elective procedures. But then completely close after that. If this goes longer than 2 weeks we will be out of business. It's a tough tough time.
Hey Nav
AG
What is worse than tooth pain?

If I crack a molar on an olive pit I pray I have a dentist that will treat me.
lazuras_dc
AG
Hey Nav said:

You may have to call around but I bet you can find one. You can always call your existing dentist to find out what their plan is. Especially if you are prone to dental issues.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

You may have to call around but I bet you can find one. You can always call your existing dentist to find out what their plan is. Especially if you are prone to dental issues.
Yeah, agree with you. I've know my dentist a long time. Last year after a trauma I needed the services of my wonderful dentist, an endodontist, then the oral surgeon, and then my dentist again. Very grateful for their care.

I don't ever ever want to live in a world without dentists.
Badace52
AG
I bet if the government gave us a tax free year that would fix all these money issues real quick.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
encinoag
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

I feel your pain. 1/3 or more of patients today canceled.

House passed a bill and senate hopefully soon for tax credits for wages paid during quarantine among other ways to help. Also securing SB lines of credit and loans for cash flow issues should be made easier and hopefully interest free ??
Tax credits won't show up until 2021 filing
Dad
AG
I feel like lay offs will be forced on us. Either lay people off or go bankrupt.

If the state board lets us keep treating emergencies I will probably see emergencies for a few days a week unless the virus blows up locally.
ETFan
Yep, unbelievably awful timing. My wife is set to graduate in May with her DDS and had a job lined up. That's not looking likely. Hell, she cant take the WREB now.
SilverAg
AG
The TDA has said it's our call if we continue to see patients for elective procedures. Email sent today around 10pm.
Mordred
AG
Hey Nav said:

Just to be safe, stop eating olives.
ag97tx
AG
Did everyone close their office or limit visits to emergency/urgent only?
Rapier108
My dentist is limiting his practice to emergencies only so if someone breaks a tooth or has a major toothache, he will see you.

Glad I got my regular appointment in two weeks ago.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
dr_boogs
AG
Dad is a dentist in DFW. Practice w 4 docs. They are going full bore, no changes. He's 74. I told him he's nuts and tried to talk him out of it until he got teed off at me and I gave up.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Our practices just went emergencies only starting today. Hoping and praying the tide turns quickly and we can all get back to a somewhat normal schedule soon. God bless everyone and stay positive through these trying times!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.