Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smoking Beef Cheeks

1,828 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Earp16
AgNav93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got 5 lbs of beef cheeks from my butcher just to do something different. I'm planning on smoking them. Does anybody have any experience with this? Any lessons learned? I was planning on smoking it like a brisket at about 225-275 until an internal temperature of 205-210.
texag06ish
AG
Smoke them until they pull apart like pulled pork. Start checking around 195 but your really looking for little to no resistance when you probe and a nice jiggle.
HTownAg98
You will want to clean them a bit before cooking them. They have some connective tissue that won't break down during cooking.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I do not but was thinking earlier that I want to smoke beef cheeks then transfer to a braise to make barbacoa.

I've never done either (BC nor barbacoa).
Take the trash out staff.
smstork1007
AG
Have made these a few times and was very happy with the results.
sanitariex
AG

This has been on my list to do for a while now.
ToddyHill
AG
Good luck with them. Years ago, I had beef cheeks in a Mexican restaurant. I could not get past the texture. Maybe it was me but it was a complete turn off.

Ironically, pork cheeks are part of many pepperoni recipes. I guess once they're ground they are a whole different animal, no pun intended.
G-Town Cracker
AG
That's a good plan. I did some just like that a few months ago any they turned out really good. The best I've ever had were at Leroy and Lewis, but I believe they finish theirs in a beef tallow confit. I was too lazy for that.
rosco511
AG
I have done the tallow method, and it is awesome.
Reel Aggies
AG
Clean them, sprinkle with your favorite bbq seasoning, throw in a cast iron Dutch oven with chopped onion, jalapeos, and a couple bay leaves and put on the smoker when you cook a brisket next. Let it get good smoke and the put a lid on. When your briskets done your cachete will be ready. Stir it all around to mix and scrape all the crunchy bits up off the bottom. Flour tortillas, cilantro, onion and lime. You won't buy that crock pot crap ever again.
Mathguy64
AG
So I'm doing this for the first time and either I got two bad packs of cheeks or the videos got really good ones. I trimmed what was loose fat and sinewy stuff and silver skin and ended with more waste than meat.

Is that normal or am I over trimming?
HTownAg98
Mathguy64 said:

So I'm doing this for the first time and either I got two bad packs of cheeks or the videos got really good ones. I trimmed what was loose fat and sinewy stuff and silver skin and ended with more waste than meat.

Is that normal or am I over trimming?

Nope, when I made some, there was a lot of waste.
Reel Aggies
AG
Yeah seems like about 2lb good meat to 3-4lb of crap when you clean them
Mathguy64
AG
Breakfast of champions.

Earp16
AG
I did the Meat Church recipe above a few weeks ago. Flavor was great, but agreed with too much waste on the cheeks I bought as well. First time doing beef cheeks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.