Big surprise Longhorns have the best odds and A&M the worst CWS

32 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
GinMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M:Implied statistical probability to win CWS, via SportsLine: 10.5%

The word: One of only two national seeds left in the tournament, Texas A&M has the worst odds to win it all. Why? Perhaps oddsmakers aren't sold on the Aggies' pitching staff against some of these power hitter-heavy lineups in Omaha. Texas A&M's team ERA for starting pitchers is hovering around 5.00 coming into the tournament and clean innings have been an issue at times. The Aggies are hoping their eighth appearance in Omaha ends with the program's first-ever championship.

SIPS: Implied statistical probability to win CWS, via SportsLine: 22.2%

The word: The overall favorite to win the national championship, the Longhorns come into Omaha fresh off a marathon Game 3 win at ECU to clinch the Greenville Super Regional and thwart the Pirates' quest to play in their first College World Series. Equipped with seven everyday starters with 10 or more home runs this season, including Ivan Melendez (32) and Murphy Stehly (19), Texas is a tough out at the plate and leaving a pitch in the strike zone can be deadly. The Longhorns are hoping Tristan Stevens continues to pitch at an elite level after dominating this postseason.

Also….Tuck Fexas *horns down*
96ch53
AG
Good post….just win….shock them all
fulshearAg96
AG
Who gives a ####. Lets play some baseball!!!!
SMM48
AG
Ever since they moved the fences in at DF. It's a joke of a park
Oldfart2
What were our odds for winning the west?
Phog06
AG
Of course the media darlings are projected to win it all.
They go 0-2
I seriously do not understand the love fest the damn media and sports networks has for these clowns.
AGinHI
AG
Quote:

The other guy may in fact be the favorite.
The odds may be stacked against you, fair enough.
But what the odds don't know
is this isn't a math test.
This is a completely different kind of test
one where passion has a funny way of trumping logic.
So before you step up to the starting line
before the whistle blows and the clock starts ticking
just remember, out here, the results don't always add up!
No matter what the stats may say
and the experts may think
and the commentators may have predicted
when the race is on, all bets are off.
Don't be surprised if somebody decides to flip the script
and take a pass on yelling uncle!
And then suddenly, as the old saying goes
We got ourselves a game!
Gig'em Ags!
Eike Mlko
I think Vegas just wants to take a bunch of money from the most Delusional fan base of the greatest team of all time in the universe….ever.
Old Sarge
AG
Jeebus, I despise t.u. with every fiber of my being. The media pines for them to be at the top in every sport with theirs.

I hope they lose every game, in every sport, until the sun implodes to a black hole, and if they won a game after that, it'd be too soon.

When the Ags beat them, especially in football it gives the sports media a measure of heartburn, and we have a chance to do the same in the CWS. If we could eliminate them, it would comfort me greatly. For both beating the $ips, and their media minions. A two-fer.
Green is the new RED.
Texags Meltdown
AG
Bet it then
DGrimesAg92
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but on paper, they are hands down better than we are.
Texker
AG
Doesn't matter. The game isn't played on paper. Just ask TN and the other 5 top 8 seeds that are sitting at home.
cupofjoe04
AG
I hate them as much as anyone. But that article doesn't lie. We have been riding an incredible hot streak- but we also needed several comebacks to make it this far.

Inconsistent pitching without a dominate ace, and fielding that is often sketchy can easily get you beat against a good hitting team in Omaha. tu will be a very hard out for anyone.

If we can keep the offensive pressure up, and force an opponent to score 6-8 runs to stay in the game, we have as good of a chance as anyone. But if we cant chase opposing pitchers quickly, they put pressure on us by being aggressive on the base paths, and our starter gives up a handful… eventually the comeback will bite us.
Texker
AG
It's the CWS. Every team is a hard out or they wouldn't be there. If Dallas and Dettmer have quality starts and the defense avoids going into 10U mode I like our chances.

Schloss is an experienced CWS coach and our team chemistry is outstanding.

Bring it.
bv86ag
AG
As long as our team plays loose and relaxes and takes their at-bats in their normal fashion then we should be okay.
We weren't supposed to be here anyways according to the "experts".
Just play like it's a normal SEC West game.
No need to try to be a hero or make the moment too big...just play normal Aggie ball.
fightintxaggie10
AG
That actually is surprising.
Muy
AG
Tu has a storied history in Omaha and will get the more hype than most schools, every time.
West Point Aggie
AG
So eSPIN or eSIPn applies?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Vegas odds are for bets, not actual odds. Never forget this.
aggiebrad94
AG
How often does the favorite win?
t - cam
AG
BLSD said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but on paper, they are hands down better than we are.

Hands down? Give me a break
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
carl spacklers hat
BLSD said:

Care to expand on this opinion? The sip statistics that might look better on paper were mostly run up against Big XII comp. A&M's stats, by comparison, are against SEC/SECW competition. So, the on paper comparisons are pretty useless.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
t - cam
AG
Texas
8 runs per game
.318 ba
.412 obp
4.18 era

Texas A&M
7.5 runs per game
.292 ba
.402 obp
4.68 era

Statistically they are better than us but it's hardly hands down and they don't play in the SEC either.
They do absolutely wallop us in fielding %.
Hungry Ojos
t - cam said:

and they don't play in the SEC either.

This is kind of a big qualifier.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
We beat Texas 12-9 on their field. There are two ways we could face Texas in the second game of the World Series. If both teams win their opening games, we will play Texas in Game 6. If both teams lose their opening games, we will play Texas in Game 5. It would be a cherry on top to beat Texas in Game 6 on our way to a College World Series title, but I wouldn't care if Texas goes 0-2 in the College World Series.
JBGoode
AG
I have a sip friend who picks A&M and Arky to meet in the final. And he follows college baseball even more than football.

Yes, tu has been there 38 times and they will get the glory for that, but A&M is a hoss of a club right now.

tu is off and on - they won't outlast A&M. We have a great shot to bring this natty home.
Floorguy
TU has a very athletic team. They don't have the best chance to win it; but the ballpark is set up for their defense. They will run down some gap shots, that would have otherwise been HR's. Ags will have to hit well to advance, which they do, so it will be fun to watch. I'd love to beat them to get into the championship series. Damn that would be fun!!!
Aggieangler93
AG
tu has some real struggles pitching this year. I wouldn't buy into the kool aid. I don't do any formalized gambling. Say I placed a $50 bet that the Ags win it all. What would I get in return if they win?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
caleblyn
What was MS State's odds at this point last year?
Agsuffering@bulaw
The CWS favors front-end pitching. They have it. Ours has been inconsistent.
swimmerbabe11
oh man, I meant to share a cool article that ranked the 8 teams by MLB players from that school.

Super interesting..and yeah UT was at the top, but that doesn't make the article any less interesting.

Love seeing MLB players who speak favorably about their college experience.
HECUBUS
AG
The only difference between this ATM team and all the rest is that Schlossnagle is a baseball wizard.

Enjoy the show. It will only get better.
allenb
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The CWS favors front-end pitching. They have it. Ours has been inconsistent.

This. Yet we have over performed and they have under performed so far this season. The CWS field isn't home run friendly and tend to benefit pitching unfortunately.
APHIS AG
BLSD said:

And on paper, Tennessee was supposedly unstoppable.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.