Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide Chicken

1,246 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Diggity
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm new to this type of cooking. Have done steaks twice and they were awesome, but the chicken guidance threw me for a loop. I'm used to grilling/smoking until about 160 and letting the carryover cook get it up to safe while still being juicy and not drying out. These charts are saying 140-150 for the water bath. What do you all do?

I currently have 3 bone-in chicken breasts in 145 degree water and I was planning on 2 hours, then putting on the primo at about 500 degrees for a few minutes. Any advice (or what you like to do) would be appreciated. Thanks.
Max Power
AG
This might have what you're looking for.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html
m.stat
AG
Seems strange but I season the chicken and follow the 2 hour bath at 140 then sear. Comes out perfect every time. Keeps it from ever getting stringy or dry.
KyleJ2012
AG
Do you sear after? Or just serve it straight from the sous vide?
Bulldog73
AG
Specifically with meats, I can't imagine not searing anything I sous vide.

Due to the time the meat is at the internal temperature, the chicken is pasteurized as opposed to the "instant" pasteurization that occurs at 165 (I think that's the temp, I'm too lazy to look it up this minute).
m.stat
AG
Definitely sear after
agcrock2005
AG
Well I don't know how the heck it works (meaning how it's safe) but it was the juiciest fully cooked chicken I've ever eaten. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to trying some new recipes on this thing now.
Mule_lx
AG
Pasteurization is a function of time and temperature. One second at 165 or more time at 145. Remember 120 is scalding. 145 is pretty damned hot for a single cell organism.
Diggity
AG
Personally, I think it's overkill to fire up the charcoal grill for a sear. With a cast iron pan and a decent gas range, you can accomplish the same task with much less work.
agcrock2005
AG
Diggity said:

Personally, I think it's overkill to fire up the charcoal grill for a sear. With a cast iron pan and a decent gas range, you can accomplish the same task with much less work.
I was thinking the same thing last night. Would have been much easier to do it on the range.
HouseDivided06
AG
My 2 favorite things I have done with chicken cooked sous vide:

1. Pound chicken to roughly even thickness and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried thyme, and dry rosemary. Place in bag, and put 2 lemon slices on top and 2 underneath. Cook at 146 for 2 hours, pull, pat dry, another small sprinkle of salt (the lemon juice dilutes some of the salt), then sear in a skillet for a minute per side.

2. Really simple. Pound chicken to roughly even thickness and put in a bowl. Pour a couple tablespoons of olive oil, then do a good amount of pesto (I use Costco pesto) and mix well so chicken is thoroughly coated. Put in the vacuum seal bag, pour left over olive oil and pesto mixture in, and seal using the wet seal feature. Then same thing, 146 for 2 hours and sear. Really good mixed with pasta and topped with parmesan.
Diggity
AG
well *****..I don't have a wet seal feature. I needz!

HouseDivided06
AG
This is the model I have and has worked well for me, and I use the hell out of it. Had it for about 2 years or so. The moist setting basically pulls the air out at a slower rate and stops sooner. Gets all the air out but doesn't pull the marinade with it. Have been very impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonsenkitchen-Machine-Automatic-Preservation-VS3802-White/dp/B082KJD6FW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxhLZioob_OHe8IBV6pYjm_UdIgxYUyg7Gm6mVvcaFV7smjEauTycIQaAr8nEALw_wcB&hvadid=293241981999&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9026925&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11420085403226819120&hvtargid=kwd-519768308845&hydadcr=20215_9566464&keywords=bonsenkitchen+vacuum+sealer&qid=1614977571&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A2ZDQA6FXI3DS2&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDSVVTQjJSREY3NUMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxNzU5NDhGS1NLSTFXMElHTVMmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDA2NTQ0NzNEQTlPNUVTS1ZUSCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Diggity
AG
looks perfect. Price is right too.

I'll have to check that out when my current one eventually craps the bed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.