Just a theory

12,081 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Method Man
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You can make a run with really skilled players or you can make a run with dawgs. We lack both. I think Buzz maximized what we have overall. He just hasn't recruited enough very skilled players or very tough players. Like Martellus said "we need more guys who eat with their hands".
BQ_90
AG
Which is why we need to extend Buzz now, he needs at least 8 or 9 more years to these players you're talking about
bobinator
AG
A few times this year I thought we were tough, like the SECT Arkansas game and the Tennessee game.
txaggieacct85
AG
Agree. Tourney ball is different than the regular season and I'm seeing both in most of the teams still playing.

Although who would have predicted Princeton
LawHall88
AG
Yeah, "toughness" is a tough thing to quantify, but I'm not sure that's a problem.
AggieCrew44
AG
We're reading way too much into one awful game. This team was tough as nails all season. Most teams that start 6-5 like we did emotionally quit
Method Man
That's fair. We had good team resilience for a lot of SEC play. Go down the line though.
txaggieacct85
AG
Tourney jitters for the inexperienced
LawHall88
AG
Now Pickett is a dawg. Putting Penn State on his back. I think Texas wears them down and pulls away, but that guy is a gamer.
Method Man
The culture is belief and we have total buy in. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts but some of the parts need to be replaced with tougher or more skilled parts.
AggieCrew44
AG
Or they just didn't play well
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

You can make a run with really skilled players or you can make a run with dawgs. We lack both. I think Buzz maximized what we have overall. He just hasn't recruited enough very skilled players or very tough players. Like Martellus said "we need more guys who eat with their hands".

You didn't consider Radford, Taylor, Garcia, Dennis, etc. tough players?

How did they go 15-3 in the SEC if they were not a pretty tough minded group?
bobinator
AG
I'm assuming what Method means is more "athletic tough" like Houston or some West Virginia teams have been more than just mentally tough. Obviously Houston is an extreme example because they have skill also.

We have some guys that are tough, but they're not athletic enough to just muscle other teams out of their game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Good guard play is critical in the tourney. We didn't get it Thursday. Good teams can collapse on and limit bigs, like how PSU changed up how they handled Marble after his hot start. They can't take away G's, but G's gotta ball
Double Diamond
Buzz had guys like Jimmy Butler and Crowder. Total dogs. I don't see that here.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Double Diamond said:

Correct. There were probably no future NBA players on this year's team.
Method Man
It's kind of both but outside of Marble and Dennis we don't have guys who I think of this way. Maybe Washington can get there.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Coming into this year, we were 'Prove you can make NCAAT' bar with Buzz.

Are we at least beyond that now? We are a lot more confident now Buzz will field an NCAAT quality team next year? So now until he goes deep we are going to pick him apart like we picked apart Turgeon?
Method Man
Are we allowed to discuss things?
DannyDuberstein
AG
PSU is just a damn good team that had a bad stretch a few months ago
zagman
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Coming into this year, we were 'Prove you can make NCAAT' bar with Buzz.

Are we at least beyond that now? We are a lot more confident now Buzz will field an NCAAT quality team next year? So now until he goes deep we are going to pick him apart like we picked apart Turgeon?

I have confidence we "can" make the tournament next year. I certainly don't think it's a given.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Double Diamond said:

Wade Taylor IV
Mikeyshooter
AG
Tramon Mark looked pretty good. We don't have anyone that good and he's their 3rd best guard.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Are we allowed to discuss things?

Let's discuss it then. How close do we think this program is pulling off seasons like Texas Tech and Baylor recently did, and now the horns?

Current roster, do we think this returning nucleus is pretty good?

Taylor
Radford
Coleman
Marble
Garcia
Washington
Obaseki

And if we can can add at least couple of really good 'skills and dawgs' transfer portal guys to the above…is that a team you could see at least Top-20 and Second Weekend potential?

How far away do we think we are now?
Method Man
I don't think we are that far but Baylor has 3 Wade Taylors and UTx is more talented at every position with a good bench. Love Garcia and Washington but scoring off the bench is a HUGE problem.
Method Man
You looked at this roster and had too many things you hoped would happen. Hefner becomes the shooter we hoped. Manny takes a big step and becomes a reliable offensive player. Marble was the guy we hoped one of every four or five games. Coleman regressed. Gordon regressed. Wade made a huge jump. Radford stayed about the same. Buzz was amazing in a conference with overall bad shooting and his strategy worked most nights. We have to be multiple and we really do need another guy who can fill it up and or manufacture points when nothing else is working.
bobinator
AG
Being multiple is the biggest difference. We were really good when Wade Taylor was really good, we were not good at all when he wasn't good if we were playing a decent opponent. And not just his scoring, but nobody else could create anything.

We need more options or we're at the mercy of the draw even more than everyone already is.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

I don't think we are that far but Baylor has 3 Wade Taylors and UTx is more talented at every position with a good bench. Love Garcia and Washington but scoring off the bench is a HUGE problem.

I am with you. I am hoping those 7 players I listed return and then Buzz gets at least a couple of really good 'hits' out of transfer portal.

And then there is thst Bryce Lindsay freshman that we will have.

Who knows on him what we will see.
Method Man
Yep
Method Man
I like Lindsey.

Mikeyshooter
AG
bobinator said:

Being multiple is the biggest difference. We were really good when Wade Taylor was really good, we were not good at all when he wasn't good if we were playing a decent opponent. And not just his scoring, but nobody else could create anything.

We need more options or we're at the mercy of the draw even more than everyone already is.

Draw and foul trouble.
TyperWoods
Pumpkinhead said:

Double Diamond said:

Correct. There were probably no future NBA players on this year's team.

IV perhaps, and Solo more likely than Iv. Assuming development.

JMO

PatAg
AG
This thread is ridiculous, we are acting like our players werent tough now? give me a break
Method Man
Who are the dawgs?
PatAg
AG
Taylor, Radford, Dennis, Marble, Solo, Garcia
We had an overall poor game in the tourney, there's no need to try to rewrite history. The game tape from the rest of the season still exists. We out gutted most every team we played this year in sec play.
Unless you are saying dawg but you mean "extremely talented"

also for clarity's sake, its the offeseason and we can talk about whatever. I just think we shouldnt overreact down the path of acting like this team sucked. It didnt
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.