Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas chili vs other state's classics.........

3,449 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Buzzy
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am a huge chili fanatic. As many are on here TBS. Been cooking it my whole adulthood. I like to read about regional differences in the dish. Especially as c/w TX. I have cooked them all and have excellent recipes for them.
I'd like to know other's thoughts on the best and opinions on other varieties.

A few state examples but I have cooked many others:

TX: classic red. Most say it is beanless and served via large chunks of chuck and pureed dried chiles. Beanless. I humbly disagree. I like mine with beans, sans the dried chile puree.

CO: Red. chunky chuck with dried pepper puree emulsion, traditional spices. Served with rice. Tasty but not may fav.

NM: Green. Tomatillos base. Close to my fav as c/w red for me. Divine. Made with pork. See thread on this forum for recipe. My family's fav.

OH: Red. Weird but tasty. Served with cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, chocolate on a mound ouf cheese. People there swear by it.

LA: Red. Smiilar to TX but more sugar added and cajun spices.

CA: Red. typically made with turkey, more veggies. Not a fav of mine.

TX: White. Huge fan and crowd pleaser at my house. Chicken based and traditional seasonings plus chicken stock, white beans and sour cream.

TX is my fav. Red and white. Followed by NM green.

Deep South: Other than LA. I'm in AL bout to move to MS. Basically not existent "regional" chili.

Appreciate others thoughts ideas/recipes.

NColoradoAG
Marcus Aurelius said:

So I am a huge chili fanatic. As many are on here TBS. Been cooking it my whole adulthood. I like to read about regional differences in the dish. Especially as c/w TX. I have cooked them all and have excellent recipes for them.

CO: Red. chunky chuck with dried pepper puree emulsion, traditional spices. Served with rice. Tasty but not may fav.

You put a lot into the post so I may defer but I've never had anything here in my 25 years in Colorado that anyone would call chili that wasn't pork green chile. I love it and a lot of places do it great. But anytime I've had anything in a chili competition that wasn't a classic green chile it has been a ****y bean and corn filled ground beef abomination.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Yeah I understand. My post based on "traditional" state recipes. If one looks CO is as I mentioned. I understand however.
NColoradoAG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Yeah I understand. My post based on "traditional" state recipes. If one looks CO is as I mentioned. I understand however.

Fair. I guess I'd like to see and try some of these recipes/styles you are trying to compare
Marcus Aurelius
AG
check out Sam the Cooking guy post on FB from today. Colorado chili. Good stuff.
FIDO*98*
AG
OP is referring to Chile Colorado which is Stew size beef in red Chile that's more similar to Guisada than TX Chili. Maybe it's just not served much in CO
FIDO*98*
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

So I am a huge chili fanatic…….

TX: classic red. Most say it is beanless and served via large chunks of chuck and pureed dried chiles. Beanless. I humbly disagree. I like mine with beans, sans the dried chile puree.

That's pretty far off base for Texas Red. You got the beanless part right, but quintessential Texas Chili is small cubed or coarsely ground ground chuck made with chili powder among other spices.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I'm making chili this afternoon using small dice chuck and coarse grind GB. Making a puree with reconstituted New Mexico and ancho chilies along with 2-3 chipotle's in adobo. What's the difference between using ground New Mexico and ancho chilies versus reconstituted and pureed?
B-1 83
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

I'm making chili this afternoon using small dice chuck and coarse grind GB. Making a puree with reconstituted New Mexico and ancho chilies along with 2-3 chipotle's in adobo. What's the difference between using ground New Mexico and ancho chilies versus reconstituted and pureed?
The flavor. I do use New Mexico chili powder, but I also use the "reconstituted" and pured New Mexico chilies, anchos, cascabels, and pasillas. Much better.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
MookieBlaylock
AG
Says he respects traditional state recipes and then makes bean soup
Teslag
AG
That BS in Ohio should never be mentioned in a chili thread. I don't even think it contains any actualy chilies or chili pepper. Had it once on a layover in Cinci on a cold night. Was very very displeased since I was expecting actual chili.
fav13andac1)c
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

So I am a huge chili fanatic…….

That's pretty far off base for Texas Red. You got the beanless part right, but quintessential Texas Chili is small cubed or coarsely ground ground chuck made with chili powder among other spices.
Curious as to where Chili Con Carne falls into that? That's what I think of when it comes to Texas Red, and it originated in Texas (debatable I guess).
Dumpster Fire
Salute The Marines said:

That BS in Ohio should never be mentioned in a chili thread. I don't even think it contains any actualy chilies or chili pepper. Had it once on a layover in Cinci on a cold night. Was very very displeased since I was expecting actual chili.

Agreed. It's just spiced up spaghetti sauce.
AgNav93
AG
Salute The Marines said:

I was thinking about this today. Worst excuse for a chilli ever. And those jokers think they're the chilli capital of the world. Frickin' yankees.
Tanya 93
KC chili seems to be a lot of pulled pork, beans, onions, and cumin.

Little chili powder. Sometimes chopped brisket with the pulled pork.

I am good with making my own.
JCA1
AG
There's some language in it but this really old deadspin article ranks food items by state. Cincinnati chili comes in dead last, just after getting hit by a car. Needless to say, he's not impressed. Very funny.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024/amp
Bunk Moreland
I will say anytime i've been to Cincy, people I know there who say to go get Skyline Chili all give me a major warning. And it seems 50% of people there hate it, 40% love it, 10% just acquired the taste but acknowledge it's weird as *****

Nobody has ever tried to send me there without some sort of disclaimer...which I appreciated.
Ag MD 84
AG
Not really chili but---was in a bar in Dublin once, with some friends from Louisville, since they were with a bunch of Texans, they thought it would be a good idea to order some "nachos.' I swear to you, it tasted like doritos with spaghetti sauce.
Potcake
AG
Such an expected and novel response.
Baacma02
AG
Take your favorite bowl of chili and add a spoonful of peanut butter. Thank me later.
tlepoC
AG
You have me intrigued
dmart90
AG
JCA1 said:

There's some language in it but this really old deadspin article ranks food items by state. Cincinnati chili comes in dead last, just after getting hit by a car. Needless to say, he's not impressed. Very funny.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024/amp

That is some of the worst "professional" writing I've ever read. The skyline chili bit was spot on, however.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Baacma02 said:

Take your favorite bowl of chili and add a spoonful of peanut butter. Thank me later.

The bowl or the pot? I'd have a hard time adding it to the bowl, but I can see where adding it to the pot might be interesting.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Peanut butter in chili sounds awful. Some kind of weird chili satay mixture.
TXAG 05
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Peanut butter in chili sounds awful. Some kind of weird chili satay mixture.

Agreed. I like peanut butter and I like chili, but the combination of that just sounds bad.
Baacma02
AG
I've tried adding the PB to the pot and the bowl, I prefer the bowl and also don't want to force the PB on everyone for the batch when I make it. It's not something that everyone is going to like but it's worth a try for something different. For those that think it "sounds bad", you haven't tried it yet, and you don't taste with your ears.
tlepoC
AG
The important question is JIF or Peter Pan?
aggietony2010
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

"Chili Colorado" is not traditional to the state. The state and the dish get their name from the same Spanish word meaning ruddy/red.
Rattler12
To make an authentic original Texas chili one has to leave the meat out on the counter for 4 or 5 days until a noticable spoiled meat smell starts. It will also be more tender as a result.....
B-1 83
AG
FIDO*98* said:

OP is referring to Chile Colorado which is Stew size beef in red Chile that's more similar to Guisada than TX Chili. Maybe it's just not served much in CO
I used to get this in the Panhandle and New Mexico. It very much is like a spicier guisada

Chile Colorado Recipe - Tastes Better from Scratch
B-1 83
AG
B-1 83 said:

FIDO*98* said:

I used to get this in the Panhandle and New Mexico. It very much is like a spicier guisada

Chile Colorado Recipe - Tastes Better from Scratch
After being reminded about Chili Colorado, I made a batch for my ranch trip. I'd forgotten how good it was with The Wife's beans and fresh corn tortillas.
HTownAg98
Gramercy Riffs said:

Baacma02 said:

The bowl or the pot? I'd have a hard time adding it to the bowl, but I can see where adding it to the pot might be interesting.
If you don't go overboard with the peanut butter, you could get it tasting something akin to a mole, which is certainly good eats.
Rattler12
HTownAg98 said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Baacma02 said:

If you don't go overboard with the peanut butter, you could get it tasting something akin to a mole, which is certainly good eats.
But then you have to add chocolate ......
Baacma02
AG
Skippy Natural is my go to.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Mike is great but it doesn't taste like peanut butter.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.