Proposed SEC rule changes for the 2018 season

3,270 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ConLaw
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://d1baseball.com/columns/expanded-replay-potentially-coming/

1. Expanded Replay
Quote:

The most important proposal is an expansion of the video review/instant replay procedures. Under the SEC's proposed rule change, a coach would be granted one video challenge per game. Should the challenge succeed, the coach would have another to use later in the game. However, if it failed, he'd lose the ability to challenge another play the rest of the game.
2. Catcher's Wireless Earpiece
Quote:

Another interesting aspect of this proposal is the addition of a wireless ear piece in the catcher's helmet to improve pace of play. Under this proposal, the pitch to be thrown would be relayed via the ear piece as opposed to through signs or numerical codes. Advocates of the rule change say this addition would decrease the time of games by 20-25 minutes
3. Bat Testing (2020)
Quote:

Lastly, the committee proposed more rigorous and frequent bat testing beginning in 2020. This allows schools and conferences to get money to pay for the testing equipment, which costs $1,500. Under this new rule, bat testing would apply to the regular season and would be conducted before the first game of the series and before every midweek game.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Not sure how much the earpiece would really reduce time of games. When the catcher's receiving the signs, the batter's usually stepping out of the box, doing his routines...

Replay makes games longer I think.
twk
AG
I think replay works in MLB because they usually have a pretty good camera angle, and the time spent on replay would just be spent on arguments in the absence of replay.

In college ball, replays often seem to be denied simply because they don't have the angle, or the clarity, to make a call, so I don't know that it will settle as many arguments, but it's probably not a big enough waste of time that you would want to forego the opportunity of getting a wrong call changed when their is clear evidence to do it.
PJYoung
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

Not sure how much the earpiece would really reduce time of games. When the catcher's receiving the signs, the batter's usually stepping out of the box, doing his routines...

Replay makes games longer I think.

I would hope that the umpires would speed the batters up if the pitcher/catcher are ready.
W
AG
i think the earpiece could speed things up, but 20 to 25 minutes per game sounds a bit optimistic
OnlyForNow
AG
They also aren't forced to use it.

Doubt RC would jump on that band wagon.
BQ_90
AG
honestly I have no problem with the length of college games right now. Yea you get those games where 5 pitchers are used in an inning, but earpieces isn't fixing that.

I'd rather have the coaches get 3 challenges a game, but then they cannot come on the field and contest any call made by the ump. That waste more time than anything else.
brainman5000
AG
I don't understand. The vast majority of calls in baseball are blatantly obvious. The umpires get paid to make the few close ones. If we're going to video review those, why have umpires at all?

As for earpieces... ugh. If the battery is coached well, they shouldn't need hand-holding. I like the rule in tennis--no coaching allowed while the player is on the court. Do your coaching during practice, and let the players work it out once the game starts. After all, baseball is 90% mental...
src94
AG
Yeah, the other half is physical.
nereus
AG
brainman5000 said:

As for earpieces... ugh. If the battery is coached well, they shouldn't need hand-holding. I like the rule in tennis--no coaching allowed while the player is on the court. Do your coaching during practice, and let the players work it out once the game starts. After all, baseball is 90% mental...
I agree with this completely. I think the catcher should call the pitches, the quarterback should call the plays, the linebacker should call the coverage, etc. The coaches can teach during practice, between innings/series, and during a mound visit/timeout. That being said, I don't think there is any chance we will go back to that.
brainman5000
AG
src94 said:

Yeah, the other half is physical.

Yogi was one of a kind.
coyote68
If you save 4 seconds per pitch and average 30 pitches per inning that is 2 minutes per inning. Saves 18 minutes per game. The 20-25 mins could happen.
brainman5000
AG
nereus said:

brainman5000 said:

I agree with this completely. I think the catcher should call the pitches, the quarterback should call the plays, the linebacker should call the coverage, etc. The coaches can teach during practice, between innings/series, and during a mound visit/timeout. That being said, I don't think there is any chance we will go back to that.

I think you're right. And I can't blame the coaches... I wouldn't risk my reputation on the decisions made by teenagers. Unfortunately, we're seeing the results now in the big leagues. The only "big 4" (dang, another tennis reference!) sport I follow now is hockey. And it's only a matter of time before the NHL screws it up again.
VegasAg86
AG
Saving 5 seconds per pitch with 250 to 300 pitches/game gives the 20-25 minutes they estimate.
W
AG
however the batter is used to having those 5 extra seconds to adjust his gear, take a practice swing, etc..,

the ump will have to make sure the batter don't used up the "saved time"
W
AG
...and also during that time the batter picks up the signals from the 3rd base coach
mgreen
Take away batting and god forbid running gloves for the players to constantly adjust and save an hour easy. It drives me nuts.
RGLAG85
AG
Quote:

Another interesting aspect of this proposal is the addition of a wireless ear piece in the catcher's helmet to improve pace of play. Under this proposal, the pitch to be thrown would be relayed via the ear piece as opposed to through signs or numerical codes. Advocates of the rule change say this addition would decrease the time of games by 20-25 minutes

Yeah, I can see nothing going wrong with this at all.

Signaling in a pitch isn't the time consumer, it's the decision making and all the batter adjustments, this would save zero time. Rob is still going to say the pitch selection numerically and the catcher is still going to look at his wrist band. Saying 243 doesn't save any time than signaling 243. Verbally saying 2 seam zone 6 takes longer and risks interception.
Bondag
AG
Was watching Astros today and noticed the time between pitches was so much shorter than college. I think batters would get used to it. No reason not to have ear buds to solve this issue.
The_Accountant15
I'm a huge fan of the catcher's wireless earpiece proposal! I can't be the only one that gets annoyed when we have to wait 5-10 seconds every pitch just for the coach to relay the pitch call to the catcher
Aggieangler93
AG
Ryne Birk would not approve of this in the least bit!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Sea Pony 07
AG
I like the length of the games as they are now. I feel like I get my money's worth when I make the drive to Olsen. If anything, give the batters a time limit on the amount of adjusting and pre-swing rituals they have.
ConLaw
AG
Reduce the amount of time for batters to adjust gloves, move hat, squeeze balls, scrape some dirt, kiss a necklace, act like a GD obsessive compulsive and you'd save some time. That **** drives me crazy. Get in there and hit the damn ball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.