NIL and hoops portal

5,660 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NyAggie
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you want the top guys you better have NIL deals ready for them. Miami does

greg.w.h
AG
Some of these deals skirt the few remaining NCAA restrictions. We will see how it plays out.
Method Man
Is anyone shocked that kids that nobody would ever pay money to for adverstisements/speaking engagements are getting huge sums of money basically for their commitments?

I'm thrilled we have a lot of money but apparently we mostly care about football.
Method Man
Hey have you seen that new life wallet ad? It's got the kid nobody ever heard of outside of a few b-ball fans. Should be a huge selling point for potential clients!
Rocinante
Method Man said:

Is anyone shocked that kids that nobody would ever pay money to for adverstisements/speaking engagements are getting huge sums of money basically for their commitments?

I'm thrilled we have a lot of money but apparently we mostly care about football.

Shocked? What did you expect?
Method Man
I expect this exact same thing that's happening to happen.
BQ_90
AG
Method Man said:

I expect this exact same thing that's happening to happen.
You mean that same thing that was already happening before NIL
Method Man
If he's the exact same thing why did it need to change?
BQ_90
AG
Method Man said:

If he's the exact same thing why did it need to change?
Now it's legal, that's why it changed.
Method Man
Fair enough. Did this kid get $400,000 before this rule? I bet not.
MarcAg
AG
Method Man said:

I don't think he was getting $400,000 from Miami hoops before this.
bobinator
AG
It's going to be a wild few years before the market settles, but it's not surprising to me that there's a lot more money in the game now that it's above board than it was previously.

Donors are probably a lot more willing to give to this sort of thing than they were back when it was all cloak and dagger, and they probably are willing to give more knowing more of it is going directly to the players than back when it was being routed through who all knows who.
BQ_90
AG
Method Man said:

who knows, maybe not, maybe he got some and then his handlers, AAU coaches, posse, etal got a big chunk of the money, now he gets it all and has to make payroll on his own
Rocinante
What do you mean by the market settling?
bobinator
AG
I mean I don't think the numbers we're seeing for NIL deals right now are sustainable long term.

Maybe they are, but I doubt it.
Rocinante
What makes you think that? I hear other people say this but have never heard a rationale.
Rocinante
To the contrary I think it will only increase.

I remember when Jose Canseco and Kirby Puckett were signing like 5 year/ $25 million contracts and many were saying that it was unsustainable and it would settle down. Really just because it seemed like more than people thought it should be.
bobinator
AG
I'm not an economist so I don't have the right language to explain this, but it's not that different than anything else. Right now it's a brand new market (at least an open market) so it's going to take time to find its level.

Maybe not, maybe fan bases really are willing to pay out millions of dollars every year long term.
bobinator
AG
The difference is that this is more akin to if all MLB players were suddenly free agents. Every single player is on the market at the same time, and there's no historical data for what that player is worth.
greg.w.h
AG
This might not be obvious, but in stock markets and housing markets fewer sales supports higher values. More sales, specifically of houses in a single neighborhood or equity causes pricing to droop very quickly.

The lack of a fully free agent market benefits those who go on the market in smaller numbers.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I'm a big college sports fan but I'll admit I'm not at the fanatic level where I'm going to pay $1 to the AD or NIL or whatever. I pay my tickets, my cable, and streaming services bills as an entertainment expense and that is about that. Otherwise, my discretionary money is going to my own vacations or own kids or some charitable cause.

But of course I'll cheer on all the fellow sports fans who have that sort of leisure money to burn. I think the coaching salaries, the facilities arms race, and now this NIL thing have all gotten beyond ridiculous but all the power to the truly obsessed sports fanatics who keep feeding that monster.
MarcAg
AG

Kid went into portal. Then got him some NIL money to return back to his school. Smart kids today
Tavares19
AG
MarcAg said:

Kid went into portal. Then got him some NIL money to return back to his school. Smart kids today
Don't blame the kid at all but man this current landscape sucks.

Just wait until a big time player refuses to keep playing midseason unless they get more money, because it's absolutely gonna happen
Method Man
No man. It's awesome. Can't wait until it trickles down to HS.
Complete Idiot
Method Man said:

No man. It's awesome. Can't wait until it trickles down to HS.
My son is playing 12U and refused to play game unless coach promised a snow cone. Smart kids these days.
Complete Idiot
Tavares19 said:

MarcAg said:

Just wait until a big time player refuses to keep playing midseason unless they get more money, because it's absolutely gonna happen
That was my immediate thought - entering portal only to receive a better offer from current school, and then returning to that current school, is the collegiate version of a player holdout
wacarnolds
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Tavares19 said:

MarcAg said:

That was my immediate thought - entering portal only to receive a better offer from current school, and then returning to that current school, is the collegiate version of a player holdout

The collegiate version of a head coach calling up his agent and having him negotiate a better contract
bobinator
AG
It's not a holdout because he's not holding out. Just testing the waters and seeing what's out there in the offseason.

College sports either have to become pro sports or they're going to die, so all of the transition is hard to get used to, but that's really the choice.

Tavares19
AG
Pro sports have movement restrictions though. And contracts length. The way the landscape is setup now it's even worse than pro sports. They've got to dial it back at some point
bobinator
AG
Yeah it's not all the way there yet, that's why I said "have to become."

Once school can just pay players directly you could have contracts with clauses and whatnot.

We're in this weird zone right now where you can kind of see the inevitable, but we're not all the way there yet.
greg.w.h
AG
The NCAA is incapable of regulating it. And the last thing you want is federal regulation…
Tamuco99
wacarnolds said:

Complete Idiot said:

Tavares19 said:

MarcAg said:

The collegiate version of a head coach calling up his agent and having him negotiate a better contract
Yep, it's no fun when the rabbit also has a gun
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

I don't blame him. He sees what they are giving guys coming to Miami so he's like what about the guys already here.
LawHall88
AG
And he can walk and play somewhere else, Ruiz still has to pay him. Can't make NIL deals dependent on where he plays.

This is why we don't publicize the NIL deals. Ruiz's "everybody look at me" ego bites him in the ass.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.