Xavier

2,472 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TMartin
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How do these guys consistently hire good coaches and have good teams?
Matsui
AG
They don't have football and their admin and school is 100% committed to basketball. And the midwest is huge into basketball.
Method Man
Good point. Is caring and having knowledgeable people all that matters?
TXAggie2011
AG
Matsui said:

They don't have football and their admin and school is 100% committed to basketball. And the midwest is huge into basketball.

They're better than many schools in the same circumstances.

And really, no matter how devoted you are to anything it doesn't mean you're just going to get coaches every time that win a lot of games.

Prettt impressive what they do, and who knows how they seem to always make a great hire.
TXAggie2011
AG
Method Man said:

Good point. Is caring and having knowledgeable people all that matters?

You can care all you want. Doesn't mean much. See: Texas A&M football.

Knowledge is very important.

Still takes something pretty special to hire the right coaches time after time after time.
Method Man
I'm impressed with how much they get out of lowly ranked players. Either great Evals or great development.
Matsui
AG
We don't have competent people in admin for Aggie football. We rather hire good ole Aggie buddies. We are committed to 8-4.

I digress.

X is in cincy and have a huge talent pool in the midwest. They are committed to winning and spend like it. We skimp on coaches. They don't.
jja79
AG
They've been to the Sweet 16 seven times since 2000. Twice to the Elite 8 in that time. They're a high level basketball program.
Method Man
Yes but they're not in a major conference or get super stud players. Love them, WSU, Dayton and butler.
wacarnolds
AG
Method Man said:

I mentioned this in another thread.

They have 25 NCAA appearances in last 32 years. Their last 5 coaches are Pete Gillen, Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, Sean Miller, Chris Mack. How many schools can say they nailed 5 straight hires?
GE
AG
Forget Xavier. How do we get someone like Trier
Method Man
Be a blue blood that recruits players that want to win championships.
wacarnolds
AG
Method Man said:

I'm impressed with how much they get out of lowly ranked players. Either great Evals or great development.

Method Man said:

Yes but they're not in a major conference or get super stud players. Love them, WSU, Dayton and butler.

Not to go all Gulf of Mexico theory, but I'd be willing to bet $1 that a majority of these teams players are not from the south.
Method Man
Jeebus was that kook right?
Method Man
GE said:

Go pick his ass up off the floor.
wacarnolds
AG
AG 2000' said:

If the AD was smart, they'd show up at Mack's doorstep with a blank check and ask him to name his price.

But they'd rather go to church and bible study with Kennedy.

We won't get the opportunity to find out, but it would be fascinating to see what affect our roster would have on a coaching search. Or how much money we would pay for a new guy.
Aggie09Derek
AG
GE said:

Be a blue blood like Zona that gets 5 star players at will. Since 2012 they have gotten 11 5 star players committed (a couple never made it to campus however).
jml2621
Matsui said:

The Marquette excuse.

I'd hire Mack in a nanosecond...but our AD sez PATIENCE...after 5 years of Sumlin and 6 years of BK...lulz
jml2621
AG 2000' said:

If the AD was smart, they'd show up at Mack's doorstep with a blank check and ask him to name his price.

But they'd rather go to church and bible study with Kennedy.

T2P
FTAG 2000
AG
In eight years, Mack has three Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 (in progress).

Strangely, he hasn't made excuses every year like our resident nice guy.
Pumpkinhead
AG
So if Alford does not go to Indiana is Mack likely Plan B for them?

Mack has turned down offers from average P5 schools before. very skeptical a school like A&M would interest him. But Indiana job is a high level hoops job.
TangoMike
Pumpkinhead said:

So if Alford does not go to Indiana is Mack likely Plan B for them?

Mack has turned down offers from average P5 schools before. very skeptical a school like A&M would interest him. But Indiana job is a high level hoops job.

I'll be very surprised if Mack leaves. He's a lifetime X-Man. That doesn't always mean anything, but his roots are solid there. And I'm not sure Indiana is a tier 1 job anymore. They've been wandering in the mid-tier wilderness for a long time
Matsui
AG
I'd be willing to bet he is getting paid well at x.

Middle level teams in power 5 conferences are a step down compared to x
MarcAg
AG
You guys realize Xavier lost their starting backcourt and still has made the elite 8. A mid major has enough debt that they can overcome that but yet Kennedy loses a freshman PG before the season and people are like "How can we except him to succeed now without Caldwell?"
Double Diamond
Doesn't have a point guard and doesn't have starting back court. Didn't know you could win when this happens.
hoya-ag
AG
I doubt Mack will leave. He is from Cincinnati, played at Xavier, and coached under Miller. A guy I work with went to Xavier (actually roomed on the same floor as Mack) and he worries about them hiring another good coach if Mack left because of what Method said. They are just due to miss on a hire at some point.
Tobias Funke
AG
Living in Cincinnati, there is certainly just a different feel to college basketball in these parts. EVERYONE is beaten down by the dominance of OSU football, and so there is just a solid commitment to being great at basketball as you head south all the way down to Lexington and Louisville (just about 200 miles)

I've attended the Coaches vs Cancer event the last 4 years here. Having Mack, Cronin, and rotating coaches from Wright State, Dayton, Miami, and NKU up on stage together, you can just feel an intensity and drive around basketball that I never really saw anywhere in Texas (besides our brief tango with BCG).

Another big component is the catholic school system here in Cincinnati. Very very competitive in basketball and football, and produces a lot of good players in both.
aggiebrad94
AG
AG2000 - Do you think much before you hit the "Post" button?

Quote:

If the AD was smart, they'd show up at Mack's doorstep with a blank check
If our AD showed up anywhere with a blank check, he should be fired on the spot. What successful school ever "blank chequed" their way to a title?

Second, how many press conferences for Mack have you listened to? How do you know he hasn't ever thrown his players, school, or administrators under the bus?
W
AG
agree 100%
rlb28
AG
Method Man said:

Villanova
wacarnolds
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

If our AD showed up anywhere with a blank check, he should be fired on the spot. What successful school ever "blank chequed" their way to a title?
Kentucky basketball, when they hired Cal.
Alabama football, when they hired Saban.
Ohio State football, when they hired Urban
Auburn football, when they hired Cam Newton.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Double Diamond said:

Doesn't have a point guard and doesn't have starting back court. Didn't know you could win when this happens.
IMO, Mack is a better basketball coach than any coach who has ever been at A&M, including Gillispie.

The only current SEC coach that I would pick over Mack is Calipari (because of Cal's ridiculous recruiting abilities).
CalAggie
Matsui said:

Would agree with this. I went to Dayton to see UC Davis play in the First Four. There was a respectable crowd for the game and a large majority of them were in Dayton gear. Clearly a very invested fan base and one that I assume is similar to Xavier.
FTAG 2000
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Second, how many press conferences for Mack have you listened to? How do you know he hasn't ever thrown his players, school, or administrators under the bus?

I've seen several. He's pretty no nonsense. A bit like BCG, tells it like it is, but not a whiner and not a mumbler. Like our guy.

JJxvi
AG
Method Man said:

WTF? Not in a major conference? Seriously?

They are in a seven bid league, that got a 1 seed with a 4, a 6, a 9, a 10 and two 11s
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.