What do I do about my kitchen cabinets?

6,497 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PremiumCabinets
PremiumCabinets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is my short guide to cabinets post flood. Hopefully this can answer some questions you guys have.

On average 3/4 of the cost of cabinets are in your base cabinets.

Saving your upper cabinets can save you money but that's mostly if you know who manufactured/supplied your cabinets and if those cabinets are still made and available for purchase. Even then if your cabinets are 5, 10, 15+ years old they have faded with time and the manufacturer has bought thousands of new batches of paint/stain so it's probably not going to match perfectly.

You could go full custom to match the uppers but good full custom cabinets are going to cost more than just replacing the uppers.

You could also get a similar style cabinet for the bases then repaint/stain all of them. Repainting/staining done right generally costs a lot. This is a "you pay for what you get" solution.

You can also just get new bases and uppers. This is the cheapest way with the least headache.

Want to save your countertop? You can try but be aware that for most material like granite are very likely to break during removal. This is especially true around areas like the sink or cooktop and corners. Lots of companies will not even offer this service because it begets bad blood. If I charged you to remove your countertop and it breaks then your pissed and I'm still out time and labor. If you do manage to get the top off the cabinetry below has to have sinks/cooktops in the same plays and keep the same footprint.

Your countertop has to come up and off to put new base cabinets in. Anyone telling you differently think they're MacGuyver.

If you don't have a way to find the person you're paying should they just not show up one day you're taking a big risk.

If you're going Cabinet shopping bring pictures of your kitchen/bathroom and you need to have measurements of each wall that has cabinets. You need to know exactly where on that wall windows are and how wide they are with trim. A cabinet should not go on top of trim or require cutting out trim. You need to know where your plumbing and/or gas outlets are. You need to know where your exhaust is above the stove. You should know the width of your appliances, particularly double ovens, wine coolers and cooktops. You need to know the width of your sink. You need the width/depth of your island.

If that's overwhelming you can request a site measurement from the company but no real design or quote can be done without this info. Schedule the measurement before you go in so you can save yourself an extra trip.

If you bring in measurements and the company trusts you and is willing to take your money and order cabinets without verifying them run! They clearly don't care if your kitchen works out. Small mistakes cost hundreds of dollars and often hours of extra work and weeks waiting for a new cabinet.

I hope that helped a little. If any of you have questions please let me know and I'll respond ASAP.
Civil 97
AG
Recommendations on supplier/ installer? Approximate cost per lf?
TMoney2007
AG
A mixed blessing, my mom just had her kitchen renovated, so she just gets to order all the bases again.
PremiumCabinets
Civil 97 said:

Recommendations on supplier/ installer? Approximate cost per lf?

Depends what you want to do. If you want new cabinets I'm with Premium Cabinets in Houston.

https://m.yelp.com/biz/premium-cabinets-houston

www.premiumcabinets.com/houston

Cost per linear foot is between $100 and $150 depending on style and layout. Cost per linear foot assumes if you have ten feet of base cabinets you have ten feet of uppers so if you have a ten foot wall of cabinets that's actually 20 ft of cabinetry. Base cabinets cost much more than upper cabinets. Cost per linear foot is a terrible metric though because we all essentially make it up.

If you have pantry cabinets or double oven cabinets it will be higher on the spectrum. If you have a kitchen with multiple angles that require a larger number of smaller cabinets it will be more. If you have an open ended galley kitchen that can be done with fewer larger cabinets your price will be lower.

The only way to get a close price is to provide measurements that are accurate or to have a site measurement. We provide free site measurements.

Let me know if you have questions.
PremiumCabinets
TMoney2007 said:

A mixed blessing, my mom just had her kitchen renovated, so she just gets to order all the bases again.

This is very true. Obviously it completely sucks having to spend that money but if you can find out who made the cabinets in what style and color then you have a chance to replicate it and save yourself money.

This is mostly applicable to people who bought their cabinets in the last 5 years. Longer than that and the style and color probably won't match due to natural fading. If you're cabinets are older than that it's unlikely the style and color still exists and unlikely that if it does it will match your current uppers.

It's also a tolerance game. If you're going to live there for many more years, maybe you don't care. If you want to sell your house the potential buyer may not have the same tolerance for variation you do.
surgeag
AG
Just removed my granite. Pulled the cabinets away from the wall and used the sawzall to cut all around the top. Then myself and about 4 others lifted the granite off and set it on the floor. The key is having AS MANY people as you can be apart of lifting it up. You have to keep the stress away from the thin parts by the sink.
PremiumCabinets
You made it through the hardest part. Now make sure the new cabinets you get match the same footprint as your previous ones. It's not hard for any cabinet provider to do this but make sure they are aware of this when designing it.
AcoldStArnolds79
AG
How does the granite need to be stored? Mine is outside now. Some under patio out of weather. Other pieces flat on the lawn.
Great thread.
PremiumCabinets
AcoldStArnolds79 said:

How does the granite need to be stored? Mine is outside now. Some under patio out of weather. Other pieces flat on the lawn.
Great thread.

I'm not an expert on the tops but I'd keep them out of the weather and make sure they aren't placed in a way that adds undue stress on the material or where it could fall over. Don't pile a bunch of stuff on it.
Just an Ag
AG
I have LOTS of granite in my kitchen so we are motivated to keep it. Our lower cabinets all back up to walls where we could get to the backs from behind for the clean out (so no bricked walls behind the cabinets). Our cabinet guy recommended we leave the granite and backsplash in-place. He will rebuild the cabinets piece-by-piece by taking out the affected piece then putting in the replacement piece, then he will do the next piece, then the next..... We had 15 inches in the house, slowly receding for 5 days. he gets started in a couple of days so i will report back on how this actually goes.
PremiumCabinets
So is he hoping he's going to clean up and reuse the face frames and doors and just redo the boxes? Is he custom making new doors then staining/painting them to match and piece mealing it in? I'm curious how his process works and what price point he is operating at. This a shop or a freelancer? No worries if you don't want to answer. I'm always curious what other people in the industry are doing.
94chem
We broke the pieces with the cooktop and sink insets, but saved the rest. The granite can be matched, according to our counter guy. We have a tiled kitchen. The uppers were refaced last year. I'm thinking the lowers can be built using the tile footprint and the granite, and easily matched to the top. Rather than replacing the tops, consider refacing and repainting everything.
PremiumCabinets
94chem said:

We broke the pieces with the cooktop and sink insets, but saved the rest. The granite can be matched, according to our counter guy. We have a tiled kitchen. The uppers were refaced last year. I'm thinking the lowers can be built using the tile footprint and the granite, and easily matched to the top. Rather than replacing the tops, consider refacing and repainting everything.

I have no idea about matching the granite. It's certainly no problem for any cabinet company to match the existing footprint.

It's not easy to match the upper cabinets.

Refacing and repainting is almost always more expensive than simply replacing the tops and going with all new cabinets. The tops are the cheapest part of the cabinet industry. Refacing is custom work and repainting is a crap shoot on quality. It's not that easy.

The uppers cost 1/3 to 1/4 what bases cost. If you spend 2x to make your bases match the uppers you spent more money than you would replacing it all.

You also have an infinitely superior product. The dude spray painting bases or uppers isn't giving you the quality and consistency that you have with new cabinets.

Look into the company or person you're spending money on. If they don't have a storefront how can you find them if they disappear?

If they're telling you you'll save gobs of money custom making the bases and staining/painting them to match then beware. Your upper cabinets cost nothing compared to that labor even if it works out well which is rare.
94chem
Probably will do the whole kitchen in order to upgrade quality of cabinets and paint.
surgeag
AG
Saw a horror story (facebook post) about a lady who pulled her upper cabinets and found the backs covered in mold. The water only got a couple feet in her house.

Anyone else have this experience?

I wonder if there is an easy way to check without pulling them off the wall and removing the crown moulding as well..
PremiumCabinets
Cut a small hole in the back of the cabinet. Do it in a place that won't be an eye sore. See what's on the flip side. If it's a big concern check a couple places. That sounds like a situation where water leaked in from above and made it's way behind them or in the wall. Could have been a leak from an upstairs sink years earlier that was never properly addressed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.