Did they really have a moment of silence 'for racial inequality' prior to the game?

3,131 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buzzy
Buzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heard prior to the national anthem on Sunday, they had everyone stand for a moment of silence 'for everyone to contemplate racial inequality across the world'. Can anyone in attendance confirm this?

Did they do this Saturday, too?

I was hoping they'd focus on sports and leave politics and social justice issues out of it.
dixichkn
AG
I'm not sure that's even possible anymore. Sports just for the enjoyment of sports is dying on the vine. If not already dead.
Texags Meltdown
AG
On Saturday they made us all think we were about to sing the national anthem and then they showed a 3 minute video on racial equality and then did the anthem.
Buzzy
Texags Meltdown said:

On Saturday they made us all think we were about to sing the national anthem and then they showed a 3 minute video on racial equality and then did the anthem.
That is infuriating.
YellowPot_97
AG
Yep. They showed a video with all sports in it and then did a moment of silence. It was really awkward and forced. I hope this is the only time they pull this stunt.
Aggies2009
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

They showed a video with all sports in it and then did a moment of silence.
Nobody made you be silent... If you don't like it, why not protest it the way they protest the anthem?

Start shouting, start singing a loud song with your buddies... Be the change you want to see! I'm sure plenty of former students would love to join you in protest!

Remember this? The All Blacks are allowed to do their little dance before matches, so the fans took it into their own hands.
Aggie
AG
Well... glad I wasn't there for that chit
LB12Diamond
AG
I understand this is a song and dance for the school. And primarily to make sure negative football recruiting can be countered with statements showing what all the school is doing to ensure we are leader in the fore front of fighting this so perceived injustice.

So kind of like wearing a mask has long outlasted it's time, I accept it bc it for other reasons than the ones actually being stated.

Do I wear a mask bc I know it saves lives. A no

I wear it so I can go to the store and the stores stay open.

Is there systemic social injustice at A&M. No

But we need to portray that we are doing above and beyond to quiet critics.

It stinks but it's the way things have become thanks to the media and politics.
tjack16
AG
I was at the game yesterday and I enjoyed the 15-0 beatdown. Was a fun day at the ballpark.
cajunaggie08
AG
Buzzy said:

I was hoping they'd focus on sports and leave politics and social justice issues out of it.
So you were hoping they wouldnt play the national anthem too?
offenseguru
AG
Thankfully I was at Globe Life watching good baseball this weekend and just great entertaining atmosphere and some great National Anthem performances.
Aggie
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Buzzy said:

So you were hoping they wouldnt play the national anthem too?

It's sad we live in a time where people believe our national anthem is political
Alpha Texan
AG
tjack16 said:

I was at the game yesterday and I enjoyed the 15-0 beatdown. Was a fun day at the ballpark.
This is the content I come here to see
Mister Mystery Guest
How about we all just sing "Texas, our Texas" together during that moment of silence?
Buzzy
Mister Mystery Guest said:

How about we all just sing "Texas, our Texas" together during that moment of silence?
I've always thought it is a wonderfully imperialist song, it would be perfect for this situation, it'll drive the SJWs nuts!!
Aggies2009
AG

I was thinking Spirit of Aggieland, but Texas, Our Texas works haha
2020P.O.
Better than some kneeling during the anthem.
tjack16
AG
Aggies2009 said:

I was thinking Spirit of Aggieland, but Texas, Our Texas works haha

I've always thought it was weird we don't sing spirit of aggieland at baseball games
Divining Rod
i think thry should make everyone stand fir an hour and think of nothing but blacks and whites and diversity and the differences in our skin color and anything else you can come up with.

Then we can all get together to try to understand why we cant all just behave in a manner that MINIMIZES all that like MLK prayed for.
SABUILDERAG
Jebber said:

I understand this is a song and dance for the school. And primarily to make sure negative football recruiting can be countered with statements showing what all the school is doing to ensure we are leader in the fore front of fighting this so perceived injustice.

So kind of like wearing a mask has long outlasted it's time, I accept it bc it for other reasons than the ones actually being stated.

Do I wear a mask bc I know it saves lives. A no

I wear it so I can go to the store and the stores stay open.

Is there systemic social injustice at A&M. No

But we need to portray that we are doing above and beyond to quiet critics.

It stinks but it's the way things have become thanks to the media and politics.
Soft Totalitarianism.

"Live not by Lies" - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
farmrag
Y'all really need to get something more important to worry about. To many uptight people these days.
Buzzy
farmrag said:

Y'all really need to get something more important to worry about. To many uptight people these days.

Sorry most people don't like supporting a false narrative. Don't like it, feel free to return to your safe space.
milam1186
AG
dixichkn said:

I'm not sure that's even possible anymore. Sports just for the enjoyment of sports is dying on the vine. If not already dead.
Having the national anthem in front of a sports game is inherently political to begin with. What the heck does our country have to do with amateur or professional sports? We're the Texas A&M Aggies, not the USA Aggies. Save the anthem for team USA.
Buzzy

Playing the national anthem before sporting events is a holdover from WWII, when the national anthem was played prior to games to show support for the war effort.

Is it nationalistic? Of course.

Is it political? Not really.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.