LeBron or Carmelo

489 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 21 yr ago by
ba05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assuming that Carmelo goes into the draft, which one should go first? I thought all along that it would be LeBron, but this tournament has shown that Anthony can play.
Deltron3030
Easy. Lebron. That kid is a monster.

A better argument would be who would you take? Carmelo or Amare? Both came out of high school the same year. Both were projected as entering the draft. One did. One didn't. Does college make a difference?
Orbit
I think Carmelo has more of an ability to make an impact next year, due to his experience taking on harder competition, being relied on by his teamates, and leading his team to a national championship game, not to mention the longer schedule he is used to from playing in college. I think he also has more upside as far as physical development. His shot is A LOT better than LaBron's at this stage, and his offensive game is more diverse than just playing above the rim against high schoolers.

I don't know that Carmelo will in the end be better than LaBron because LaBron is more athletic and still has a lot of ways to improve offensively (his shot, post moves, etc.). Either one of these guys is a great place to start putting together a franchise.

[This message has been edited by Orbit (edited 4/7/2003 4:46p).]
halfastros81
AG
Texas had no answer for Anthony. Nobody came close to stopping him.

I have not seen James play but I have more confidence in a guy that can't be stopped in the NCAA Final Four than a guy that can't be stopped at the Ohio High School level.

Of course the NBA teams get to see these guys up close and personnel, but site unseen I would lean toward Anthony.
Deltron3030
Lebron's team isn't your average high school team that plays the kids that live across the county. They travel and play the best teams in America. Lebron put it on Oak Hill (Carmelo's hs team) this year on national television. These high school teams are the equivalent of crappy to average college squads. They're filled with D1 recruits. Carmelo is more polished. But I don't think I could pass on Lebron. 6-8, 240, and still growing. The kid is a beast.
LonghornCorley
Lebron seems to be a better passer. He does remind one of a young Magic Johnson out there. Carmelo had a great game against Texas, to be sure. I would probably take Lebron if I had to pick one. It is going to be fun to see what he looks like in 3-4 years.
94 Aggie
Just say no to High School players in the NBA.

RAB91
Carmelo
dubag
If Lebron was in college he'd lead his team to a national championship his freshman year also.
watty
AG
Everyone seems to be jumping on the Carmelo bandwagon, and he has proven to be worthy of a lot of praise, but there's a reason that NBA types were saying that LeBron would have been the top pick after his JUNIOR season of high school. He was a man among boys in the McDonald's game. So I'd take LeBron.
Ag Natural
AG
Last year, Amare was a late first-round pick and he was supposed to be better than Anthony.

This year, we're wondering if Anthony should be the 1st pick.

Now, ask yourself, does college matter? I'd say Anthony will be laughing all the way to the bank on this decision to "stay in school" one more year.
NyAggie
AG
is it a given that Carmelo is going to the NBA now that Syracuse won the NC?
mm98
AG
This question really depends on who has the first pick in the draft.

LeBron can play the 1,2, or 3 and is considered to be a point forward. Hell, if he keeps growing he could even play the 4 if needed. Carmelo is more of a true 3.

I think Carmelo is more suited to make an immediate impact. Besides the physical aspect of college competition, one year of being on your own will help him dramtically. I know LeBron does much more traveling than the average HS kid, but it really doesn't compare to college.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.