Tiled walk in shower

8 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SeMgCo87
jholland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a brand new fully tiled walk in shower. Subway tile on all sides to the ceiling. Tile is on some type of cement board that doesn't hold water.

One wall is an outer wall of the house so obviously I cant check behind it because brick is on the other side.

Another wall faces my fireplace so I also cant access it from the back way to check for mold or water.

The third wall faces an interior wall so I've gotten access to it and everything seems find. What worries me is when I stick my hand down into the rubber lining (not sure the technical term) I can feel that there is moisture at the bottom.

My house got over two feet of water so I know water got in between the cement boards/tile wall and the brick.

Is it necessary to remove the tile? I've heard black mold can't grow on non fibrous materials and since there is no sheetrock or insulation I think I "may" be safe.

The rest of my house is completely gutted. I've been putting this off because I hate to tear out a grand of tile work if it isn't necessary.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I assume you have wood studs behind that cement board. I demo-ed a church gym that had brand new fllor to ceiling tile mounted on greenboard. There was water trapped in between the studs. Not to mention the tiles peeled from the mortar.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Ran into the same thing this weekend demo'ing a flood house in Nottingham Forrest.

Rip it out.
HumbleAg04
AG
Rip it out. Exterior wall has insulation that needs to go.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I've heard black mold can't grow on non fibrous materials and since there is no sheetrock or insulation I think I "may" be safe.
Why wouldn't you have insulation on an exterior wall?
agcivengineer
AG
We tore out a shower this past weekend...actually my first time we did that...and they had water back there and there was insulation. It looks to me like showers need to be torn out...and it sucks.
94chem
Would it be easier to remove the brick and treat from the outside?
SeMgCo87
AG
94chem said:

Would it be easier to remove the brick and treat from the outside?
I think the recommendations stated here are, unfortunately, correct. Cement board, whether the wonder board or hardiebacker variety, allow moisture to pass through it, but do not offer any protection to the underlying structure.

Sorry to say, but for the long term health of your family, rip it out.

Plus, if and when you want to sell it, you will have to write "yes, my house was flooded during 2017" on the disclosure, and the inspectors (from what have experienced recently) will pick, prod, and qualify every inspection point they make, including any tile installations - it may end up in a price concession by you.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.