Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Coffee/Espresso Brewing methods

2,499 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by FancyKetchup14
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drip, pour over, french press, percolator, moka pot, espresso machine etc etc etc

What's your favorite method and what is the technique you use?

Recently picked up a percolator and really like the coffee it produces. Wish my grinder could go a bit coarser than it has the ability to go. But with some make shift filters it keeps the grounds in the pot to a minimum.

God loves you so much He'll meet you where you are. He also loves you too much to allow to stay where you are.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We prefer a pour over.
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do french press for daily coffee drinking and a moka pot for espresso type drinks on the weekends and espresso martinis.
William Larue Weller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moccamaster during the week, Chemex on the weekend
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I measure our the weight of the coffee that I ground and I also measure the amount of water. I find my ratio 1:19 for my tasting preferences.
Slicer97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Conical burr grinder
French press
Electric kettle

Eyeball the amounts, add a pinch of salt, and brew for 4 minutes with just-shy-of-boiling water and it generally seems to work out.
spud1910
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use a Bialetti Moka pot now. I use a Bodum grinder and the amount of beans it recommends for a triple espresso. I also really like my grandmother's electric percolator but she got it in the 60s or 70s so I don't use it a lot anymore.
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bialetti 6 cup espresso maker
Blonde beans (yes, username checks out)
Espresso ground selection or Turkish (warning on Turkish)
Microwave water for 2 mins
Place Bialetti on mid fire
Keep lid raised
Turn down heat once it starts to fill to low heat
Once its almost done filling, close lid to prevent spewing
Turn up heat to high for 20-30 secs to finish remaining water

Use organic milk
Raw sugar or brown sugar
Vanilla extract, cake batter extract

Ive made all sorts of flavors to include a chocolate/peanut butter
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Drip, pour over, french press, percolator, moka pot, espresso machine etc etc etc

What's your favorite method and what is the technique you use?

Recently picked up a percolator and really like the coffee it produces. Wish my grinder could go a bit coarser than it has the ability to go. But with some make shift filters it keeps the grounds in the pot to a minimum.




So that depends on the house I am at. In Central Texas I use a chemex. I believe the slow pourover produces smooth coffee.

In Nola, we have an ECM Profusion espresso maker. Every drink starts with espresso there. Lattes, Capocinos, whatever. Starts with espresso.
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kalita wave dripper is my preferred method, but I often use a V60. Depends what beans I am brewing. Hand-grind always.

For any pour over I do a 19-gram coffee to 300 ml water ratio. 30-second bloom with 50 mls water. Then two 100 ml pours followed by a final 50 ml pour.
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?


I bought this at Sprouts. Two for the price of one. I tried it this morning mixing one scoop with both water and milk mixture. It doesnt taste as good as traditional coffee but it does provide a good coffee buzz. I poured it over ice
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This isn't directed at you, but man the protein-ification of everything is driving me nuts.
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm all over the map. Aeropress, V60, Chemex, French Press, Kalita Wave, Siphon Pot.

Aeropress has a lower ceiling but man you have to try kinda hard to screw it up.

Usually a use Comandante C40 hand grinder, but if I'm impatient I have a Capresso Infinity. Folgers in a Mr Coffee will get the job done in a pinch.
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have an espresso machine. As a black coffee drinker I was a little nervous about it, but Americanos are my absolute go to right now.

Have an Americano every morning and an espresso after lunch. Will sometimes do a flat white (or espresso martini) on the weekends.
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ill edit this over and over as they come. But here are some recommendations for some really tasty flavored coffee, and some others that I use for espresso made drinks

Duke's Speed Shop - Mexican Chocolate
Kauai Coffee - Toasty Banana Nut Creme
Cameron's Organic Peruvian Whole Bean (HEB dispenser)
Barissimo German Roasted
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gaggia Classic, latte every morning I have time.

Keurig with Illy k-cup when I don't.
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't really mess with flavored beans, but would love to discuss roasters. These are some of my favorites at the moment

Hydrangea - Bay area
Flower Child - Bay area
BlendIn - Houston
Native - Dallas
H&S - Laramie
La Cabra - Denmark/NYC

These are all on the lighter to sometimes ultralight side of things, and a lot of washed coffees, but they are all doing some great stuff currently.
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anybody recommend a good ice coffee maker? I started the crave on vacation and I can't stop now. I want to make my own now.

Costco has a single server Cuisinart on sale for under $50 right now.


stay low boys. keep those feet moving. go be perfect.

- chavez (fnl)
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think you need a specific machine to make an iced coffee. If you're just brewing regular coffee in a drip machine, make it a bit more concentrated and pour it over ice. If you're brewing with a hand brewer (V60 or Kalita) I recommend the following recipe.

Now if what you're referring to is cold brew, that is another story. I have not used the Cuisinart machine, but am familiar with the Toddy Brewers and can recommend them. You can also just steep coffee in a jar in your fridge overnight, strain it the following morning, and you're good to go.
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
finally figured out the best way to keep grinds out of my percolator brews. I use a small basket filter and then put a disc filter on top of my coffee. fold the basket filter over and put the top plate on. makes a perfect filter pouch and make incredibly good coffee.
God loves you so much He'll meet you where you are. He also loves you too much to allow to stay where you are.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
FancyKetchup14 said:

I don't really mess with flavored beans, but would love to discuss roasters. These are some of my favorites at the moment

Hydrangea - Bay area
Flower Child - Bay area
BlendIn - Houston
Native - Dallas
H&S - Laramie
La Cabra - Denmark/NYC

These are all on the lighter to sometimes ultralight side of things, and a lot of washed coffees, but they are all doing some great stuff currently.

I need to look into Blendin I guess. Right now I go to Luce Avenue because they have a storefront just down the road from me.
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He is legit. Brewers Cup champ a few years ago. It's definitely specialty-grade stuff.
Playfly Brinks Truck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bialetti, then add hot water to make an americano
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought Barissimo German Roasted at Aldi because its a cheap alternative and I go through a lot of grounds. I put it in a French press. Two espresso pucks worth.

Fwiw, it reminds me of Starbucks Antigua Guatemala. Not bad.

My list is updated with this one
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you are in Houston, the House of Coffee Beans in Rice Village is worth checking out. It has a lot of good single origin coffees and good blends.

A few recs-

for drip try India Monsooned Malabar (low acidity) or Tanzania Peaberry or Charlie's Blend;

for espresso drinks try Indonesia Sulawesi Kolassi or European Blend if you want something darker;

for French Press try Ethiopia Sidamo.

They have been around for 50 years and do their own roasting.
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Moccamaster but at this point 95% of the coffee I make is cold brew. Just seems to make a much better product to pour over ice.
amanda04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For cold brew, I have an OXO cold brew maker that I enjoy it thoroughly. The steeping and filtering is all done through the top piece, there's no additional filters needed, and It has a wide opening that it makes for easier grounds removal and cleaning when you're done. I've made cold brew it in a mason jar and it tastes the same but this makes it so much easier.

I bought mine from Facebook marketplace from someone who had never used it and actually picked up a second for a friend. But to be honest, if this one ever breaks, I'd pay full price in a heartbeat for it.
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked these up in a local shop and they hit their two week roast date today. I've been wanting to try their beans for a bit, but never could find one that piqued my interest. I'm always a sucker for anaerobic processings, but these are really nice. Definitely jammy, a bit full bodied like a cab sauv. Looking forward to seeing how the beans change over the next couple weeks, but a good first impression.


Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.