Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Just Bought an Old Country Pecos Smoker

1,201 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Dalhousietrio
Kentucky Jeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've "smoked" meats in my charcoal grill for years just using indirect heat by means of just setting up a heat deflector. I'll typically just use charcoal to smoke.

My question to the seasoned veterans on offset smokers is do you guys typically just use wood to smoke meats? And are you supposed to maintain a constant flame or more of a smoldering slow consumption of your fuel source?

Any other recommendations and pointers are greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road.
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never owned a stick burner, but I've read enough here and other places to see how they generally work.
For starters, you can definitely use charcoal to get the fire going. Lots of people do that. Then you can add logs to the fire to get your smoke and keep your heat going. Generally, you need a good amount of airflow to keep the wood burning. Smoldering wood gives off too much soot and other stuff that leads to dirty smoke, and will lend acrid flavors to the meat. What you're looking for is a steady stream of "blue" smoke coming out of the stack. It's going to take several dry runs of experimenting with how much air vs. how much wood to be using to get that, and maintain the proper temperature you want to cook at (If you can't stand burning wood just to burn wood, cook some pork butts to start. They're fine at a wide range of temperatures). The important part is a steady temperature, and every cooker has a different sweet spot that they will maintain temperature. A steady 260 is better than one that swings from 200 to 300 too often.
Once you have the temperature dialed in, do the toast or biscuit test. Get a loaf of cheap bread, or a couple cans of the cheapest biscuits, and put them on the grate. You'll need enough so that each piece of dough or bread is about 2" apart. Close the lid, and let it "bake" for about half an hour. That will tell you what part of your grill is hotter versus cooler. That's helpful to know if you want to cook multiple things where one can handle a higher temp.
Aaron Franklin and I think Bradley Robinson (@Chudsbbq on youtube) have some videos on fire management. Good luck in your new adventure, and ask plenty of questions.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice! An Old Country Pecos was my first smoker. I agree with Htown that you should never let it smolder. Keep a nice flame with blue smoke.

One thing I'd add: the smoke stack on those are a little short. Try adding some sort of stiff duct pipe to it to add length and get a better flow.
Kentucky Jeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I debated on the Pecos or an All Season Feeders 48x20 pit. I was all in on the ASF until I saw my shopping cost. I got the Pecos delivered for just over $100 and the ASF was going to cost me $450.
merlin403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I previously had an Old Country Pecos. The best advice I can provide is to keep your wood splits small for easier fire management.

The fire box isn't as large as a Mill Scale or many of the more expensive smokers.
dummble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Using a stick burner can get really expensive if you do not have an easy supply of wood as they are hungry.

I will start my fire with wood and charcoal to build up a bed, but you need to keep it fed, and there is a point around 4 hours in that the amount of wood you are feeding it is not enough to keep up the coal bed and you will need to fine tune the next few splits to not burn what's in the cooking area.

The wood you choose is also important because if you are buying wood from a store it is going to be kiln dried and burn much faster.

I have access to a lot of oak and mesquite and mesquite burns really hot and fast.

Get a kindling cracker and chop saw. Make sure on one bothers you during the cook. It is serious business.
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had a Pecos for years. I always start with a chimney full of lump, then kindling, then a single log to get things going. Then I'll lay other logs across strategically to get a slow burn. I keep a bag of wood chips handy so when I lose flame I toss some in, increase air flow or fan them and can quickly get re-ignition.

I appreciate that the Pecos has a heat shield between the firebox and cooking area, but I've found that the area closest to the box still gets too hot. So I usually wrap the first third or so with several layers of foil to protect the meat above. It also promotes more smoke circulation.

When I lived in Houston, I would drive around neighborhoods with big oaks during spring tree trimming time and get all the wood I needed for a lot of smokes. Just dried it out for a while and it was great. Now in Arkansas, there is an abundance of red and black oak -- I just have to get out in the woods and find it.
swampstander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely no smoldering. I have a home made stick burner. I start a good oak fire with a full fire box. Will take 8 or so pieces to do that. I let it burn down to coals then keep a small active fire going by feeding it smaller split pieces of whatever wood I want to smoke with. Cherry, hickory, more oak etc. I keep my fire box door open and regulate heat in the cooking chamber by adjusting the damper and exhaust vent. I can keep it going 18 to 20 hrs like that by tending to it every hour or so. I'll sleep when I'm dead I guess.
swampstander

Dalhousietrio
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I buy wood from this place. I believe the better wood the better cook

https://www.indianheadfirewood.com/?gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=14630514681&gbraid=0AAAAADtugGR2nYK89VJXx_tpdqybw8YnN&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIga_CmZ6elwMV-HJ_AB2tphRoEAAYASAAEgKqIvD_BwE
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.