Why can't we recruit shooters?

2,394 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Expert Analysis
Post removed:
by user
USAFLT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because Kennedy sucks at recruiting. He landed had one good recruiting class that was largely not his doing. This has been coming for two years and if you think this is bad haha just wait until conference play.
JJxvi
AG
Shooting is obviously not something Kennedy cares about. Even the great shooters he's brought in have really almost just been another skill to athletic scorers that transferred in.
Richierich2323
I would also say that our system and the way we play has not been good for outside shooting. You can't just pass the ball on the outside of a zone and be successful.

You have to attack the openings and use the dribble to either freeze or pull a defender away from an area and set up your spot shooters in those areas. We didn't really do that last night except for a few minutes of the game...and when we did that we hit those outside shots or got open looks inside that turned into dunks or easy layups.

Isaih Smollett
Another problem is BK sees our guys and then doesn't think anyone can shoot, so we defend the 3 poorly
AggieTFA06
AG
I think we do recruit shooters, it's that Kennedy doesn't use them right.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Aston04
AG
I mentioned this is another thread... But the the real question is why don't we recruit enough guards (who can shoot)? Every year we are put in a tough spot seemingly with injuries or suspensions, etc of a few key pieces.... Needs to start bringing in more guards and let them fight for spots.

Watching Mahan's tape- the kid can shoot. Feel confident about that. I don't think we will shoot that poorly from 3 all year.

Starks does need to stop jacking up threes though. He should focus on getting to the hoop, making free throws, and playing defense.
GE
AG
Aston04 said:

I mentioned this is another thread... But the the real question is why don't we recruit enough guards (who can shoot)? Every year we are put in a tough spot seemingly with injuries or suspensions, etc of a few key pieces.... Needs to start bringing in more guards and let them fight for spots.

Watching Mahan's tape- the kid can shoot. Feel confident about that. I don't think we will shoot that poorly from 3 all year.

Starks does need to stop jacking up threes though. He should focus on getting to the hoop, making free throws, and playing defense.
How many is enough? 13 scholarship spots. Unless you're a blue blood you can expect to fill maybe 10 of those spot with guys good enough and ready to contribute positively in a given season. Two each at the 1 through 5 spots seems like a pretty good balance
Aston04
AG
Even with an invited walkon should do better than Collins... Kid does his best for us, but seemingly can't shoot in a game. Other years I seem to remember we haven't filled all of our scholarship spots (not sure about this year).
Double Diamond
Plenty of teams don't have shooters. You find other ways to win.
Agnzona
Alex Caruso became a better shooter in the NBA than in college. That never happens and just shows how flawed BK is.
Method Man
When is the last time Ags hit three 3s in a row?
moriarty90
AG
I just reviewed the schedule. We don't have game six sec wins on the schedule. We have NO home field advatange under Bk. He is just not into the game once the ball is tipped. The other coach was substituting - coaching up players during my game - yelling at the refs - he wanted to win. You look at Bk and you couldn't tell if we are winning or losing. that's how a kid like Starks just say f it and starts shooting and doesn't care.
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Brandon Mahan was one of the best JUCO three point shooters in the nation if not the best last year, but Kennedy ran absolutely no action or screens to get him open looks from three against UC Irvine on Friday night. The coaching baffles me. We should be running 5 - 6 sets a game where Mahan taking an open three is the first option.
rosco511
AG
Haha, BK running a set to take advantage of strengths or opponent weaknesses...next time I see it will be the first time.
Jumbo Fister
AG
rosco511 said:

Haha, BK running a set to take advantage of strengths or opponent weaknesses...next time I see it will be the first time.

I loved how incredulous the commentators at the NBA draft were when they discussed the amount of times we used RW in the PnR
Expert Analysis
AG
Ag1865 said:

Brandon Mahan was one of the best JUCO three point shooters in the nation if not the best last year, but Kennedy ran absolutely no action or screens to get him open looks from three against UC Irvine on Friday night. The coaching baffles me. We should be running 5 - 6 sets a game where Mahan taking an open three is the first option.

We do not run any set plays. We do not use time outs to setup plays. We didn't use a single timeout in the 2nd half of a game we blew a double digit lead with under 10 to play.
bobinator
AG
Jumbo Fister said:

I loved how incredulous the commentators at the NBA draft were when they discussed the amount of times we used RW in the PnR
This whole thing annoys me, because there are perfectly good reasons why we didn't use Williams in a lot of pick and rolls. That 'narrative' has really gone way above and beyond.

But not finding ways to get Mahan open kind of blew my mind as well. Threes are like his whole thing and against that zone it wouldn't have even been very hard to get him looks. It's not like we needed to run some kind of complicated half court set or anything.

But we can break down all the x's and o's and things we should have done all we want, our guys had a lot of open looks on Friday and have to knock them down. Collins still looks like he has no confidence that his shot is going to go in, Flagg had a ton of open looks but was doing weird things with his feet half the time.

We don't have to be a great shooting team, but if a team is going to give you that many looks you at least have to be average. With our personnel there's no way to scheme ourselves out of not being able to hit threes this season. Against a team like UCI we should have found another way to win, but as the season goes on we're going to have to hit those or we're absolutely screwed.
Expert Analysis
AG
bobinator said:

we're absolutely screwed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.