What happened to Tyler Davis?

13,580 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bullpen Chias
Seven Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He signed a two-way contract with OKC last year, then averaged 17 and 11 for their G League team before being called up to the NBA. He played one game, then was cut. He didn't play another G League game and didn't sign with anyone else in the NBA or overseas. He's also not in the NBA Summer League, as far as I can tell. I wasn't able to find any news saying he was recovering from a major injury either.
Aston04
AG
Searched twitter- couldn't find him.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's just odd that he was having some success and then just disappeared. It has to be an injury. No one puts up 17/11 and then can't get a Summer League invite the next year.

-Edit: looks like he's playing for Orlando this summer and finished last season playing in Puerto Rico.
war hymn aggie
AG
Tyler announced a few months ago that he was stepping down from the game to focus on his mental health (depression).
Seven Costanza
AG
Oh okay. Well that explains it.
wacarnolds
AG
Tyler is playing for Orlando's summer league team
Method Man
Awesome!
Tobias Funke
AG
This thread was a real roller coaster!

Glad to hear he's playing somewhere
Method Man
Turns out he won mega millions!
akm91
AG
Glad to see that he's dealing with his depression issue and able to get back to playing basketball.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Seven Costanza
AG
Orlando has played a couple of games, but Davis hasn't appeared in either game and his name is not listed amongst the DNPs.
wacarnolds
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Orlando has played a couple of games, but Davis hasn't appeared in either game and his name is not listed amongst the DNPs.

I was scanning the highlights against the spurs and didn't see him dressed out on the bench. Not sure if he's only playing some games or isn't even active, but they announced a few weeks ago he was on their roster. And he tried out for the Rockets a few months back, so he still appears to be seeking an opportunity.
Method Man
Tyler would've been amazing in the 90s
Aston04
AG
I hope he goes to Europe. Surely somewhere will value his game $$. Gigem Tyler!
NoahAg
He turned into a really good player for us. But we all knew his game could not translate to the NBA. That's not meant as an insult. He could still have a good career overseas if he wants to.
agjay
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/tyler-davis-headed-overseas/
klegldb06
AG
Playing in Puerto Rico:
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Tyler-Davis/Summary/73165#International
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Was told tonight that Tyler got a great deal/contract in a China and that's where he'll be.

The cbs link above says where but I was just verifying.
Aston04
AG
Sounds good! Happy for him.
expresswrittenconsent
Hope he is doing well mentally. China can feel lonely for a 7ft american, even one making big $$.
LawHall88
AG
This is a good article on the challenges of playing in China:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/27/chinese-basketball-association-jimmer-fredette-shabazz-muhammad-stephon-marbury

Long story short, there can be substantial culture shock and not everyone is able to handle it.
DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

Tyler is playing for Orlando's summer league team

If you can conquer clinical depression, the professions b-ball is yours. Go Tyler!
DukeMu
Method Man said:

Tyler would've been amazing in the 90s

True. Everyone has to be a stretch whatever, today.
DukeMu
expresswrittenconsent said:

Hope he is doing well mentally. China can feel lonely for a 7ft american, even one making big $$.

expresswrittenconsent
What's your point?
akm91
AG
Urumqi is pretty far away from what most people think when they think China, it is pretty remote. The closest city with another team is over 1700 miles away.

tysker
AG
Quote:

The closest city with another team is over 1700 miles away.
94chem
DukeMu said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Yeah, what's your point? Moving to a Muslim city known for its forced settlement of Han Chinese to reduce rebellion, thousands of miles from anywhere... Nobody thought he was living in the Gobi Desert by himself.
akm91
AG
Here's a visual of the Chinese Basket Ball Team locations:

Isaih Smollett
bet the winters suck there
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm going to proctor a guess I'm the only person here who has been to Urumqi.

This is going to be a challenging experience for Tyler, to say the least.

Isolated area, accelerating civil strife out there, very much not a western culture, two (unrelated) languages dominate, and he's going to be playing in a small arena, to boot.
Pumpkinhead
AG
So looks like last season there were two U.S. players on that Xinjiang Flying Tigers roster, Jarnell Stokes (whom some folks may remember played for Tennessee a few years back, and PG Kay Felder. Also, two of the assistant coaches on the coaching staff were Americans.

Wiki says the Arena capacity is only 3800.
Scorebook
AG
I am going on an Asia trip next year and Xinjiang is on my list of maybes. Unfortunately their season appears to end in early May and I'm going in June/July.

I hope Tyler eats lots of big plates of chicken.
txag72
AG
I would also hazard a guess that home then away won't be the case for this team/city. Seems you would be living on the road predominantly, then be home for several weeks to play. Anyone have a schedule? Either way, that's going to be a tough life. Hopefully it's really good money.
94chem
Scorebook said:

I am going on an Asia trip next year and Xinjiang is on my list of maybes. Unfortunately their season appears to end in early May and I'm going in June/July.

I hope Tyler eats lots of big plates of chicken.

2 women from Bishkek stayed with us a few years ago. My first experience with Chinese, Russian-speaking Muslims. Interesting part of the world. We never learned about this stuff as kids, because the USSR was just this monolithic beast.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.