Jace - DH or RF?

3,252 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by austinag1997
Capstone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we got a little lucky last night, in that VERY few balls were hit to right field. The one that did gave Jace big problems. It basically turned what would ordinarily been a line out into a double. At the moment, he can't run. Further proof of that was in evidence when he "ran" home on the sacrifice fly (plus the grimace on his face).

All this to ask - would we be better off using Jace as DH in place of Schott and moving Gavin to RF?

Do we lose too much at the plate lifting Schott from the lineup? Does it make, under the current circumstances, our right field play better or worst moving necessary players around?

It will be fun to watch this play out and see the moves Schloss makes.
fav13andac1)c
AG
He stays in RF. Schott is also injured and hasn't played defense.
LB12Diamond
AG
No

These threads crack me up.

Some of my fav posts from this week.

"Why is Lamkin starting!"

"We need to move Gavin 6-8 in the line up!"

And now

"Bench Schott!"
rgag12
AG
It comes down to if you'd rather have Jack Bell in the lineup instead of Schott or Jace. Would you rather have a power bat in the line-up or have an outfielder that could catch one or two balls that would've dropped for base hits because Jace can't get to them
BadMoonRisin
AG
I think Jace will look better after 2 more days of rest. He's probably just hella sore. or at least I hope.

He looked better last night than when the injury happened but you could tell he was only pushing himself to about 70% to keep from further aggravating it.

I think he'll be OK for Saturday
Capstone
AG
Schott wouldn't play, in my scenario. He would be lifted from the DH role for Jace.

It appears I'm the only one concerned with Jace's ability to get to ball not hit right at him/near him. Noted.
203Raggie
AG
Capstone said:

Schott wouldn't play, in my scenario. He would be lifted from the DH role for Jace.

Hard no
AgBQ-00
AG
Schott is batting at ~.600 clip in the post season. Have to keep that bat in the lineup
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.
Divining Rod
I thought it was a big mistake playing him in right (yeah, I know, Schloss....). I was shocked how few balls were hit to right (heck, hit AT ALL). The extra bases and erstwhile outs that would become hits would have been a huge risk compared to the extra hitting power we might gain from him. We were very fortunate our pitching was beyond stellar.

But even that (the hitting) appears to be affected, and understandably so. I would expect his condition to improve somewhat, but I'm afraid we might see a loyalty-trumping-risk thing. I'd rather a lineup shakeup with the addition of another player instead. TN will exploit that if he's slowed.

(and yes, I hope I'm wrong and Jace hits two homers.... just my thoughts based on what I saw)
LB12Diamond
AG
Pretty sure our pitching had more to do with that one than the field conditions.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Also, Schott leads the team in Batting Average. He's not going anywhere.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Schott has a torn meniscus. The fact that he can even play at all is crazy.
Capstone
AG
Divining Rod said:

I thought it was a big mistake playing him in right (yeah, I know, Schloss....). I was shocked how few balls were hit to right (heck, hit AT ALL). The extra bases and erstwhile outs that would become hits would have been a huge risk compared to the extra hitting power we might gain from him. We were very fortunate our pitching was beyond stellar.

But even that (the hitting) appears to be affected, and understandably so. I would expect his condition to improve somewhat, but I'm afraid we might see a loyalty-trumping-risk thing. I'd rather a lineup shakeup with the addition of another player instead. TN will exploit that if he's slowed.

(and yes, I hope I'm wrong and Jace hits two homers.... just my thoughts based on what I saw)
This was my line of thought, too. The only glimpse into how much the injury is "hamstringing" his play was on the liner hit to him early in the game and it wasn't pretty. Could it have been a bad angle he took initially? Sure, but it was hard watching him chase the ball once it got past him. In his current state he is, unfortunately, a net negative in the field. Not his fault, he's injured.

Apparently, Diamond doesn't think you can ask questions or encourage dialogue, if it mentions making any sort of change. For the record, I wasn't on the "bench Schott" bandwagon when he went through his slump a few weeks ago. A hamstring injury an entirely different thing.
dabo man
AG
I'm not expecting much of an improvement from Jace. Hamstrings heal very slowly. Chestnut can cover a crazy amount of ground though, so I'm not terribly worried about it either.

Schloss is a master at moving the right pieces at the right time. He'll get the most out of the boys.
AgLA06
AG
LB12Diamond said:

No

These threads crack me up.

Some of my fav posts from this week.

"Why is Lamkin starting!"

"We need to move Gavin 6-8 in the line up!"

And now

"Bench Schott!"
You forgot about run rules and Cortez seems wild and why aren't we home team.
AgLA06
AG
Capstone said:

It appears I'm the only one concerned with Jace's ability to get to ball not hit right at him/near him. Noted.
You're going to lift arguably our best performing hitter in Omaha?

Jesus.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Reading line up advice from people who peaked in baseball in 5th grade Little League, telling one of the best collegiate baseball managers in world how to set a line card, never cease to amaze.

Capstone
AG
I guess you didn't read the last line of the OP.
bullard21k
AG
Schloss specifically said yesterday in his morning interview if Schott is healthy enough to try and stretch a single into a double he's plenty okay to roam around in the OF and basically said playing in the field was a high possibility

People are acting like Schott can barely walk. Look at his advanced running metrics during the CWS. They are nearly the same as his metrics during the season meaning while he's running funny he's not lost that much speed.

The only option is to put Jace @DH and Schott in LR/RF or leave it like it is and hope jace is moving better on Saturday. For me personally if Jace is moving like he did yesterday I would strongly consider putting Schott into the OF. Tenn is going to hit the ball to the outfield a lot and he's gonna have a lot more business then he saw against UF
RossWag
AG
You have to have Schott batting, he is tearing it up at the plate and Jace has not been batting like he did earlier in the season even before the hammy injury.

Hopefully, Gavin is breaking out of his hitting slump after that 2 for 4 performance last night.

The moves Schloss has made on defense are working and the pitching has just been outstanding. The pitching more than anything has allowed us to win the games so far and the defense behind them has been solid. Thus far, this is a "team" where each player is playing for each other. It is awesome we have the depth that allows us to put in another very talented player when one goes down, much less 3!

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Capstone said:

I guess you didn't read the last line of the OP.
Last line::

It appeared to me Schloss was making a mistake and he should switch to your lineup.

Perhaps I misread.

Mypoint is we have the best baseball manager in college baseball. I'm willing to follow his lead.

Gig em

Capstone
AG
Yeah, nowhere in my post did I ever question the job Schloss is doing/has done, moves he's made, etc.- he's been nails.

IMO he is the best head coach we have had in any of the major 3 sports in a LONG time.

My entire post was an observation and a couple questions. Observation - Jace is having a rough go chasing balls in the field (same observation that was shared by many in the game thread). Questions - do we lose too much of our offense moving him to DH and taking Schott's bat out the lineup and would a more mobile right fielder make that a good decision or not.

Ended up with it will be fun to see how Schloss handles the sitch.
Muy
AG
I'm sure there are plenty of Aggie coeds who would happily massage Jace's hammy until he heals before game 2.
bdgol07
AG
Defensively:
Jace with a tweaked hammy >>>>>> Schott with a torn meniscus
ahpetty33
AG
Do we have any position flex with an infielder who can play outfield and stash schott or Jace at 1B? Would their defense hurt us worse at first or RF?
bullard21k
AG
bdgol07 said:

Defensively:
Jace with a tweaked hammy >>>>>> Schott with a torn meniscus

From a running standpoint he's not especially if he is moving like he did yesterday.

You really think Jace could have tried to turn a single down RF line into a double the way Schott did against UK Or scored from first the way schott did against UF game 1? Not a chance the way Jace is moving right now. He was gingerly moving to home on the deep sac fly in first inning yesterday

Now if we want to discuss a 75% Jace being a better defender and having better arm than Schott I think that's a good debatable point to weigh whose the better option

From strictly a running and tracking baseballs down standpoint Schott is a lot faster and moving a lot better than Jace right this second. Again look at Schott running stats from yesterday and UK…he's literally running almost the same speed he did all season long without the tear. Listen to schloss interviews and he's basically saying everyone is overblowing Schott injury like he can barely walk

We also need to consider Tenn is going to put the bat on the ball a lot more than UF did. We aren't going to get lucky and have only 2 playable balls JL had to go track down. I think we can expect a heavy dosage of a variety of plays

LB12Diamond
AG
ahpetty33 said:

Do we have any position flex with an infielder who can play outfield and stash schott or Jace at 1B? Would their defense hurt us worse at first or RF?

How can you state "stash at first base" after watching all the key and hard plays Teddy has made the past three weeks?
trouble
AG
Gavin plays outfield.

There's not an infield position to "stash" a player with poor mobility at.
Divining Rod
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

Reading line up advice from people who peaked in baseball in 5th grade Little League, telling one of the best collegiate baseball managers in world how to set a line card, never cease to amaze.

i'm amazed at hiw many people read posts here and are incapable of discerning the meaning, purpose, or intent of the posts.

AggieBB
AG
Capstone said:

I think we got a little lucky last night, in that VERY few balls were hit to right field. The one that did gave Jace big problems. It basically turned what would ordinarily been a line out into a double. At the moment, he can't run. Further proof of that was in evidence when he "ran" home on the sacrifice fly (plus the grimace on his face).

All this to ask - would we be better off using Jace as DH in place of Schott and moving Gavin to RF?

Do we lose too much at the plate lifting Schott from the lineup? Does it make, under the current circumstances, our right field play better or worst moving necessary players around?

Yeah lets ditch our most consistent hitter in the post season for a guy that cant buy a hit.
austinag1997
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Schott has a torn meniscus. The fact that he can even play at all is crazy.

Cortizone injections into the knee help with the pain. He will need surgery next week. Can cofirm they hurt like hell!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.