Janusz Ratowski

4,274 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Wooahhhh
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there's a stickied thread but nobody reads those, what do we know about our newest signee.

On the Eric Vila to Antanas Kavaliauskas scale of european Aggie basketball players where do we think this guy lands?
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
I don't know a thing about him - but it sounds like he will be on scholarship - right?

I saw mention in the article our other two "scholarship" incoming fish in Mills and Turkson.

But, I am still curious why there continues to be little or no mention (even in an article like this one about our incoming freshmen) about an intriguing player from Houston (who appeared to be "committed" to play for Texas A&M as what I assume is a nonschalarship PWO) - the Guy V. Lewis Award Winner as the top player in the Greater Houston Area for 2024, Chris McDermott.

His stats (especially rebounding) were impressive last year. Please see: https://guyvlewisaward.org/

The Marksman
AG
I'm excited about this Pole. Seems like he can shoot and has excellent height. Not sure if he'll play much this season, but with a year on the bench learning from experienced vets like Andy and Coleman he could be a huge player for us in 25-26.
CactusThomas
AG
bobinator said:

On the Eric Vila to Antanas Kavaliauskas scale of european Aggie basketball players where do we think this guy lands?
No idea, and if I did, I wouldn't know how to quantify it to the requested scale -- but that still cracks me up.
PJYoung
AG
Seems like a project based on stats but Hop says those who saw him recently say he is taller than his listed 6 foot 9.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
It's just nice to have a basketball front page image at this time of the year...
MarcAg
AG
Knowing very little about the kid, I love the pick up. Young kid with international experience. Glad we are exploring the international option like a lot of other schools have started doing.
Rongagin71
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

I don't know a thing about him - but it sounds like he will be on scholarship - right?

I saw mention in the article our other two "scholarship" incoming fish in Mills and Turkson.

But, I am still curious why there continues to be little or no mention (even in an article like this one about our incoming freshmen) about an intriguing player from Houston (who appeared to be "committed" to play for Texas A&M as what I assume is a nonschalarship PWO) - the Guy V. Lewis Award Winner as the top player in the Greater Houston Area for 2024, Chris McDermott.

His stats (especially rebounding) were impressive last year. Please see: https://guyvlewisaward.org/

Article gives a lot of impressive stats and mentions McDermott was second in his graduating class.
The Pole is very young but could be a future stud.
My experience is that my optimism is rarely rewarded, but sometimes....
JJxvi
AG
bobinator said:

I know there's a stickied thread but nobody reads those, what do we know about our newest signee.

Tomas Ress
bobinator
AG
We need to sort the following for a proper scale:

Dylan Johns - England
Yavus Gultekin - Turkey
Eric Vila - Spain
Antanas Kavaliauskas - Lithuania
Tomas Ress - Italy

Europe hasn't exactly been a hotbed of talent for us, lol.
MarcAg
AG
I watched his last game in the Euros U20s. He didn't play too much in the previous games. He graded out as the most efficient player in their final game vs Spain. 12 points and 7 rebounds in 18 minutes. 5 of 5 from the field. I watched all of his minutes. He was one of the youngest players on the team as most were a year older than him, so that might have played a role in not getting as many minutes earlier on. Their team wasn't in contention for any medals in this last game so maybe that's why he got more run in that game.

The whole time I'm like he looks taller than 6'8. That was before I read on another thread and saw Hop say people said he is taller. He's not a leaper, but he moves well. Not a stiff, but you aren't going to say he's athletic. Good rebounder. Good screener. Finished pretty well around the rim. Hit a jumper from the elbow and shot looked good. Not an awful defender. Definitely needs to get stronger. Not surprising he has a high basketball IQ as you see with many euros.

It's really hard to gauge how well it all transfers. I doubt he was brought in with the expectation of contributing next year, but you never know how things turn out. American bigs usually take time to adjust to the college game as well. But kid has some skills to build off of. Poland looked to be poorly coached which didn't help with evaluation.

I like the pick up.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

We need to sort the following for a proper scale:

Dylan Johns - England
Yavus Gultekin - Turkey
Eric Vila - Spain
Antanas Kavaliauskas - Lithuania
Tomas Ress - Italy

Europe hasn't exactly been a hotbed of talent for us, lol.
You could give latin america a shout out by including Trocha, who if ya'll remember was a complete mystery and then we had to wait like a decade for him to become eligible to play.
CactusThomas
AG
No way. Canadians and Latin Americans are different. Tavario miller? was from the Bahamas. That's the cashius to tonny scale.

These guys are from overseas. Totally different scale.
taylorswift13_
How do you say Get Better in Polish
bobinator
AG
Latin-America and the Caribbean would bring in some more absolute legends. Garcia-Morales, Clemente, Tavario Miller, Andersson Garcia is from the Dominican Republic but we recruited him out of the portal so don't know if that counts.
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
Dario Quesada
MarcAg
AG
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious said:

Dario Quesada

If Dario would have committed to basketball as much as he committed to going to JD Wells to pick up chicks he could have been all SWC and all Big 12.
Aston04
AG
bobinator said:

Latin-America and the Caribbean would bring in some more absolute legends. Garcia-Morales, Clemente, Tavario Miller, Andersson Garcia is from the Dominican Republic but we recruited him out of the portal so don't know if that counts.
Garcia-Morales lit me up on the b court at the rec. This was before his first season.. I was wondering why this average looking guy was shooting pull up 3s on the fast break and owning me.

Edit- yes I mean G-M..
Method Man
You mean Garcia morales?
Flaith
AG
bobinator said:

If he's on the Antanas side of the scale, Buzz better hide the dance team!
greg.w.h
AG
Flaith said:

bobinator said:

If he's on the Antanas side of the scale, Buzz better hide the dance team!
Those darn southern Europeans…
Complete Idiot
MarcAg said:

I watched his last game in the Euros U20s. He didn't play too much in the previous games. He graded out as the most efficient player in their final game vs Spain. 12 points and 7 rebounds in 18 minutes. 5 of 5 from the field. I watched all of his minutes. He was one of the youngest players on the team as most were a year older than him, so that might have played a role in not getting as many minutes earlier on. Their team wasn't in contention for any medals in this last game so maybe that's why he got more run in that game.

The whole time I'm like he looks taller than 6'8. That was before I read on another thread and saw Hop say people said he is taller. He's not a leaper, but he moves well. Not a stiff, but you aren't going to say he's athletic. Good rebounder. Good screener. Finished pretty well around the rim. Hit a jumper from the elbow and shot looked good. Not an awful defender. Definitely needs to get stronger. Not surprising he has a high basketball IQ as you see with many euros.

It's really hard to gauge how well it all transfers. I doubt he was brought in with the expectation of contributing next year, but you never know how things turn out. American bigs usually take time to adjust to the college game as well. But kid has some skills to build off of. Poland looked to be poorly coached which didn't help with evaluation.

I like the pick up.
Thanks for the time spent researching and providing these thoughts
PJYoung
AG
MarcAg said:

I like the pick up.
Reminded me of the GameStop stock guy.

MarcAg
AG
He isn't going to turn into tens of millions for this program though like gamestock did for that dude.
bobinator
AG
Wow, hater.
Wooahhhh
AG
very difficult to type, but I agree with Complete Idiot, lol. Thanks for the write up, very appreciated. (moderator, this is very clean, FYI, do not try to skip around the vulgar filter says the man fresh off a 24 hour ban.)(Keep me off out of the Politics Forum, please).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.