RPI updates 2019-2020

6,400 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiebones
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I found some old threads titled "RPI as of 12/21" and "RPI post Oregon St" so I thought I'd start a generic thread to discuss RPI updates for this season. Yes, it seems pointless since we most likely wont make any form of postseason, but I'm feeling good after getting the Oregon St and Ole Miss wins, and competing well at Arkansas, so allow me this.

Gap had posted earlier in the year, after Fairfield, old Kennedy Highest/Lowest RPI wins so I think he is tracking this for Buzz as well.

I'm using Real Time RPI - let me know if there is a better source.

On 1/8 we are no longer last in the SEC in RPI - Vandy is, we are 13th.

1/8 RPI for the Ags is 156, SOS rank is 96.

Ags best RPI win is vs Oregon St, who is 56th, then Ole Miss who is at 111. Worst RPI loss is obviously Fairfield, but they are now 230? I had thought they were in 300's when we lost. TAMU CC is 348th and we only won by 3.

SEC is currently the 6th ranked conference, by RPI.

Fun watching this team grow and improve - they hit shots some shots, they have a chance due to the defense. Pretty simple I guess.

REFERENCE

Warren Nolan:
RPI: http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/rpi-live
NET: http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/net

CBS:
RPI: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/rpi/
NET: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/net/

KenPom: https://kenpom.com/
Tango_Mike
Warren Nolan and CBS are better places to get RPI. Real Time RPI only updates like once a week, which is the exact opposite of real time.

And before someone chimes in that the RPI is dead and KenPom is so much better - RPI was never meant to be a predictive measure, it's only supposed to be an index-type value of whom you've played. KenPom is meant to be a pace-adjusted, predictive (along a Beta-style distribution of Bayesian probabilities) measure. They are absolutely not measuring the same things.

Edit to haze myself: "X is the 'exact opposite'" is easily one of the most overused (and incorrectly used) phrases in modern verbal diarrhea. Why didn't I just say "once a week is a lot different than real time"? What a clown
rwtxag83
AG
Steps on a journey.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Complete Idiot
Tango_Mike said:

Warren Nolan and CBS are better places to get RPI. Real Time RPI only updates like once a week, which is the exact opposite of real time.

And before someone chimes in that the RPI is dead and KenPom is so much better - RPI was never meant to be a predictive measure, it's only supposed to be an index-type value of whom you've played. KenPom is meant to be a pace-adjusted, predictive (along a Beta-style distribution of Bayesian probabilities) measure. They are absolutely not measuring the same things.
I'd prefer you provide updates rather than a complete idiot.
Mikeyshooter
AG
We're 159 in KenPom.
Complete Idiot
As of today, our Kenpom is 159 - close to that RPI of 156.
gig them
AG
Just wanted to let y'all know our KenPom is 159
Complete Idiot
Hey, those first two posts had the same timestamp - it wasn't there when I went to reply.

PS: Our Kenpom is now 159.
DukeMu
The NCAAT committee no longer uses RPI. TG.

We Can't shoot at all (333 eFG, 353 3FG%), but defensive efficiency up to 53rd. We're defending the 3 pretty well considering our strategy of dribble drive overplay. #46 in Block%

Nebo has an eFG% of 70, for 6th in the nation!! He's 16th in Block% and 6th in FTR rate (getting to the line). Keep feeding the big man, and he was finding the open midrange and 3 in the 2nd half when doubled. Of course, he made a couple of key FGs while doubled.

Flagg is the only other regular with an effective FG% over 50%.

Gordon has a decent assist rate (19) and is 2nd in the nation

Gordon's FG% will improve. He has the extra burden as a Fish of PG responsibilities, even though he is a combo guard. That usually depresses FG%. However,

1. Gordon can create his own shot

and

2. Our passing is getting better, and we're starting to set decent ball screens. We saw a little give and go and pick and roll last night.
DukeMu
^kenpom metrics

Gordon is 2nd in the nation in not committing fouls. We need more TOs than the opponents, committing less FTs and rebounding to win in Buzz' system.
miller0926
AG
NET is up to 147. Was 185 yesterday and we were the lowest power 6 team
Complete Idiot
Added some links to original post if anyone wants to refer to, or update, this thread down the road.
gig them
AG
DukeMu said:

We Can't shoot at all (333 eFG, 353 3FG%), but defensive efficiency up to 53rd. We're defending the 3 pretty well considering our strategy of dribble drive overplay. #46 in Block%

Nebo has an eFG% of 70, for 6th in the nation!! He's 16th in Block% and 6th in FTR rate (getting to the line). Keep feeding the big man, and he was finding the open midrange and 3 in the 2nd half when doubled. Of course, he made a couple of key FGs while doubled.

Gordon's FG% will improve. He has the extra burden as a Fish of PG responsibilities, even though he is a combo guard. That usually depresses FG%. However,

and

2. Our passing is getting better, and we're starting to set decent ball screens. We saw a little give and go and pick and roll last night.

Also worth noting that Nebo's block rate leads the SEC by an INSANE margin. The difference between him and 2nd is the same as the difference between 2nd and 12th.

If he doesn't make SEC All-Defensive team, we burn it down.
DukeMu
gig them said:

DukeMu said:

and

Also worth noting that Nebo's block rate leads the SEC by an INSANE margin. The difference between him and 2nd is the same as the difference between 2nd and 12th.

Also 88.9% eFG% in conference, also #1 in the SEC. It's really early, but that holy *****.
Gap
AG
I love taking a look at all the different ratings whether it be RPI, Net, or KenPom. We are definitely playing much better than earlier in the year and the ratings reflect that.

As if this morning:
#157 NET
#157 RPI per teamrankings
#159 KenPom
#163 RPI per realtime

It is interesting that with more data the separate measurements are starting to get close together.
Complete Idiot
Warren Nolan:
RPI - 140
Net - 121

KenPom: 134
wacarnolds
AG
DukeMu said:

gig them said:

Also 88.9% eFG% in conference, also #1 in the SEC. It's really early, but that holy *****.

Twice as many blocks (8) as missed shots (3) in SEC play
miller0926
AG
Down to 145 in NET
Complete Idiot
Warren Nolan:
RPI - 142 (below Texas Southern and Texas State)
Net - 133

KenPom: 150
Complete Idiot
Can't edit the title or I'd change it to "NET" rather than "RPI". Kept using "RPI" because I am old, fear change, and am lazy.

Warren Nolan Net: 127 (Tennessee is 63rd, Georgia 98th, Fairfield 264th)

154th in KenPom (Tennessee 58, Georgia 95)
Gap
AG
We jumped 22 spots from yesterday in the NET Rankings given the win at Tennessee (from 149 to 127).

Complete Idiot
ALabama had NET rankings of 36 (CBS) and 38 (Nolan)

Best win?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Best win?

By a mile.
Complete Idiot
Fairfield moved up a bit to 285.
Complete Idiot
Moved up to 113 in NET (nolan)

Auburn was 27, now 35 - and is our best win of the year.
Repeat the Line
Complete Idiot said:

Username checks out.
Complete Idiot
Dog-Faced Pony Soldier said:

Complete Idiot said:

Username checks out.
Fairfield now 291 with a bullet.

If I had a dog face I'd take everything super seriously too, I get it.
Adam87inSA
AG
Junkhead said:

Complete Idiot said:

Best win?

By a mile.
What is Tennessee ranked now? That's a nice road win too.
aggiebones
AG
We got a better road win...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.