The situation where Flagg came in to shoot free throws for Hogg

1,806 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GE
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this has been a rule that's changed so many times that I'm not even sure what the rule is anymore, so maybe someone else can clear this up.

So, a long time ago, if you had a player get hurt and couldn't shoot free throws, you could choose anyone on your team to shoot them. (If this were the case we would have presumably picked Wilson, who was on the floor)

Then a while back that changed to the opposing coach gets to pick, but he can only pick from people on the floor. (He would have presumably picked Williams)

The only thing I can think of is that the rule now is that we get to pick, but it has to be someone off the bench. That's the only situation I can think of why Flagg would have taken those free throws, and even that seems iffy, was he really the best free throw shooter on the bench?
TyperWoods
Commentators said Ole Miss would pick, except since blood was involved, Kennedy got to pick.

Not sure why not Gilder, unless it had to be whoever came in.

CypressAg09
AG
TyperWoods said:

Commentators said Ole Miss would pick, except since blood was involved, Kennedy got to pick.

They later clarified that it had to be someone on the bench.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I guess it could be whoever you're going to sub in has to shoot them which would have taken Wilson and Gilder off the board, but you'd think we'd sub in whoever the best free throw shooter on the bench is (even if we immediately subbed them back out.)

And maybe Flagg is a lights out free throw shooter in practice or something, I'm just curious on what that actual rule is now.

Aggie1205
AG
CypressAg09 said:

TyperWoods said:

They later clarified that it had to be someone on the bench.

Cypress is correct, the announcers later corrected to say that it had to be someone from the bench. Flagg was set to come in anyway and I guess Kennedy didn't want to bring someone in just to shoot Fts. Flagg was a 67% shooter on the year. Maybe Kennedy thought that would give him an opportunity to shoot with some pressure to see how he responded. Didn't work out.
Ags2013
AG
Sadly I doubt we had a better option. We are an awful free throw shooting team. Maybe Collins shoots them well?
Wicked Good Ag
Once you sub someone in they must play while time comes off the clock. So presumably you want someone who can play at least a couple of minutes without knowing how long Hogg would have been out. Flagg to me was the correct choice. Sucks that he missed both but should have statistically made one of them. Maybe Chandler if he wasn't in the game could have been a option.
bobinator
AG
He wasn't already set to come in, Trocha was at the scorer's table but Flagg was still on the bench. I guess Kennedy picked him as a straight sub and it's not like we had any absolute ringers from the line on the bench or anything.

I was just trying to figure out what exactly was going on there, one of those times where it was more confusing to actually be at the game.
Wicked Good Ag
Trocha was coming in for Williams at the time
Aston04
AG
Ags2013 said:

Sadly I doubt we had a better option. We are an awful free throw shooting team. Maybe Collins shoots them well?
In the limited shots he has gotten, he has been mediocre at best at free throws.

Why can't BK recruit someone from the rec who can step in shoot free throws? Yes, I know bright lights, blah blah blah... Surely there are at least 10 kids on campus who could shoot free throws around 80% when subbed in cold. And of course that's the sort of thing you work out in non-conference if he is reliable or not.
bobinator
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Yeah, he doesn't really have anything to do with this other than I was just pointing out that he was the only player "set to come in." It's not like Flagg was already at the table about to check in for Hogg or anything.

I have no issue with bringing in Flagg (again, especially because Gilder and Wilson were already on the floor,) so this wasn't a "WHAT IS KENNEDY THINKING" post, I was just trying to figure out what exactly was going on there.
Wicked Good Ag
Because then that "rec guy" has to play in the game for some time. All for a better percentage by say 13%.
Doesn't make sense. Sucks he missed both but he was correct choice of options
Aggie1205
AG
Aston04 said:

Ags2013 said:

In the limited shots he has gotten, he has mediocre at best at free throws.

Why can't BK recruit someone from the rec who can step in shoot free throws? Yes, I know bright lights, blah blah blah... Surely there are at least 10 kids on campus who could shoot free throws around 80% when subbed in cold. And of course that's the sort of thing you work out in non-conference if he is reliable or not.

Wicked pointed out that if you bring them in for the free throws, they have to get time on the court too. Not sure we want a rec all star taking minutes.

And you keep trying to discount the pressure of shooting in a real game in front of thousands. Very few people can do that at 80%
Wicked Good Ag
bobinator said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Yeah, he doesn't really have anything to do with this other than I was just pointing out that he was the only player "set to come in." It's not like Flagg was already at the table about to check in for Hogg or anything.

I have no issue with bringing in Flagg (again, especially because Gilder and Wilson were already on the floor,) so this wasn't a "WHAT IS KENNEDY THINKING" post, I was just trying to figure out what exactly was going on there.

And I was just making the point that he was at the table for Williams but could have come in for Hogg and shot the free throws which doesn't really work either
Aston04
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Aston04 said:

Ags2013 said:

In the limited shots he has gotten, he has mediocre at best at free throws.

Wicked pointed out that if you bring them in for the free throws, they have to get time on the court too. Not sure we want a rec all star taking minutes.

And you keep trying to discount the pressure of shooting in a real game in front of thousands. Very few people can do that at 80%
again stuff you work out prior to a big conference game to see if he is good for it.

Question- Does he have to stay in if a timeout immediately follows? And why do we have some many scholarships guards on our roster we don't trust to shoot free throws?
Wicked Good Ag
Aston that makes no sense at all.
You want to put a non scholarship player in the floor at a meaningful time because they can shoot better by 13 percent over a guy that is a scholarship player when the rec guy has to then play
Wicked Good Ag
We could have put Starks in to shoot the free throws and then he could have played the minutes until Hogg came back but by then we might have had six extra shots but him
GE
AG
bobinator said:

He wasn't already set to come in, Trocha was at the scorer's table but Flagg was still on the bench. I guess Kennedy picked him as a straight sub and it's not like we had any absolute ringers from the line on the bench or anything.

I was just trying to figure out what exactly was going on there, one of those times where it was more confusing to actually be at the game.
Pretty simple in my mind. Whoever you brought in would have to play minutes since DJ had to leave the game. Tonny has not been good playing the 3 or good shooting FT's so he's out. Flagg would make the most sense as the overall replacement for DJ since he plays the same position and you don't know how long Hogg will be out of the game.

It almost comes down to do you put in your best FT shooter on the bench (Caldwell), have him shoot both, hope you get a defensive stop, and then call timeout to sub in the person you actually want, or do you just put in the person you would sub in for DJ normally and hope he makes them? If Gilder is on the bench the answer is obvious because he can play the three very well.

I'm not sure the differential in FT's between Flagg and anybody else on the bench is worth going through the trouble of trying to sort all that out if he is the person you want in the game to replace Hogg.

Edit: After re-reading this I think the best option would have been to sub Caldwell in and push Wilson to the 2 and Gilder to the 3 until the next stoppage, and then to bring in Starks for Caldwell.
Aston04
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Aston that makes no sense at all.
You want to put a non scholarship player in the floor at a meaningful time because they can shoot better by 13 percent over a guy that is a scholarship player when the rec guy has to then play
That may be true- but the lack of subs on this roster who can shoot free throws is a big problem. Hurt us bad against LSU (granted Wilson/Gilder were out, but we should be deep enough to have 4 reliable guys from the foul line)....
FTAG 2000
AG
It's really just another indictment of Kennedy. Scoring guards and shooting are king in college, and we have precious few of either.
EKG1996
AG
Flagg shot those two free throws so poorly it made It look like a poor decision especially when you had several guards sittting on the bench.

I personally would have had Caldwell or Starks take the free throws but not that big of deal to let Flagg.
StanGundy
There is plenty to pick apart as far as BK's coaching goes. This is just not one of them. Flagg had hit a 3 in the first half and finished off the half with a dunk. Both Flagg and the staff were likely feeling pretty confident with him going back into the game in this situation. I believe Hogg headed straight out the tunnel to the trainers area. Not knowing when he'd return, having Flagg shoot the FT's and then remain in the game was a pretty easy choice,
94chem
"Maybe Collins shoots them well?"

Racist? Career 55%...but I think he is 6/8 from the line this season.
jnocar
A lot of frees were missed.
Aggies won.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Seems silly to me that out of what happened in the game last night, this situation seems to be the biggest subject discussed over the last 24 hours.
Wicked Good Ag
EKG1996 said:

Flagg shot those two free throws so poorly it made It look like a poor decision especially when you had several guards sittting on the bench.

I personally would have had Caldwell or Starks take the free throws but not that big of deal to let Flagg.

Starks is worse from the line then Flagg and Caldwell is only five percent better. Add in the fact that Starks or Caldwell would leave you with Wilson Gilder Davis Trocha and Starks/Caldwell that to me is not a lineup I look forward to. Also for anyone saying we can then take a time out to sub them out quickly doesn't value time outs very much. Flagg was the correct choice. It didn't work out
GE
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Seems silly to me that out of what happened in the game last night, this situation seems to be the biggest subject discussed over the last 24 hours.
I think part of it is people are so fed up with the coaching that when something comes up that appears to be a clear and obvious amateur error they rush to crucify him.
Mikeyshooter
AG
I guess. And then show their asses in the process. Typical Texags. I bet the KU board knew the rule, right Bob?

expresswrittenconsent
Mikeyshooter said:

Did you forget to include the link to your thread discussing the many more important issues from the game?
bobinator
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

I guess. And then show their asses in the process. Typical Texags. I bet the KU board knew the rule, right Bob?

What? I asked a simple question because I didn't understand what happened, and it got answered. I even said it wasn't a criticism, just trying to figure it out.
GE
AG
bobinator said:

Mikeyshooter said:

What? I asked a simple question because I didn't understand what happened, and it got answered. I even said it wasn't a criticism, just trying to figure it out.
Probably referring to all the chatter last night and a thread on Premium where Kennedy got absolutely trashed because of the horrible decision to have Flagg shoot instead of Gilder or Wilson.
bobinator
AG
Sounds like the hoops talk on premium sucks
GE
AG
bobinator said:

Sounds like the hoops talk on premium sucks
Hard for a bball thread to gain traction but there are plenty of people who are plenty knowledgeable.
bobinator
AG
Ah, I don't know obviously, just heard a few people complain about it.
GE
AG
bobinator said:

Ah, I don't know obviously, just heard a few people complain about it.
Pony up Bob. Support local media.

In all honesty it isn't great but Logan's content has been good and there are a few very knowledgeable posters. Plus, some of Mhyaden and Hop's best battles to the death for internet points have occurred there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.