Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Dirty Rice

2,086 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by schmellba99
doctorAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the dirty rice at Pappadeaux. Anyone have a copycat recipe or another go-to recipe?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ornlu
AG
I don't, but I know it has liver in it. My wife used to love it, until she was a server at papadeaux in college and learned it has liver. She hasn't eaten it since.
RM76
AG
It doesn't have to have liver. We make it with half ground beef and half ground pork (browned), chopped onion, small amount of roux, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup to 2 to 3 pounds of meat, and plenty of seasoning (Tony's or similar). Cover with water or broth and let simmer for hour or so. Add chopped green onion at the end and mix with cooked rice at desired ratio. Serve. We call this rice dressing, but others refer to it as dirty rice.
Sethtevious
RM76 said:

It doesn't have to have liver. We make it with half ground beef and half ground pork (browned), chopped onion, small amount of roux, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup to 2 to 3 pounds of meat, and plenty of seasoning (Tony's or similar). Cover with water or broth and let simmer for hour or so. Add chopped green onion at the end and mix with cooked rice at desired ratio. Serve. We call this rice dressing, but others refer to it as dirty rice.
Some people replace the chicken gizzards or liver with mushrooms.

You can also use a pound of chopped andouille, bulk sausage, or tasso ham if you don't have ground pork.

No holy trinity in your dish?
RM76
AG
Sethtevious said:

Some people replace the chicken gizzards or liver with mushrooms.

You can also use a pound of chopped andouille, bulk sausage, or tasso ham if you don't have ground pork.

No holy trinity in your dish?

We use just onions and/or the white portion of the green onion at the beginning but you could add celery and bell pepper if desired.

I've never seen sausage or tasso used in rice dressing, that is more for Jambalaya, but of course one certainly could.
FIDO*98*
AG
-Drain and strain a container of chicken livers then puree livers in a blender
-Brown a pound of ground pork seasoned with salt. Pour about 1/2-3/4c pureed liver over pork and cook until done
-Deglaze (preferably with sherry) and remove from pan

-Cook a finely diced onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in a neutral oil, seasoned with Cajun spice, until tender. Mix with meat

-Add 2 cups of cooked long grain rice, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, few dashes of franks, and copious amounts of black pepper.

-Once everything is combined finish with finely chopped Italian parsley and sliced scallions

-Don't ever put cream of mushroom soup in your shopping cart much less your dirty rice

Ornlu
AG
RM76 said:

He asked for a clone of Pappadeaux's recipe. They definitely do NOT put cream of mushroom soup in it, and they definitely DO put chicken liver in it. That's not, just like, my opinion man ... My wife worked there and watched it happen in the kitchen.
RM76
AG
Ornlu said:

He asked for a clone of Pappadeaux's recipe. They definitely do NOT put cream of mushroom soup in it, and they definitely DO put chicken liver in it. That's not, just like, my opinion man ... My wife worked there and watched it happen in the kitchen.

He also asked for another go to recipe. I simply stated mine which is quick and easy and like by many family and friends, including many from south La.
Rattler12
Pretty tasty recipe out of the River Road cookbook. As it iot makes a ton so you may want to cut itback.

Gilligan
AG
What do you recommend to replace cream of mushroom soup. Cream of chicken too while we're at it
HTownAg98
Make a cream sauce thickened with a roux and some sauteed mushrooms for the mushroom soup, and a veloute (chicken stock thickened with a roux) for the cream of chicken soup.
FIDO*98*
AG
HTown covered it for where it makes sense. As it relates to this thread, soup/cream sauce doesn't belong in dirty rice or rice dressing at all so there wouldn't be a need to substitute.
schmellba99
AG
Two cups of rice (long grain)
Four cups chicken broth
Half pound chicken liver
Half pound pork, minced
Four tablespoons butter
Four garlic cloves
1/4 cup onions (thinly cut)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Two teaspoons old bay seasoning
One teaspoon oregano
A half-cup of green bell pepper
Bay leaf (one)
Seasoning salt (to taste)
Pepper, black (to taste)

Instructions
1. Cut onions and garlic cloves into small pieces. Put the chicken livers and ground pork into a food processor and pulse for five minutes until the mixture resembles ground meat.
2. Heat butter in a saucepan over low heat until it melts. Stir the meat mixture into a frying pan with medium-high heat and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it changes to brown.
3. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and old bay seasoning to the meat mixture and continue cooking for five more minutes.
4. Incorporate dry mustard with onion and garlic into your meat mixture and continue cooking for three minutes. Turn the heat off, transfer the meat mixture to a bowl, and set it aside.
5. Add the uncooked rice and whole chicken broth to the saucepan and cook over high heat. Add the chopped bell pepper.
6. In 10 minutes, the broth should begin to boil. Cover it and allow it to cook for 20 minutes over low heat. Ensure you stir it occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.
7. Put the rice and meat mixture into a separate saucepan and cook for approximately 5 minutes over low heat. Serve.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.