Classic Bill Walton Moment at the Maui Invitational

4,076 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by eb93
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Hilarious!

I watch a lot of west coast games and he rarely knows any of the players outside of UCLA

Mikesyracuse1

monarch
S
Great example of a Cali weed head.
Peace for Ukraine!
AWP 97
AG
I love the way that the other announcer called him out on it.
jja79
AG
He didn't call him out. He was the straight man.
DukeMu
Walton remains a national treasure.
bobinator
AG
Benetti did play it a little different from how Pasch normally does, it was funny.
greg.w.h
AG
DukeMu said:

Walton remains a national treasure.
Exactly!!!
greg.w.h
AG
Reminds me of the voice announcers in Madden and MLB The Show...always feels slightly out of place...
ryanhnc10
AG
Walton is the worst. Immediate mute or channel change from me if he's on
jja79
AG
That's your opinion. I love listening to the guy. If you need the announcers to explain the game I guess he's bad but he's entertaining as hell.
bobinator
AG
The worse, or less you care about, the game, the better he is.
mdanyc03
AG
This is correct. If it's a big game or a game your team is playing in, it's bad. If it is a random late night west coast game you are watching casually, he's great.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Bill Walton is the conference of champions announcer and anyone bad mouthing our national treasure can get out.
Traveler
AG
this was funny ...

Question (I'm genuinely asking):

What is the main reason for the Bill Walton love? Does he have a kind of lovable idiot schtick? Or, is it just because he's a huge stoner?

because the little I've seen, Bill Walton is DEFINITELY not as charming or funny as Bill Walton thinks he is ..
Method Man
Love him
wacarnolds
AG
Traveler said:

What is the main reason for the Bill Walton love? Does he have a kind of lovable idiot schtick? Or, is it just because he's a huge stoner?

He's an all time great that seems to truly enjoy life and talking about basketball and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

And I think he's a great character in an otherwise boring world. I remember his show in the early 2000s being pretty funny, and yes the lovable idiot stoner schtick is a part of that.
bobinator
AG
Yeah it's just his general "who cares, we're watching basketball and living life" bit that I like. Doesn't act like sports are the most important thing in the world or like he's calling the moon landing.

Again, it gets annoying if it's an important game or if we're playing, but he brings some fun flavor to otherwise boring broadcasts.
ryanhnc10
AG
I guess I can see that, but his random ramblings come off as selfish attention whoring to me. If he wants to talk about random stuff during a game, get a podcast or radio show and use the material for that. Announcers should be a means to an end in enjoying what's happening on the game - I think it's inappropriate to do things that distract the viewer from the competition and he does it non-stop. I guess you could argue that announcers are there to entertain, but I think the opposite.
jja79
AG
He was in a very small group of the greatest CBB players ever. His 21-22 from the field in the Final Four was the greatest performance (IMO) in a CBB game. Best game I've seen anyone play. He could pass, shoot, rebound and defend and he played just the way is on TV.
OldAg68
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

Walton is the worst. Immediate mute or channel change from me if he's on
Amen brother.
superunknown
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah it's just his general "who cares, we're watching basketball and living life" bit that I like. Doesn't act like sports are the most important thing in the world or like he's calling the moon landing.

Again, it gets annoying if it's an important game or if we're playing, but he brings some fun flavor to otherwise boring broadcasts.

He was a great color analyst in the NBA on NBC days, and i think he had some personal/health issues shortly after. Ever since then he's really been about the "who cares, we're at a basketball game and living life" bit and its fantastic. Someone on Twitter said "its basically like Bill Walton has a podcast but there's a basketball game on in the background".
bobinator
AG
What's funny is I actually hated him on NBA games back then, but I like him now.
DeangeloVickers
AG
jja79
AG
Most of you are probably too young to have seen him play at UCLA but if you have 5 minutes this is something to see. Somewhere Larry Kenon is still having nightmares. He was 6'9" and became an excellent pro but he wasn't big enough or quick enough to handle Walton.

halfastros81
AG
It can get awkward but it's certainly a change of pace. As long as he isn't calling one of our games I won't mute it.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think it was last year, maybe, that, during a game, Bill Walton referenced that he almost committed suicide a decade prior---even said the specific date---and then said "I now have everything" and rubbed a bunch of chocolate on his face.

I thought that said/explained a lot about his approach to life, his approach to sports commentating, and why he's always 110% just Bill Walton being Bill Walton.
basic8
Saw his 2nd game as a frosh at Pauley; called friend back home and told him the big freshman was just a tall, avg,. player at best.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

He was in a very small group of the greatest CBB players ever. His 21-22 from the field in the Final Four was the greatest performance (IMO) in a CBB game. Best game I've seen anyone play. He could pass, shoot, rebound and defend

Absolutely right. I don't care to listen to him call a game, but he was an amazing player to watch in college.

He also was a heck of an addition to the Celtics in the mid-80s.

Now, I DO like to hear him tell his stories about Coach Wooden. One year at UCLA Walton came back to school sporting a beard. He told the coach he was keeping it. Wooden just said softly, "We're going to miss you, Bill."
jja79
AG
basic8 said:

Saw his 2nd game as a frosh at Pauley; called friend back home and told him the big freshman was just a tall, avg,. player at best.

Hopefully you aren't a recruiting coordinator.
expresswrittenconsent
Freshman were ineligible then, but he averaged 18ppg on 68% fg on the 20-0 ucla freshman team. 2 other fish also scored 18ppg, though, so I guess he was just an average starter on that team.
DukeMu
jja79 said:

Most of you are probably too young to have seen him play at UCLA but if you have 5 minutes this is something to see. Somewhere Larry Kenon is still having nightmares. He was 6'9" and became an excellent pro but he wasn't big enough or quick enough to handle Walton.

Walton was a Wizard at keeping the Bank Open. At that angle, if you hit the corner of the square on the backboard, it's Money.
DukeMu
OldArmy71 said:

Quote:

He was in a very small group of the greatest CBB players ever. His 21-22 from the field in the Final Four was the greatest performance (IMO) in a CBB game. Best game I've seen anyone play. He could pass, shoot, rebound and defend

Absolutely right. I don't care to listen to him call a game, but he was an amazing player to watch in college.

He also was a heck of an addition to the Celtics in the mid-80s.

Now, I DO like to hear him tell his stories about Coach Wooden. One year at UCLA Walton came back to school sporting a beard. He told the coach he was keeping it. Wooden just said softly, "We're going to miss you, Bill."

Before Walton's feet turned into rubble, he was a damn fine NBA baller. On the 1977 NBA Championship Trailblazer team Walton was the best defender in the league with 18.6/14.4/3.2/3.8 (Pts/Reb/Blocks/Assists) productivity, and operating at a Bill Russell level.

DukeMu
DeangeloVickers said:

wacarnolds
AG
birdman
The 80s Celtics vs. Lakers matchups were awesome lineups. Bill Walton was the best passer on the court. Not the best passing big man. The best passer.

Better than Magic, Bird or DJ.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.