*** SEC Realignment, PODs, and Scheduling ***

2,170 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Reno Hightower
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been thinking a lot about what the SEC should be like once OU and t.u. join, and I don't see the allure of the 4-team pod configurations nor the need for a conference championship.

The ideal structure/schedule is two 8-team divisions, East and West with regional offices in Atlanta and Houston, playing a total of 13 games. It respects the best geographic and historic rivalries. Additionally, each team should have a permanent cross-division opponent to preserve a rivalry game that was not captured in the two divisions. For those whose old rivalries are all within their division, it creates an opportunity to create intriguing, new match ups. Finally, since the SEC is the best atmosphere in sports, teams should play two home/away series with teams from the opposite division. This would ensure that every SEC team was played NLT every eight years. That would create a grand total of 10 SEC games per season.

The final three games on the schedule would be against non-conference opponents, one of each should be against a P5 team. With 13 total games played and the advent of the playoff (and anticipated future expansion), we could eliminate the conference championship game.

The list below is what I think the divisions and cross division rivals should look like. An asterisk indicates that particular team already has a non-conference rivalry.

West (Houston)
Arky (UT)
t.u. (UGA*)
Mizzou* (UKy*)
OU* (Bama)
TAMU (Auburn)
LSU (UF*)
MSU (USC*)
Ole Miss (Vandy)

East (Atlanta)
USC* (MSU)
UKy* (Mizzou*)
Vandy (Ole Miss)
UT (Arky)
UF* (LSU)
UGA* (t.u.)
Bama (OU*)
Auburn (TAMU)

Non-Conference Rivalries
* USC-Clemson
* UKy-Louisville
* Mizzou-UKansas
* UF-FSU
* UGA-GaTech
* OU-OSU
outsiderlookingin
I think you nailed the divisional lineups but swung and missed on cross or permenent opponents.

The "old" SEC is going to be very happy to have Auburn and Bama brought back into the fold.

We are basically a hybrid of the SWC and Big 12 plus LSU and Mississipi schools.
SEC Champs
AG
outsiderlookingin said:

I think you nailed the divisional lineups but swung and missed on cross or permanent opponents.

Regarding the concept of cross-division permanent rivals or the match-ups I proposed?

Enlighten me, I am genuinely interested.
10Aggie10
AG
I agree with two divisions vs. four pods.

I don't think there is a need for permanent rivals, though.

A small part of me likes eight conference games, which allows for the flexibility of non-con scheduling and 7 home games every year. I realize that means we'd only see Georgia at Kyle once every 16 years (wow!) so common sense says we'll increase.

I dont think 9 is necessarily the way to go...especially if one of the two interdivision games is permanent. Nine creates imbalanced schedules (which, yes, can be worked around). I predict the move may be 10 conference games. The SEC tried it out in 2020 and I think the office liked it.

With 10, you may be more likely to see a permanent rival but I'm going to guess no.

I'll add that it might be incremental. In 2025, they'll introduce 9 game conference schedule w/ no rivals. Within 4-8 years (a chance to get through everyone once), it will be proposed that we bump up to 10.

Just some rambling thoughts
Ugly
AG
Personally, I am hoping for a pod schedule, as that seems to solve most of the problems people have with the existing schedule. I also think it might open up interesting possibilities depending on how the new playoffs are formatted. For example, if conference champions are given an automatic spot, it makes sense to have two "conferences" each year, with one being made up of pods A and B, and the other made up of pods C and D. then next year, the "conferences" are pods A and C, and pods B and D, and so forth. This seems convoluted, but may make sense if the "Alliance" pushes things more towards a format of two super conferences. Even if they don't, this aviods the issues of potentially needing a four team playoff to decide a conference champion.
Reno Hightower
F*** the SEC
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.