Jalen Rose calling for players to boycott the NCAA tourney

6,604 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey good luck with that.
ClassOf17
Why? Because they can't get paid?

Boo ****ing ho
Gap
AG
Doesn't he host a show on ESPN - Jalen and Jacoby or something like that? Seems like an odd stance since his employer is in the business of showing NCAA basketball for profit.
Method Man
Yes. I get the argument, but why would I want to watch pros from A&M When I can watch far better pros?
Texas A&M
He's just jealous that kids these days are getting paid more under the table than him and his Fab 5 buddies.
Belton Ag
AG
One of the more annoying ESPN "personalities" and a huge reason I don't bother watching that channel anymore except for live sporting events.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Looks like our team was a few steps ahead of him.
Method Man
Bwahaha
LawHall88
AG
None of these players are "forced" to play college ball. Don't like the rules? Play overseas, or at the rec center.
Method Man
YES BUT THE NCAA IS MAKING MILLIONS!!!!!!!!

Uh, they will if you play or don't. The product is driven by people's love of amateur sports and a couple of stars that should prob be able to make money off royalties but I could argue against that as well. How much was Naji Hibbert worth to A&M? Net loss IMO.
Iowaggie
AG
LawHall88 said:

None of these players are "forced" to play college ball. Don't like the rules? Play overseas, or at the rec center.

They all could also play in the USA in the D-League (if drafted).

But given a choice between having millions watch you play at Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas, and having world class facilities to train and practice, and playing in front of hundreds in various D-League cities, they chose what most of us would choose - get treated like superstars at college for a year or 3.

Most would not get drafted.
GoAgs92
AG
The influence of hot college coeds cant be ignored.
Deputy Travis Junior
Paying players
rwtxag83
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Paying players
Paying players
Greater love hath no man than this....
monarch
S
Screw Jalen Rose. Idiot people make idiot statements, don't they?
Peace for Ukraine!
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, guys like Rose don't realize that schools are going to make millions regardless of what name is on the back of the jersey.

Players NEED college ball WAY more than college balls needs a Jalen Rose.
Deputy Travis Junior
rwtxag83 said:

Paying players
Paying players

God forbid they get to share in the billions of dollars they help generate.
basic8
basic8
Method Man said:

Hey good luck with that.
Be great if that group of top players who feel slighted did boycott. Then we could get back to basketball. Such a ****** bag statement from a guy who never got college athletics. Their are thousands of college athletes who are glad to have the opportunity.

Good for him that he was a pro and gamed the college system. He has no use for the other 99%. But hey, it's about the kids.
Aggie
AG
Another ESPN idiot

Why in today's world are people hell bent on changing things that have worked for decades and decades
rwtxag83
AG

rwtxag83 said:

Paying players
Paying players

They do. They get a free education, room and board, and myriad other benefits. Most students go into debt for as much as decades to get a FRACTION of what these guys get. There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of kids who compete for these scholarships--completely voluntarily. Nobody holds a gun to their head.

How many of our players would even be admitted to A&M if not for hoops scholly? Same way with most of over 300 schools. Most of them couldn't even pay their way through in debt even if they wanted to.

You do not have to do this. If you think you are that good, just go straight to Europe or China and see what you are worth.

Far too many people fall into the trap of thinking it's not a fair trade.

Even if they did get paid, it would never be enough. They'd always want more.

Leave things the way they are, but clean it up and get back to what it was meant to be.
_lefraud_
AG
Aggie said:

Another ESPN idiot

Why in today's world are people hell bent on changing things that have worked for decades and decades
He's trying to stay relevant, he wants to be "special" but in another 20 years, no one will remember who him or the fab 5 outside of a few college basketball enthusiasts.
Method Man
Nevermind the nutrition, personal training, skill development (varies) and most understated...exposure. Nevermind that most of them are a net loss.
rwtxag83
AG
Method Man said:

Nevermind the nutrition, personal training, skill development (varies) and most understated...exposure. Nevermind that most of them are a net loss.
Exactly!

If it is such an all fired horrible rip off exploitation deal, why are so many kids doing it?
Deputy Travis Junior
Quote:

They do. They get a free education, room and board, and myriad other benefits. Most students go into debt for as much as decades to get a FRACTION of what these guys get. There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of kids who compete for these scholarships--completely voluntarily.
Communist dreck. The market values for some of these guys are far higher than the values of their scholarship packages.

Quote:

Nobody holds a gun to their head.
The NCAA is a monopoly; there aren't really alternatives (though foreign ball is finally starting to emerge as one).
RangerRick9211
AG
rwtxag83 said:

rwtxag83 said:

Paying players
Paying players

They do. They get a free education, room and board, and myriad other benefits. Most students go into debt for as much as decades to get a FRACTION of what these guys get. There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of kids who compete for these scholarships--completely voluntarily. Nobody holds a gun to their head.

How many of our players would even be admitted to A&M if not for hoops scholly? Same way with most of over 300 schools. Most of them couldn't even pay their way through in debt even if they wanted to.

You do not have to do this. If you think you are that good, just go straight to Europe or China and see what you are worth.

Far too many people fall into the trap of thinking it's not a fair trade.

Even if they did get paid, it would never be enough. They'd always want more.

Leave things the way they are, but clean it up and get back to what it was meant to be.
Some get a full scholarship, not all. And the cost of the scholarship is nothing compared to the revenues created from football and basketball. NFL and NBA coaches are similarly paid to their collegiate equals. College athletes get whatever the value of a full-ride is, $50k-$100k, over four years. Kennedy's base pay in the same time frame is 20x that. It's the inverse in the NBA - players make 2-3-4-5x their coaches. Coaches have value - but the athletes will always produce more.

I don't have a problem with athletes capitalizing on themselves. Especially in football. There's physical risk involved and they should be able benefit while they can. Especially things like autographs, sponsorship, and paraphernalia. I'm even pro boosters stuffing recruits with money or other things. As long as it isn't a school employee; the NCAA should have no say in two private citizens exchanging goods for services. Yeah, I know. That means only the rich will compete. As if that's not already the paradigm in both football and basketball.
Hickory High
AG
FYI Jalen Rose is not an idiot just because you disagree with him. Jalen is one of the best in the biz, period.
94chem
Still sad that he didn't take the ball from Webber.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Hickory High said:

FYI Jalen Rose is not an idiot just because you disagree with him. Jalen is one of the best in the biz, period.
Would not think being the best idiot in the biz would be an attribute but if you say so, I agree with you,
Method Man
Hickory High said:

I don't think he's an idiot but he has a ton of awful takes.
rwtxag83
AG

Quote:

They do. They get a free education, room and board, and myriad other benefits. Most students go into debt for as much as decades to get a FRACTION of what these guys get. There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of kids who compete for these scholarships--completely voluntarily.
Communist dreck. The market values for some of these guys are far higher than the values of their scholarship packages.

Quote:

The NCAA is a monopoly; there aren't really alternatives (though foreign ball is finally starting to emerge as one).
Maybe some kids do think their market value is higher. Answer? Hit the frickin road! Go get paid somewhere! The NCAA is NOT a monopoly. There are professional outlets all around the world. Foreign ball isn't just 'finally starting to emerge'; it's been around for many years.

If their market value is truly that high, you'd see more guys exercising it regularly. Instead, you see the opposite. Most of them stay in school taking advantage of a very sweet gig, getting an education, skill development, and maturity. The system is set up to benefit the kids, the league and the schools, and it works. The fact that cheating exists doesn't mean the system isn't good.

Again, NOBODY is holding a gun to their head. It is completely voluntary. Completely voluntary. If they want to get paid, they can leave anytime they want.

Communist dreck my asse.
CactusThomas
AG
I like the halftime show with Rose, CB and the Truth. I think he does a great job over at ESPN. But he's a fool to encourage a boycott like this.
PatAg
AG

Quote:

Quote:

To me, that is the issue here. SOME of the players are absolutely worth paying. Then there are the other 80% or so of the college athletes. Do you pay them all equally? How would you decide what rates to pay which players.
Deputy Travis Junior
I can't give you an exact solution, but I think variable payments would have to be part of it. I did some club sports at A&M and while the university gave us some money (usually gas and vans when we traveled for competition) we paid for a lot of stuff ourselves. Which I think is fair because very few people were willing to pay to watch us (sorry star soccer player, but you aren't going to make what the starting QB does).

The injuries are a big thing for me. For example, Ryan Swope was absolutely talented enough for the NFL, yet he ate a bunch of concussions and was never able to earn a dime on his value. Meanwhile, the coaches, athletic directors, and NCAA administrators made millions. That's bull*****
pfo
AG
Jalen Rose is a dumbass who got into Michigan because of his basketball skills and not his hard work in the classroom.

College basketball is popular and profitable becsuse of the former students/alumni's love of the school, state pride and the love of amateur sports. If special admissions for athletes were eliminated altogether, then college basketball would still be popular and profitable.

And if the Fab 5 played on the street and not at Michigan, nobody would have paid to watch them or would even know who they were. To do his day they would be known at the dead broke 5!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.