Why do we go soft in OT

3,005 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by sanaug
Sq 17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Cougs are short handed and we let their #1 just bounce the ball go isolation

Should have been pressing after Sharp fouled out
dreyOO
Huge advantage and we flubbed it. Played a really dumb game overall. Why change in OT
Dolemite
AG
I don't know about going soft in OT, but calling a TO while Boots is driving the lane is questionable.
Know Your Enemy
AG
dreyOO said:

Huge advantage and we flubbed it. Played a really dumb game overall. Why change in OT

We played a great game. Hit FT's and we win. It's as simple as that.
Gap
AG
Houston was totally on the ropes and we decided to let them regroup and get comfortable when OT began.
Bassinagfan
We literally took the first half of OT off. Didn't score at all.

rondis23
AG
Houston never had an answer for A&M's press, and we went away from it. It was the ONLY thing that worked all night.
Tergdor
AG
Can't look at a team with foul trouble in OT and just let them run off 20 seconds every possession. UH wasn't missing shots all night. You have to press them
Sq 17
Gap said:

Houston was totally on the ropes and we decided to let them regroup and get comfortable when OT began.

Yes that is the point I was making yoj made it better letting them regroup then not being aggressive

Just turrible
Sq 17
Dolemite said:

I don't know about going soft in OT, but calling a TO while Boots is driving the lane is questionable.

I think buzz didn't want to have the game end with an unused TO
He should have let boots try to take it to the rim
TxAg76
AG
Should have gone aggressive with dribble drive and get fouls, right from the OT jump.
Could have got more guys fouled out quicker, and played against their bench in the last minutes
Furlock Bones
AG
Buzz gave the game to UH in OT. No idea what he was thinking.
Agmaniacmike12
Love Wade, we wouldn't have been here without him, but the undisciplined play, especially in OT knowing the advantages we have, really hurts.
kyledr04
AG
Yeah OT was crap, we had been killing them for the last few minutes then coasted. Drive at them every play knowing the whole team was fouled out or almost out.
TyperWoods
Should have pressured them more in OT.

They wanted to shorten the game with 4 of 5 starters out.

We played into their hands in OT.
TjgtAg08
AG
Sq 17 said:

The Cougs are short handed and we let their #1 just bounce the ball go isolation

Should have been pressing after Sharp fouled out

Dude, Shead is a senior and probably one of the best PGs in the nation. Was he just going to give the ball up? How were we going to make him? Trap and it's likely a foul and he's shooting easy FTs AND we have guys foul out.

If we had some fouls to give, then sure, you risk it, but we needed our guys to stay in the game, so we played him straight up, hoping we could force at least a miss or two, and he was perfect. Thems the breaks.

Boots missing two FTs early in OT was a back-breaker, kept us two possessions down.
pasquale
AG
We let Shead drive the lane after all their shooters were out of the game. Gotta force it out his hand
TjgtAg08
AG
Offensively, however, we could have driven a bit more, but we had some missed layups and TOs and gave up some offensive rebounds that were killer.
TjgtAg08
AG
pasquale said:

We let Shead drive the lane after all their shooters were out of the game. Gotta force it out his hand

Again, how? If your trap, it's more likely we foul and he gets easy FTS and we lose another guy. We lost in OT on offense, not on defense.
LB12Diamond
AG
I thought we did drive it after he fouled out. We were already down 5 though.
Onionman
Know Your Enemy said:

dreyOO said:

That's true in regulation.

But once we hit OT those missed FTs were a moot point. We played terrible in OT given that UH was down to the water boy.
Jumbo Fister
AG
Obaseki fouling out was a huge deal too. Driving lanes completely change when he's in the game
Onionman
pasquale said:

True, and can't foul a 3 point shot attempt when the shot clock was almost at 0.
TjgtAg08
AG
Onionman said:

Know Your Enemy said:

dreyOO said:

But once we hit OT those missed FTs were a moot point. We played terrible in OT given that UH was down to the water boy.

Boots missed two FTs almost right away in OT as well.
jagged
AG
We pressured enough to foul on a 3.

Seems like we should have not left Wade on Shead.

Sorry but it was not well coached in OT and we squandered the upper hand we had.
Onionman
TjgtAg08 said:

Onionman said:

Know Your Enemy said:

dreyOO said:

True, forgot about those....And a foul on 3 point attempt when shot clock almost at 0.
dreyOO
Know Your Enemy said:

dreyOO said:

Not trying to quibble because I actually agree with your post. I didn't want to expound, but I mean our guys wasted so many possessions that it killed our attacking strategy overall. Kills me because we took it to them and it should have worked. Just flubbed it.
Dolemite
AG
Jumbo Fister said:

Obaseki fouling out was a huge deal too. Driving lanes completely change when he's in the game

This is nitpicking, but I thought there were opportunities for Hefner and Lawrence to sub in and collect fouls at the end of regulation as opposed to Manny and Boots.
TjgtAg08
AG
Onionman said:

TjgtAg08 said:

Onionman said:

Know Your Enemy said:

dreyOO said:

True, forgot about those....And a foul on 3 point attempt when shot clock almost at 0.

Yeah the first minute of OT was brutal for us:

- Give up a 3 on an offensive rebound
- Wade TO
- Boots missed FT
- Wade foul on 3 with 3 seconds left in shot clock
- Wade misses layup

1 min in and we were already down 4, 30 seconds later we were down 6
Inca
AG
I think it just took us too long to recover mentally and emotionally. We had a literal miracle comeback to force OT. Easier said than done to be focused after that. Everyone here had counted it as an L long before the comeback happened. But the guys were out there fighting for their figurative lives. I can certainly see how it's hard to regain focus instantly.

It's unfortunate. I really wanted them to finish it out FOR THEMSELVES, not for me or the rest of the fans.

So proud of them for the grit and determination they showed tonight.
LB12Diamond
AG
jagged said:

We pressured enough to foul on a 3.

Seems like we should have not left Wade on Shead.

Sorry but it was not well coached in OT and we squandered the upper hand we had.

I totally agree. But I think Wade did that one. He was trying to help his team win. It is what it is.
rondis23
AG
Dolemite said:

Jumbo Fister said:

This is nitpicking, but I thought there were opportunities for Hefner and Lawrence to sub in and collect fouls at the end of regulation as opposed to Manny and Boots.

BOOM!

Watching Live streams and people's reactions to Andy Garcia's 3 at the end. "I don't like Houston's body language". Then we went RIGHT back to what got us in the hole. Houston had NO answer. I absolutely would've sent in 2 bench players the 1st minute of OT and pressed like HELL. Fouled out EVERY Houston starter, then put OUR starters back in.

Houston couldn't handle the Pressure, and we eased it up for then in OT.
rondis23
AG
txag72
AG
They hit that 3 right out of the box, we didn't answer and played from behind the whole OT. After just playing from behind for 40 minutes. Pretty tough on the mental and physical.
94chem
Sq 17 said:

Dolemite said:

I think buzz didn't want to have the game end with an unused TO
He should have let boots try to take it to the rim

He wanted the 3 pointer because he was counting on the rebound if we missed it. It didn't work out.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.