Softball, the National Anthem, and Politics

2,583 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXAggie2011
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Article that may be of interest due to former Aggie students/athletes on both sides:

https://www.theeagle.com/sports/several-aggies-part-of-team-walkout-over-scrap-yard-dawgs-national-anthem-tweet/article_70cfe250-b5d1-11ea-921b-5b3fd06fe82a.html

It got real political real quick. Don't know why Ms. May couldn't have just apologized for tweeting their image w/o permission and the team and others accept the apology and then move on. But I guess overreaction is the norm these days.
Captain Pablo
AG
Good gravy moravi
TXAggie2011
AG
Absolutely no reason to tweet Trump about it. Asking for trouble, for what gain?
rrtodds
AG
The team took the baseline ... did they stand in honor. ... did they kneel in mourning ... what exactly happened?
greg.w.h
AG
Because being a professional softball player is "a platform."
jkag89
Yeah, not exactly a very well written piece.
Belton Ag
AG
Looks a lot like ridiculous overreaction to a fairly obnoxious and tone deaf tweet.

Overall a pretty dumb event. Thanks, everyone involved, for your efforts in our race to the bottom.
Artimus Gordon
Oh what a bunch of whiny butthurt little things! Mrs May could stand to run a few of them off.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I support the players.
tjack16
AG
I think they didn't like her making a political statement for all of them without their permission. Like if your boss said "my entire company stands for ______" and you don't agree with it.

Same thing happened with one of my friends and his boss. She made a statement saying "all of my employees support pro-choice". And it was not taken well by many in the company.
BigBubbaAggie82
And true to form May nor the organization have yet to issue any statement or apology. The players were correct to leave
Colt98
AG
Why does a private buisness need to apologize? If that's their stance they can live with the conciquences. I hope the girls that quit are able to earn the same amount of money they were making from Scrapyard. I'm guessing the aren't...

I don't know May personally, but what little Ive seen of her around softball she is high on the crazy scale..
tjack16
AG
They should apologize for making a statement for all of their employees without their consent.
isitjustme
AG
tjholley16 said:

They should apologize for making a statement for all of their employees without their consent.
Why can't they players/others who left just say that's just May being May?
Why does it have to be such a big reaction?
Had she tweeted the pic but w/no shout out to Trump, would they have stayed?
Why is it only athletes that get to voice their opinions w/o repercussions so long as they're the "correct" opinions (Kap vs Brees), and management seemingly can't do anything about it?

These are questions I often wonder about.

And they players walked out - they are no longer their employees so no need to apologize.
TXAggie2011
AG
May's entitled to her views and she can voice them if she wants.

But the distinction and problem is she used the players to voice what is apparently her view
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.