JJ Caldwell going pro

6,595 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
suburban cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best of luck.

Gladiator-91
AG
His NBA career will be as long as mine.
bobinator
AG
PatAg
AG
he has the physical tools, I think. We'll see if this was a big enough wakeup call for the guy, maybe get some real coaching in the g league
CactusThomas
AG
Wow
Rick Flex
AG
Pro what?
Hop
Staff
AG
If Fabyon Harris is still earning a paycheck playing this game, so can Caldwell.
Bassmaster
AG
Fabyon Harris showed that he was a much better player than Caldwell. Caldwell never showed anything. All we have are the stories of his domination from his red-shirt year.
Method Man
This.^ Fabyon is also driven and focused.
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

This.^ Fabyon is also driven and focused.
Well certainly, he'll need to act like a professional. I'm just saying it isn't as crazy as other posters are suggesting. It isn't a big stretch for just about any P5 scholarship player to make a living playing basketball across the globe. Not saying they will get rich, but many make a living at it. Nate Walkup made a decent amount of money being a professional basketball player. Caldwell has the natural skill set to make a living, and at his age it's probably the best decision for him.
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

If Fabyon Harris is still earning a paycheck playing this game, so can Caldwell.
spot on.
GrayMatter
AG
We sure have a lot of groundhogs around here.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Wow - I forgot all about Fabyon Harris. I'll always pull for that guy. Glad to hear he's still playing.
txjortsagent
AG
Fabyon had the ugliest three I have ever seen. And I've seen Marlon throw up a few.
agcrock2005
LawHall88
AG
Another case in point:

Aston04
AG
LawHall88 said:

Another case in point:

Davis is a far superior player than Harris or Caldwell. Of course Davis is making bucks playing ball.
expresswrittenconsent
Davis had a 30/20 here and was a very good 4 yr player. There was never any doubt he could make a living overseas if he wanted.
AggieTFA06
AG
Prediction: JJ Caldwell successfully goes pro... in China!
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Method Man
This young man has had a tough life. I hope he does well.
GE
AG
I hope so too
AgsNguyen
AG
It does not specify what exactly he is going pro in. Maybe this dude put in an application to work for fedex.
monarch
S
Do we have anybody left on the roster?
Peace for Ukraine!
claym711
AG
Another year in the BK turnover stakes.
TMartin
I wish JJ well but these projects that Kennedy devotes so much time and resources to just don't seem to be worth the effort for a team trying to build an SEC program.
MidTnAg
AG
Method Man said:

This young man has had a tough life. I hope he does well.
This is really weird.
He may have had a tough life, but turning his back on a college education is the stupidest decision he has made so far in his life. One that he will soon sincerely and severely regret.
Who in the hell is he getting his advice from? I assume it is no one who cares anything about him.
Pumpkinhead
AG
TMartin said:

I wish JJ well but these projects that Kennedy devotes so much time and resources to just don't seem to be worth the effort for a team trying to build an SEC program.
There are literally hundreds of guys who don't pan out at schools across the country every year. Here is a list of current transfers in 2018 to date: 628 D1 players are changing their location. That's 628 players right there that somebody spent time/effort recruiting who ended moved on to another place.

That's an average now creeping closer and closer each year to 2 players per D1 program transferring out.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018

That said, obviously guys like Caldwell who were highly rated and 'hyped' for such a significant amount of time are a much bigger disappointment than some average 3-star kid who didn't pan out. At least some of us (I know I was one) got really excited about this kid, but who turned out to be a bust. From everything I read, Caldwell is legitimately talented, which no doubt was a major reason why the staff stuck with him. Had he been some regular recruit, they'd have probably moved on much faster. Unfortunately, the kid apparently never could get his act together.

Method Man
Some people aren't college material. It's a miracle he got accepted into any university as far as I can tell.
TMartin
Pumpkinhead said:

TMartin said:

There are literally hundreds of guys who don't pan out at schools across the country every year. Here is a list of current transfers in 2018 to date: 628 D1 players are changing their location. That's 628 players right there that somebody spent time/effort recruiting who ended moved on to another place.

That's an average now creeping closer and closer each year to 2 players per D1 program transferring out.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018

That said, obviously guys like Caldwell who were highly rated and 'hyped' for such a significant amount of time are a much bigger disappointment than some average 3-star kid who didn't pan out. At least some of us (I know I was one) got really excited about this kid, but who turned out to be a bust. From everything I read, Caldwell is legitimately talented, which no doubt was a major reason why the staff stuck with him. Had he been some regular recruit, they'd have probably moved on much faster. Unfortunately, the kid apparently never could get his act together.

I get what you're saying but when I finally saw the kid play I was underwhelmed. Transfers are actually the way Kennedy is sustaining the A&M program so I'm good with that part.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

Transfers are actually the way Kennedy is sustaining the A&M program so I'm good with that part.
This seems like a major overstatement. Danuel and Jalen (along with Collins) were invaluable transfers that made the SEC championship and first Sweet 16 a reality, but we've had nothing close to that impact in the two seasons since they left. Duane Wilson's year here is a really inspirational story, but it's somewhat of a footnote regarding last season. And the JC Hampton transfer ended up not filling the void at PG, which was a major reason we watched March Madness from home that year.

The transfers have helped at times to differing extents, but I don't see it as being a common theme that explains our success. Or I guess it explains some of our success, but I don't see it as a method of "sustaining" the strength of the program.
GE
AG
wacarnolds said:

Quote:

Transfers are actually the way Kennedy is sustaining the A&M program so I'm good with that part.
This seems like a major overstatement. Danuel and Jalen (along with Collins) were invaluable transfers that made the SEC championship and first Sweet 16 a reality, but we've had nothing close to that impact in the two seasons since they left. Duane Wilson's year here is a really inspirational story, but it's somewhat of a footnote regarding last season. And the JC Hampton transfer ended up not filling the void at PG, which was a major reason we watched March Madness from home that year.

The transfers have helped at times to differing extents, but I don't see it as being a common theme that explains our success. Or I guess it explains some of our success, but I don't see it as a method of "sustaining" the strength of the program.
Agree. They have helped mightily, especially House and Jones, but the core of the team has been guys from HS. Even this year the core is going to be Gilder and the sophomores
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Quote:

Obviously transfers were a huge part of the 2015-2016 Sweet Sixteen/SEC Championship team, given that three of the five starters were transfers. And House and Jalen Jones in particular played a huge role in their two seasons here to help bring the program back from the dead.

If goes without saying that A&M absolutely will stink next season if the staff hasn't hit the lottery on a bunch of JUCO's and transfers, which doesn't give one a bunch of confidence while waiting this off-season.
rojack
AG
God luck for great career. Hope you remain an Aggie after you leave CS.
Method Man
Transfers are currently sustaining the A&M b-ball program. Hard to argue.
DukeMu
Israeli league might be a good fit.

Euroball is guard oriented. If he had a better outside shot, I'd be pretty confident he could have a long Euro career. They'll be expecting his style of passing.

Best of luck, JJ.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.