John Stilson

4,500 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by KaneIsAble
Aggies2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Named pre-season All-American... Congrats to him.

Does anyone thing he'll be a starter this season? He was a starter at JUCO, I think, and he pitched quite a few innings in the regionals last year. If he could dominate like he did last season as a starter, we'd pretty much be guaranteed a win in every Friday night game this season.
BradC34
AG
He's certainly capable of being a starter.

Would I move him there? I'm not so sure.
_mpaul
AG
Assuming we can score some runs this year and get at least good starting pitching from 3 other guys, I'd rather keep him as a closer.
Aggies2009
AG
True...

Who do you guys think will be in the weekend rotation? I'm guessing Wacha, Stripling, and possibly Hales if he's 100%, which he should be.

I also know about this walkon Kyle Stelma who was throwing 93 mph in tryouts, but I'm sure they'd want him to pitch weekdays first.

[This message has been edited by Aggies2009 (edited 1/12/2011 10:20a).]
BaseballFan04
I was talking with Gonzo a few days ago and he said Stilly will be gettin a shot to start this year. Thats not to say things won't change between now and opening day.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
I've also heard about this walkon Kyle Stelma who was throwing 93 mph in tryouts, but I'm sure they'd want him to pitch weekdays first.

Great story on this kid walking on and making the team. Thats a very difficult task. However, I'll be very suprised if he sees more than a handful of innings this year. He was throwing for a local MSBL type team this past fall and got knocked around pretty good by a team from Marlin.
Aggies2009
AG
Wait, when? Do you mean fall of 2009? Because in fall of 2010, he was practicing with A&M.

I only ask that because I kinda shadowed that team around (I guess I worded that poorly earlier... I hadn't HEARD about the walkon, I KNEW about the walkon haha), and I only saw him lose one game, and that was in early May. He walked quite a few (a problem he had practicing with A&M), and gave up 5 earned runs. Then again, he also won every other game he pitched (including beating the second-place team 9-3, throwing a complete game with only 8 fielders), and threw a few 1 and 2 hitters. He won the championship game, but again gave up a few walks early before settling in.

I do agree with you, though, that he may not see much time, and he may even redshirt. A year working with Childress would be great for him, and he'd have 2 years left.

Here are a few pics I have of him:

[This message has been edited by Aggies2009 (edited 1/12/2011 10:22a).]
AggieBB
AG
Yeah, I meant fall of '09.... sorry I cant get used to it being January already. The kid has a live arm but the talent level of the hitters he was seeing when he pitched for the Bandits isnt even on the same continent as what he will see when facing college hitters (even on weekdays). Hopefully RC can work with his raw talent and develop him to where he can be effective at this level.
Aggies2009
AG
Can't argue there. Those teams were not THAT good (although some did have college players, who went to places like U of H, and a few minor league players). He didn't look too bad against A&M's hitters in fall practices, but a year of redshirting may be best for him, especially if we're pretty solid already (which I've heard we are).

[This message has been edited by Aggies2009 (edited 1/12/2011 11:05p).]
Kyle_Stelma
AG
Any chance you still have the pics that were originally part of this post? I assume they were of the fall/spring A&M practices. Would love to see them if so.

-Kyle Stelma
KaneIsAble
AG
Uff - Stilson. Had an MRI that showed an issue but didnt compare it to a previous one. Same image 9 months apart with no changes but his agent flipped out and he didn't pitch the CWS.

What a kick in the pants.
94chem
KaneIsAble said:

Uff - Stilson. Had an MRI that showed an issue but didnt compare it to a previous one. Same image 9 months apart with no changes but his agent flipped out and he didn't pitch the CWS.

What a kick in the pants.

His agent?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
KaneIsAble
AG
Advisor is probably a better word.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.