Kansas Basketball trip

4,185 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAggie2011
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flights on southwest to KC are now open

Cheap

Positive Yardage
AG
I'm definitely going to try to make the drive up from Wichita if the schedule and weather allows.
jml2621
We're going to win.

elcampopooch
Best suggestions on acquiring tickets??
greg.w.h
AG
elcampopooch said:

Best suggestions on acquiring tickets??

Yes: pay more than Jayhawks will...
Know Your Enemy
AG
Pretty sure we bought ours the last time we played right through the KU athletic department.
Fightin Ag491
Never been there, but heard it is an absolute spectacle of an environment, and is more impressive than most college football venues you have seen
Hop
Staff
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

Never been there, but heard it is an absolute spectacle of an environment, and is more impressive than most college football venues you have seen
I wouldn't go that far. I went there in 2006. It's a very fun, nostalgic environment but as far as venues I wouldn't say it's more impressive or even on par with college football venues.
bobinator
AG
It sort of depends on what you consider impressive as a venue. I think the fact that they get so many people in that little space is pretty impressive. The museum and stuff inside is pretty cool also.

But yeah it doesn't make you go "wow" when you walk in like a big football stadium or anything.

The environment is amazing though, especially if it's a good game. I was there in 2007 and it was crazy. In 2012 it wasn't as good because we sucked, but it was still cool.
Serious Lee
i seem to remember turgeon or one of the coaches talking about our team being basically hypnotized by whatever intro video they play along with the rock chalk chant.
West Point Aggie
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

LOL
CapCityAg89
AG
I'm going to try to get down there. I've been told by a KU alum that stubhub will be good - 200 for a good seat.

I've been to three "premium" facilities - Cameron, Assembly Hall and Dean Dome. Cameron was really the only "wow" to see for me. Basketball facilities are just not terribly impressive.

Short story: when I got to IU for grad school, I went by assembly hall to just walk around - I took a "wrong" turn, went through a double door and walked out onto the court. That was actually a pretty wow moment. Walking into the games was much less impressive.
jml2621
CapCityAg89 said:

I'm going to try to get down there. I've been told by a KU alum that stubhub will be good - 200 for a good seat.

I've been to three "premium" facilities - Cameron, Assembly Hall and Dean Dome. Cameron was really the only "wow" to see for me. Basketball facilities are just not terribly impressive.

Short story: when I got to IU for grad school, I went by assembly hall to just walk around - I took a "wrong" turn, went through a double door and walked out onto the court. That was actually a pretty wow moment. Walking into the games was much less impressive.

That's how I found Assembly Hall. You're just walking down a regular classroom-type hall, take the wrong left and BOOM - there it is.

Cameron is a jewel. Intimate, and now polished, yet classic. Students no longer surround the entire court, so it is not as loud as 20 or 30 years ago, but the immediacy of the feel and noise are amazing. CIS's acoustics were tuned for Ella Fitzgerald back in the Day. 9314 great seats - only the announcers in the crow's nest have a less than ideal seat! lol

Carmichael was a tin can, but the Dean Dome is very nice, maybe too expansive, and the students are on part of a side.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

i seem to remember turgeon or one of the coaches talking about our team being basically hypnotized by whatever intro video they play along with the rock chalk chant.
Did he mention anything about our lack of crowds at home and cried that we were not a basketball school? Asking for a friend.
Craigy
I'd be interested in a carpool pool if anyone wants to roadtrip.I live in North Texas . My email is craigedmonds11@yahoo.com
Topher17
AG
Booked flights up to KC last week and will probably book a place to stay this week. Anyone know how early we should plan on buying tickets?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Tickets are just stupid high right now on stubhub
mgmgrand
AG
Me and a few buddies will be making the trip. Wanted to pass along info on the GA tickets (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - GA tickets are for the same sections as student tickets, and students are let in the arena before GA. We are trying to avoid GA. Agree with Ryno though, ticket prices are up there with Astros-Yanks Game 7
Topher17
AG
They're very expensive currently. I was curious if we should expect those to come down, or if they'll continue to rise as long as we're both playing good basketball?
TXAggie2011
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Fightin Ag491 said:

LOL
They're just different and I don't think comparing them means much. I feel like that's a very A&M/Texas/Southern thing to do and has something to do with our own lack of giving a **** about basketball.

Football stadiums are on a different scale--they're just much larger facilities---but otherwise, what is so inherently special?

College basketball facilities have history, tradition, bands, cheerleaders, and whatever else you can find at a college football game except the crowd won't be as large.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.