SEC+ - Cheapest option

2,787 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by greg.w.h
I already have a dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the cheapest option to legally get the SEC+ network?

I cut cable late in 2019. (Actually I had cut cable quite a while ago and replaced it with Playstation Vue.) The fooball season was different but there are so few games that it made more sense to go somewhere to watch them than to reconnect. The only time I've really missed it was during last year's abbreviated baseball season. Probably wouldn't have made it through without subscribing if Covid hadn't made the point mute. I intend to stream using the ESPN app so other channels, ease of interface, etc. are meaningless to me.

Thanks for any suggestions!
BQ_90
AG
Thought espn + was $5 month. Just subscribe for the baseball season

Ignite this
SchizoAg
AG
ESPN+ doesn't get you SECN or SECN+.

For those, as of last year, Sling was the cheapest option, but they've raised the price and I don't know if it's still the cheapest. You need to get their "Sports Extra" package for an additional $11/month, on top of the $35/month basic package: https://www.sling.com/channels/sec-network-plus
ensign_beedrill
AG
Yep, Sling is probably the cheapest. $35 a month plus $15 for sports extra = $50/month.

But they're running a promotion right now where your first month is $10.

YouTube TV and HULU + LIVE TV are both $65/month.

--

Would be great if there was a way to just get only sports channels for a cheaper price, ya' know. It's really surprising to me that none of these services has offered that yet.
SchizoAg
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

Yep, Sling is probably the cheapest. $35 a month plus $15 for sports extra = $50/month.
Sports extra is only $11/month, so the total is $46/month. (If you already have a streaming device, you can take the promotional offer, and the first month is only $10 + $11 = $21.)

Actually the current schedule doesn't show any of the games being televised. Hopefully that's just a temporary oversight.
SchizoAg
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

Would be great if there was a way to just get only sports channels for a cheaper price, ya' know. It's really surprising to me that none of these services has offered that yet.
We're Never Getting True A-La-Carte TV, and Here's Why
ensign_beedrill
AG
Your link says $11 but the page I was at said $15. https://www.sling.com/programming/sports

Even better for you if it's $11.
ensign_beedrill
AG
SchizoAg said:

ensign_beedrill said:

Well that's a bummer. The only way to change it I guess is for people to stop buying it. I already don't. But if I could get even just an ESPN package for like $10/month, they'd gain me as a customer for football and baseball season.
SchizoAg
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

SchizoAg said:

ensign_beedrill said:

Well that's a bummer. The only way to change it I guess is for people to stop buying it. I already don't. But if I could get even just an ESPN package for like $10/month, they'd gain me as a customer for football and baseball season.
They could charge $30/month for just an ESPN package including SECN/SECN+, and I'd pay it because it's cheaper than the cheapest alternative.

There must be something built into the existing contracts that prevents ESPN from doing this, because it would undercut all of the cable/streaming providers.
twk
AG
SchizoAg said:

ensign_beedrill said:

SchizoAg said:

ensign_beedrill said:

They could charge $30/month for just an ESPN package including SECN/SECN+, and I'd pay it because it's cheaper than the cheapest alternative.

There must be something built into the existing contracts that prevents ESPN from doing this, because it would undercut all of the cable/streaming providers.

Read the article. ESPN isn't signing any carriage agreements; those deals are signed with Disney, and its Disney that requires the various platforms to take a bundle of unrelated content under one contract. Disney doesn't care that you only want to watch sports. They are going to make you swallow a bundle that includes some of their other channels, too.
UnseenAg
AG
I've been lurking here a while but I thought this might be helpful so I decided to post. Had the same question as OP so did some digging.

Tldr: Vidgo streaming plan includes SEC Network at $10/m for first 2 months. Mix with Sling for cheapest price.

If all you want is the SEC Network and plan to keep it for a while (8+ months) then Sling Orange + Sports package will likely be the cheapest in the long run but there is an alternative if you plan on just keeping it for the season.

Currently Vidgo has a promotional price of $10/m for the first two months and $55/m thereafter. Even taking into account the current Sling promotion the first 4 months would be $21 + $46 + $46 + $46 = $159 (Sling ORANGE not BLUE). First 4 months of Vidgo: $10 + $10 + $55 + $55 = $130. Or, after the first 2 months, switch from Vidgo to Sling to save even more. 4 month total of $76 if Sling promotion is still live or $112 if it isn't.

I got Vidgo a week ago and can confirm login credentials work on ESPN app. I've been able to watch SECN and SECN+ content on the app no problem. Like OP, I don't have much use for the other live channels so my plan is to split with my BIL since he wants the live streaming for the family (3 simultaneous streams) and I want just the login for the app. After the first two months I cancel and he starts for 2 more months at $10 each if the promotion is still live. Otherwise, $65 for 4 months (after split) isn't so bad.

SchizoAg said:

Actually the current schedule doesn't show any of the games being televised. Hopefully that's just a temporary oversight.

I checked on this and if you go to the ESPN app (or WatchESPN website), navigate to "Leagues" and choose NCAA Baseball you can see all the upcoming games. Currently there is only a placeholder thumbnail for the A&M games but they are on the schedule to air on SECN+.
LOYAL AG
AG
twk said:

SchizoAg said:

ensign_beedrill said:

SchizoAg said:

ensign_beedrill said:

Read the article. ESPN isn't signing any carriage agreements; those deals are signed with Disney, and its Disney that requires the various platforms to take a bundle of unrelated content under one contract. Disney doesn't care that you only want to watch sports. They are going to make you swallow a bundle that includes some of their other channels, too.
ESPN has put Disney and the carriers in a bit of a pickle here. ESPN has said in the past that a standalone product would cost $30/month or more which makes perfect sense. We know Disney charges carriers about $8.50 and we know that roughly 25% of viewers watching live sports. So rough math says that standalone ESPN costs $34. My guess is for that price most would stick with a cable/streaming bundle or just go without completely which is what we're doing outside of football season. I prefer baseball on the radio vs TV anyway so having HULU Live for four months is sufficient.

It has been reported that current carriage deals for ESPN to prevent them to sell direct to consumer for ESPN, 2, U, SECN and ACCN. I don't know if that's true but it would make sense. The cable/streaming bundle makes sense for everyone but the consumer so I don't see it going anywhere.
LOYAL AG
AG
SchizoAg said:

ensign_beedrill said:

That article isn't really very accurate anymore. You can subscribe to

CBS All Access which for $10/month gives you commercial free CBS, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nick and Smithsonian along with an extensive library of older content.
NBC has rolled out Peacock which has various price points and content options similar to CBS though it doesn't appear to have the handful of other networks tied in.
ABC hasn't gone this route yet but they're part of Disney and they have rolled out ESPN+ and Disney+ so you have to think it's coming at least for all but ESPN.

it's really ESPN that's holding the cable/streaming bundle together. Like I said in my earlier post Mickey knows standalone ESPN would cost $30+/month and they really don't want to test those waters with a company that's struggling as badly as ESPN is financially. If Mickey figures out how to separate ESPN from the bundles without losing the ship they'll do it. For now it's a contract issue but those deals expire eventually though I don't know when.
SchizoAg
AG
SchizoAg
AG
This looks like it might allow a subscriber to "share" a game with up to 3 guests:
https://www.sling.com/watchparty
I already have a dog
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions! Went with Vidgo. Worked great except it somehow showed me games from alternate universe where there was snow in the shady areas of Blue Bell Park and the Aggies got swept in a double header by Xavier. How did we look in the real world games?
Aggieangler93
AG
I already have a dog said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Went with Vidgo. Worked great except it somehow showed me games from alternate universe where there was snow in the shady areas of Blue Bell Park and the Aggies got swept in a double header by Xavier. How did we look in the real world games?
Unfortunately, we all saw the same feed.....

Can you check that vidgo for me one evening and let me know if you get Dallas Stars games or Texas Rangers? Youtube TV dumped Sinclair networks so now I can't watch hockey.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Tailgate88
AG

greg.w.h
AG

Easy to explain. It's a new alternative reality series called CovidVision...
I already have a dog
AG
Checked on it for you. Vidgo doesn't carry Regional Fox networks either so no Stars.
greg.w.h
AG
Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to track that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.