Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fredericksburg Wines

8,337 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bularry
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and I are taking a trip and will want to hit one or two vineyards up. I know there are tons of threads, but all seem somewhat dated. Also looking online seems like their are some new places around up there I've never heard of.

I am looking for recs of the best places that offer tastings for the two of us. We are not wanting the places where you belly up to the bar with bachelorette parties. We've done William Chris and Signor Vineyards in years past. Just curious what else would be our best options?
AggieOO
We really like Inwood. You won't see any Bachelorette parties there.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Calais Winery makes some outstanding wine and is a very different setting than the touristy turnstyle places. The guy is from France and truly makes outstanding wine. It is expensive, but on an entire other level from what most are attempting to do in the Hill Country. You would have driven past it on the way to William Chris in Hye.
https://calaiswinery.com/

Perissos Vineyards is another that puts out a high-quality product. I haven't been there in 7-8 years, but they are unique as a family working the land, the quality of the wine, and that many of their wines come 100% from varietals grown on site. They are closer to Burnet, so off the beaten path from the bachelorette party crowd.
https://www.perissosvineyards.com/tasting/

I've heard good things about Ab Astris, but haven't been there myself.
gus1390
AG
We loved Bingham
Leeman
I agree - Calais is excellent (though expensive). You need a RSVP to get a tasting there.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Bill Chris
Lost Cellars
RustyBoltz
AG
We've made a trip every year and try to hit different vineyards each time. This fall's trip we did a bit more of the of the vineyards off the 290 strip hoping to find quieter venues. We really enjoyed Kalasi Cellars, Narrow Path (the vineyard, not tasting room) and Bingham Family for their quietness, good wine and decent variety (wife likes sweeter whites, I prefer dry reds).
The ones we were recommended this past trip and to try next time are Lost Draw and 12 Fires (Aggie owned).
ValleyRatAg
AG
Heath Sparkling
Grape Creek

What I like bubbles

Signor and Untamed Wine as well.
AggieOO
We like perissos, as well as 7 creeks, but those are far from Fredericksburg.
bmc13
AG
in Fredericksburg proper, we like lost draw and pontotoc
kithas
AG
Hilmy was great. William Criss as well - make a reservation and have them set up a picnic lunch for you.

bularry
visited Adega Vinho this past weekend and thought those wines were very good (the reds). pretty place, too

Definitely much different style than Inwood or Calais....
cypress-ag
AG
William Chris
Narrow Path ( very close to Garrison Brothers Whiskey so that's a plus if you need a break)
Pedernales
Ab Astris
Hilmy

My recommendation is ask the people pouring what other vineyards they like and match your flavor preferences.
AggieOO
bularry said:

visited Adega Vinho this past weekend and thought those wines were very good (the reds). pretty place, too

We liked adega too. Forgot about that one.
Ag_07
AG
bularry said:

Another vote for Adega

Wines were very good, service was nice, and environment is great.
bushytailed
AG
cypress-ag said:

William Chris
Pedernales
Ab Astris
Hilmy

My recommendation is ask the people pouring what other vineyards they like and match your flavor preferences.

These. French Connection is excellent as well
AustinCountyAg
I know William Chris and Pedernales both make good red's....how are the reds at Ab Astris, narrow path and Adega Vinho?
Topher17
AG
Southold Farm & Cellars - best views of any winery in the Hill Country.
Crowson Wines in Johnson City is great too.

bularry
Topher17 said:

Southold Farm & Cellars - best views of any winery in the Hill Country.
Crowson Wines in Johnson City is great too.

Southold wines not for everyone, but yeah, the views are amazing.
Txmoe
AG
Another vote for Pedernales, good wine and good setting. One tasting we wanted to do but couldn't cuz it was sold out was for the Heath Sparkling Wines (https://www.heathsparkling.com/). They're part of Grape Creek and as far as I know the only sparkling wine tasting in F'burg. Setting looks nice but don't know anything about the wines.
PuryearAg98
AG
12 Fires Winery & Vineyard
Go see the new building, and have Duke walk you through all the different wines they have. Good Ags, with really good wine.
cecil77
AG
Lots of good thoughts on this thread.

Obviously I'm biased, but come see me any Saturday at Inwood Estates, or let me know and I can be there most anytime. We're open 7 days. Reservations on Saturday are a good idea. The $35 sit down "barrel room tasting" is a bargain as you get the time with Dan and taste through almost $1,000 (bottle price) of wine. The Reserve Room is me and the Barrel Tasting is Dan. Inwood Saturday Reservations

Calais is the other that is producing wines in our quality range and price point. If you get Ben it's a great time, but Mary does very well, also. Ask for a taste of the Botrytis Texas - Sauternes style chenin blanc. Reservations requied.

Kalasi is convenient in town and releasing some good wines. Dan and Spencer Gatlin of Inwood are now the winemakers, and although '21 will be their first vintage, they have finished and reblended some of the current Kalasi wines and they are quite good. Greg and Nakila are good folks.

12 Fires is a must for Aggies. Say hello to Duke, and if there on Saturdays, Martin '84.

William Chris is also Aggie owned. Reservations required.

EclipseAg
AG
PuryearAg98 said:

12 Fires Winery & Vineyard
Go see the new building, and have Duke walk you through all the different wines they have. Good Ags, with really good wine.
I'm not a wine expert, but I really like a lot of the 12 Fires wines. The tempranillo is great.
Bert315
AG
In no particular order,

Kuhlman
William Chris
Pedernales
Hilmy
CloudRusty
Augusta Vin
Narrow Path
Baron Creek

And if you're looking for a good laugh, Fat Ass Ranch and Winery. Just a fun, loose interpretation of wine
CoachRTM
AG
Signor and Pedernales are our current favorites, but we haven't tried a number of places mentioned above.
Bert315
AG
CloudRusty said:

Augusta Vin
Narrow Path
Baron Creek

And if you're looking for a good laugh, Fat Ass Ranch and Winery. Just a fun, loose interpretation of wine

Wife and I go every December for a few days of relaxation away from the kids and are headed back again this year. We already are planning on trying Augusta based on friends recommendations. We are members at Kuhlman but like to do a couple others each time we go.
AustinCountyAg
curious what yall thought of this itinerary for my wife and I next weekend....

On the drive in Friday do a tasting at William Chris that afternoon, then hang out in town after the tasting and that evening.

Saturday: do a tasting at Narrow Path around 11:30ish....then maybe go to Albert and drink a beer or two there, then maybe hit up one more winery on the way back to Fredericksburg. I'm trying to decide between Narrow Path and Pedernales for our tasting on Saturday. From what I gather the wine is better at Pedernales, but the atmosphere seems way nicer at Narrow Path?

Also playing into the decision Saturday is going to the first winery and most likely eating lunch there, or a good charcuterie board.
wadd96
AG
If going out 290 from Austin, CL Butaud in Dripping Springs is a must.

Calais is great! Been is a hoot. Found a couple we liked at Ron Yates.

Avoid Grape Creek and Becker.

Go see Cecil.

(Saying this just having gotten back from the Central Coast and heading to Napa in 6 weeks.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
medwriter
gus1390 said:

We loved Bingham
Without cheating, is this and most of the rest in the hill country? It's so beautiful there.
HTownAg98
Has Hilmy gotten better? We joined their club when they first opened, and the wines were great to start with, and then became worse over the next two years. When then tried them again, joined, and the same thing happened; the wines got worse. Do they now have a consistent winemaker and source from better vineyards now?
wadd96
AG
Biggest key to Texas wine makers is they have to know what grows well in the Hill Country and the High Plains. Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay do not do well here. There are so many other varietals that work well, from the dryer regions of Spain and France, and to an extent Italy, that any winemaker worth their salt will learn to make wines off of those rather than try to push a s****y Cab.

One of my best friends is a wine maker out of Napa and the Central coast, and he is starting a winery in Leakyy with a certain member of the Texas A&M Board of Regents. Looking forward to seeing what that produces.
AustinCountyAg
whats the average amount of time to schedule between tasting reservations?
wadd96
AG
I'd say 2 hours...
bularry
I'll put a plug in for a new smaller winery, Noblemen wines. They will do a tasting with you at Kerrville Wines location.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.