Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Prepared food items

1,875 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HtownAg92
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've GOT to eat better but meal prep and eating the same thing routinely is just not in the cards. I won't stick with it no matter how much I try.

My wife found grilled chicken breasts at Sams that ready to heat (warm up) and serve. I was skeptical at first about how good they might be, but I liked them. I can use these for all sorts of things, but I want additional protein items -- pork, beef, etc. For those that know, does Sams or someone else have similar items that are store to fridge? I'm in the DFW area.

Other items that I'd like to get are frozen vegis, but not the corn and peas type stuff. I'm interested in things like onions and peppers (hotter the better) that I can quickly saute and/or put into a crockpot for everything from a fajita type mix with the above chicken to a pot of beans.

Ideas along these lines would be most helpful. We usually go to Tom Thumb but also have Kroger and now HEB (as well as that Joes place) around here. Sams as well. I don't have a Costco membership but am more than willing to get one if they have something like this.

I'm not looking for prepared MEALS, although a rotisserie chicken recommendation would be fine. I have no issue throwing potatoes into the oven ahead of time and serving with the chicken and a vegi (fresh or frozen). I just need at least some verity in my meal planning or I'll drop it.
Langley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honest answer just throw that into ChatGPT and see what it gives you
chilidogfood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can prepare different flavor bases (seasonings, sauces, etc) and transform a common set of proteins/veg/rice into unique dishes by switching themes from asian, Mediterranean, mexican, etc.
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm confused by what you're asking for if you specifically don't want meals?
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
non fat greek protein greek yogurt PLAIN
frozen mixed berries
eggs
egg whites
deli turkey
rotisserie chicken
ground turkey
ground chicken
sirloin

MEASURE AND WEIGH IT

then eat as much of these as you wish:

carrots
cucumbers
spinach
lettuce
watermelon
mushrooms
zucchini
tomatoes
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
there are some good reels on insta and FB for no cooking high protein options at stores
basically yogurts, fruits, and frozen chicken breast
Troy91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I make a large packet of chicken breasts into shredded chicken in an instapot.

Then, you have 5 lbs of shredded chicken that you can season or flavor as you want. You can have chicken tacos. You can have bbq chicken. You can throw in tomato sauce. You can make enchiladas. You can make nachos.

Having a base protein that is already cooked is the secret. Then have an array of sauces and seasonings to change up the flavor profile.
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Use your freezer and vacuum sealer. Make a big batch of pulled pork, but try to keep it in bigger chunks. Pack it into vacuum seal bags and freeze it. It's great as tacos or pulled pork sandwiches.

Make pesto and freeze it. If you don't want to use basil because it's expensive, use parsley. It makes a great pesto. Freeze it in cup deli containers, and put it on everything. Make different kinds. Sun-dried tomato pesto is great too.

A well-stocked pantry can turn chicken and pork tenderloin into dozens of dishes depending on the flavor profile. This requires some planning, but it's not impossible.
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Kevin's meals are excellent. You can buy just the sauce if you want to make your own. I add frozen bell peppers to them.

John Noel is on instagram and youtube and he has an excellent series he calls "it's not cooking, it's just mixing stuff." He has a lot of quick and easy ideas.
ridan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since you have HEB nearby, hit their meat section. Their Meal Simple line has pre-cooked/pre-seasoned beef fajita strips, pork carnitas, and smoked meats that just need a quick microwave or skillet warm-up. Sam's also carries tubs of pre-cooked shredded pulled pork and beef brisket right near the deli section that freeze well if you divide them up. For veggies, Kroger and HEB both sell frozen "fajita blend" bags (sliced onions and bell peppers), which saut in under 5 minutes.

To keep it from getting boring, check out Yami online. You can stock up on quick Asian sauce packets, curry blocks, teriyaki glazes, and spicy chili oils. Tossing your pre-cooked Sam's chicken and frozen peppers into a pan with a random Asian sauce takes 5 minutes flat and completely transforms basic ingredients so you never feel like you're eating the same dinner twice.
Jetty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if healthy enough but we enjoy the ready to eat frozen meatballs from HEB… I put them in the toaster oven/airfyer get them crispy which removes some excess fats…. Then I cut them in half and use them to make a pizza on a crisped up flour tortilla (from the air fryer) add tomato sauce bell peppers,onions jalapeños mushrooms olives… I don't add cheese (Im lactose intolerant) hubby sometimes does and sometime doesn't add cheese. We really enjoy these. Again .. not sure if it is healthy enough. Hubs has used bbq sauce,grilled chicken,onion and Jalapenos etc..
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Use your freezer and vacuum sealer. Make a big batch of pulled pork, but try to keep it in bigger chunks. Pack it into vacuum seal bags and freeze it. It's great as tacos or pulled pork sandwiches.

Make pesto and freeze it. If you don't want to use basil because it's expensive, use parsley. It makes a great pesto. Freeze it in cup deli containers, and put it on everything. Make different kinds. Sun-dried tomato pesto is great too.

A well-stocked pantry can turn chicken and pork tenderloin into dozens of dishes depending on the flavor profile. This requires some planning, but it's not impossible.

Too late for this season, but a well "stocked" herb garden helps with the variety too. I planted rosemary, thyme, sage, basil and mint in a huge hanging pot on the deck close to the kitchen. When our mains or sides get tired, I change them up with an herb change. Made different butters with them and froze to bring out and add to a dish.

The pesto comment is spot on -- my basil has grown the most, almost 3 feet tall, so I've had to make a lot of pesto just to use it. I've put in on grilled chicken, port tenderloin, chick parm, Italian hoagies and of course, lots of pasta.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.